Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2017, 08:07 AM

7,185 posts, read 9,322,724 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
What's the best way to protect yourself as a consumer against winding up with a flood damaged car? Will a carfax always show it?
Best way?

Buy a new car or buy a used car with a verifiable past life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2017, 08:31 AM

11,582 posts, read 6,738,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vision67 View Post
Best way?

Buy a new car or buy a used car with a verifiable past life.

Exactly this! If you are looking at a used car, make sure to get the Carfax!

Old 08-30-2017, 09:42 AM

9,601 posts, read 31,704,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JONOV View Post
Name names...Who cares, if its in the public record? Assuming you're referring to the ABC investigation and the F-350 that USAA declared a total, then sold at an auction without branding the title since they couldn't find the title? The same car, that had flood damage noted twice in its history?

You want to slam USAA here, fine, but anyone that didn't know that truck was a flood car had it coming.
I was only responding to your question / comment . . . "I've never seen an insurance agent sell a car."

No attempt whatsoever to slam any one Insurance Company as there is plenty of blame to go around. Sadly, the incident you mentioned is only one of hundreds, possibly thousands. When an Insurance Agent / Company conveniently forgets to report flood damage, the vehicle escapes the Salvage Title status as well as the negative reports on CarFax and the other reporting sites.

Definitely NOT GOOD for prospective buyers.

Old 08-30-2017, 09:52 AM

564 posts, read 449,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katana49 View Post
same thing that happened to all the cars that were flooded in katrina... They'll be totaled by insurance, wind up at auction, shops/people will buy them for next to nothing, "repair" them, and try to sell them at what seems like a really good deal to the general public who will end up getting screwed over.
x2

Old 08-30-2017, 10:02 AM

15,479 posts, read 15,626,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blisterpeanuts View Post
At least they'll be nice and clean!
Not really. Flood waters are filled with sewage, chemicals, gasoline, etc. The carpeting will mold. Yeah, clean.

Old 08-30-2017, 10:08 AM

604 posts, read 653,606 times
it will boost sales of new cars, since I think used car market will be dead for a while in TX and area...

Old 08-30-2017, 10:09 AM

4,214 posts, read 3,761,938 times
I am probably one of the few, but certain cars just bring a smile to my face without even realizing it. My wife gets mad because she says that not even she can put a smile on my face, lol. Anyway, I love cars, particularly older ones. I would love to have a warehouse full of these old cars that I was able to save from the scrap yard that have stories behind them. So with that being said, if I ever purchased a car that was previously in a flood I would have no intention of selling it. I would be on the hunt for Classics, GT500's, Hellcats, or pretty much anything else I would never be able to afford as long as I could get them for cheap. I would love to have a garage full of non functioning high end cars that I can mess around with, but that's just me.

I agree that there are too many people that are trying to make a quick buck but there are also others that enjoy a fun project that would love to save some of these from the scrap heap. I tend to see the potential in everything.

Old 08-30-2017, 11:19 AM

17,310 posts, read 22,056,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
They should all be turned into scrap metal. But unscrupulous people will buy them cheap and then do enough to get them running and try to sell them again either here in USA or in other countries.
Autonation has 17 dealerships in that Houston area (not sure how many were affected). CEO said on CNBC all the damaged cars will be scrapped, insurance will pay the losses. They are going to bring in inventory from all over the nation to replenish the lost stock as they expect strong car sales in that area (due to everyone losing their car/truck).

Old 08-30-2017, 11:23 AM

17,310 posts, read 22,056,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mustangman66 View Post
So with that being said, if I ever purchased a car that was previously in a flood I would have no intention of selling it. I would be on the hunt for Classics, GT500's, Hellcats, or pretty much anything else I would never be able to afford as long as I could get them for cheap. I would love to have a garage full of non functioning high end cars that I can mess around with, but that's just me.
The part you are missing is the new cars have computers for everything so one short can wipe out several computers in one shot! I think long term storage will give you a building full of mold!

Your buy/hold strategy might work for hard parts (fenders/glass/engine parts) but as far as "working on them" you will need a lot of computer software and experience!

Old 08-30-2017, 11:32 AM

4,214 posts, read 3,761,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City Guy997S View Post
The part you are missing is the new cars have computers for everything so one short can wipe out several computers in one shot! I think long term storage will give you a building full of mold!

Your buy/hold strategy might work for hard parts (fenders/glass/engine parts) but as far as "working on them" you will need a lot of computer software and experience!
Even if they never run again, id be ok with them taking up space in my garage. I am a little weird when it comes to cars, I wouldn't want them for parts. Id thoroughly clean them up and just let them sit there to give me something nice to look at when I walk through the garage. I'm definitely not a computer guy and I hate dealing with major electrical repair but I hate seeing nice cars go to waste.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive