Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2017, 11:26 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,820,680 times

Advertisements

I have met people who tell their story about the one time they got pulled over 15 years ago as a dramatic life event. I am always thinking they must have a pretty dull life if that is their big event, but different people have different perspectives. Their mind might be saying "Yes I set up water filtration systems that saved the lives of 50,000 people in Bamabia, and I hold 150 patents for my inventions, but let me tell you about the really exciting thing - I got pulled over one night for speeding WOW!"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2017, 11:56 AM

28,115 posts, read 63,680,034 times
I have to wonder sometimes if there is a bigger plan for us all...

I was driving home on a 3-day weekend and there was a very irractic driver in and out of lanes... on the shoulder and nearly casued several accidents on the freeway...

Thinking this guy is going to kill someone I see up in the distance a Highway Patrol with 3 kids pulled over on the shoulder in an older car...

I flash my lights and pull up behind...

The officer was most cautious as I approached... I said do you see that car weaving... here is the license number and the guy is going to get someone killed...

Officer thanks me and tells the kids today is their lucky day and speeds off...

I go back to my car and all 3 in the pulled over car are thanking me with jesters from hands in prayer to mouthing thank you... never seen more appreciative young men.

Often wondered the how and why everything came together at that moment in time.

Then again, other similar things have happened to me... being at the right place at the right time.

Old 09-08-2017, 11:59 AM

19,719 posts, read 16,846,967 times
Yeah, I used to street race, so I have been "interviewed" a few times. But the last time I was pulled over for a traffic infraction was in about 1986 or so, been lucky for a long time. Every so often I open up the headers on my one car, and have had police sit next to me at a light, and they never bothered me because I was not being an idiot.

However, one night I was leaving my shop in the industrial park late , probably around midnight or one oclock, and I saw headlights coming up on me fast. He lit me up, and asked what I was doing back in there that late, so I explained I was working late at my shop. He apologized, handed my license back and was walking back to his car. I said "Oh, Officer, BTW, thank you for keeping an eye on our shops back there. We appreciate you watching out for us."

The next day I called the supervisor at his barracks and thanked them for him stopping me. They also pulled my son over around that time, and he did the same thing I did.

Old 09-08-2017, 12:04 PM

50,315 posts, read 47,056,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arkay66 View Post
Well, no. They've never been in my car...
You are missin out. My GF, a copper, was pretty hot!!

Old 09-08-2017, 12:41 PM

2,994 posts, read 5,591,209 times
In my 22 years of driving i've been pulled over less then a handful of times. I have no speeding tickets or anything on my driving record.

Old 09-08-2017, 12:52 PM

6,033 posts, read 6,150,000 times
If you ride a motorcycle, you will contact the police. That simple, really. You'll often be at fault, going faster than you should. Usually it's harder to control speed on a bike, and fun to go fast. Bike call to a certain jackass personality, and also to Outlaw Bikers. Both are very, very dangerous for completely opposite reasons. Cops are very wary of both. They need to be. So, I'm half-guilty by association.

So, too: I've met the police periodically since 1987 when on a bike.

In a car, I bend rules and seem to meet the police maybe every other year. Sometimes there are tickets. My lawyer has made two tickets go away since 2008, one bike and one car moving violation. No problem; it's supplemental road tax, I figure.

I've never been hassled hard by a cop, but then again I posture myself to be non-threatening. If I was, I'd repeat everything I've seen in those online videos and say very little indeed. When young, may have talked myself into a ticket or two by saying dumb stuff. Now, I'm pleasant but say very little. Answers to questions are only within bounds of the law and my Constitutional rights. I have yet to say, "I decline to answer to protect my 4th (5th, 6th) Amendment rights." I will if-needed, though.

No, I have never been stopped on the street by the police, other than when 21 or so and entering a riot area doubling as a block party. They told us to get the _____ outta here, before we'd gotten within a block, so four of us did, pronto. Kids do dumb stuff like wander into riots, looking for free beer. No excuse, just unwise!

Old 09-08-2017, 01:00 PM

7,029 posts, read 4,898,284 times
I've had my share of being pulled over, speeding, rolling through a stop sign, headlight being out. I was also pulled over for no cause was when I was just driving through town going to work. I had a beat up old truck and the cop in front of me pulled over and then pulled out behind me. I so knew he was going to stop me I started pulling over almost before he had his lights on. This was a very rich little town and poor people like me (the ones who didn't drive Alfa Romeos and Porsches) were automatically suspicious.

I got to know that cop because he would come into the store for coffee where I worked later on and I always teased him about 'economic profiling'. He took it pretty good.

Old 09-08-2017, 08:23 PM

2,024 posts, read 1,315,375 times
Count all the times I've been stopped by the police? You're asking a lot.

Another time, on foot, my brothers and I were playing in our backyard about 9:00PM throwing water balloons at each other. We were age 10-14. He came racing up, showed us his gun and put us in the back of his car. He babbled questions of the "you know what I'm talking about" nature. We had no idea what he was talking about.
We lived at the intersection of two cities and unincorporated county, he wasn't sure which jurisdiction he was in, so he called all three.
What showed up was three cars of the some of biggest southern-sheriff type cops I ever saw. They towered over him. You would not believe the crap they gave the guy that grabbed us. I heard things like "why didn't you call for backup before you went in? I can't believe you took them on by yourself." One cop had a water balloon in his hand, and he said "What were you thinking of? You've got a family. And they had these" holding the balloon out in front of the guy's face.
Anyway, they let us go. We told our parents and it turns out that a church a half mile away had been egged a week ago, so that guy was hoping to catch the miscreants.

While teenager/early 20's I got pulled a few times for "seemed to be driving erratic" (I didn't use alcohol until I was about 60) and do not do drugs. They were just being snoopy. I said hello, didn't show attitude, and got sent on my way.
Thank you snoopy cops for keeping our roads safe.

I used to have to work downtown on computers and often went in or left in the AM's, so I got a few stopped for cop being curious a few times.
I thank you curious cops for keeping my city safe.

One time I pulled a cop over because I thought he wanted to pull me over. I knew it was an odd stop when he said "What do you want". We chatted, and he went on his way saying "I have to go help the drunks get home safely"; it was 3:00 AM bar-closing time.
I do not envy you, 3:00AM drunk wrangling cops.

The most recent was about four years ago. I barked the tires at the last stop sign before my house and got pulled over.
Dumba** me. Tip: Always look in your review mirror beforehand.
I stopped a few doors from my house. He told me that it was about time to grow up (I'm in my 60's), and go on home.
Thank you for watching my neighborhood cop, but it is not yet growing-up time for me.

I have gotten a few tickets. I would say I get a ticket about 2/3 of the time when I've done something wrong. Four times I just took off and outran them, but I don't drive that car anymore. I also went to jail briefly for such foolishness.

Old 09-08-2017, 08:24 PM

8,518 posts, read 3,757,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TerryChristan View Post
Watching a programme about people being pulled over by the police so want to know how many people have been pulled over by the police while out and about

For me I haven't , luckily.

Although if it counts I have been stopped while walking the streets when I was 19 , I think it was because I looked young and thought I should have been in school.
More times than I can remember. Recently for speeding. Was let go with a warning.

Old 09-08-2017, 08:51 PM

22,473 posts, read 12,003,345 times
I haven't been pulled over but was in the car when my husband got pulled over.

The first time was back in the 80s. We had a Plymouth Horizon at the time. If you know about that car, it was poorly made and at 6 years old, it looked like it was on its last legs.

We were friends with a married couple who were visiting from out of town. So, along with our then 2 year old daughter, we all went out to dinner nearby.

After dinner, we all got into the car. Our daughter was strapped into our car seat and the adults were buckled up. My husband was making a right turn off a road where there was a turn lane with a yield sign. No cars were coming so he just merged onto the road. The next thing we knew a very bright light was shining into our car, then we saw the police lights. He pulled over and a cop came over to the car and shined a bright flashlight into our car. Our daughter said "I see a policeman". I answered "yes".

The cop asked for my husband's license. After he saw it, he gave my husband a lecture about how he didn't stop at the yield sign and that he should know better since we lived nearby. Ummm... the sign said "yield" and there was no traffic on the road. The cop then just let us go.

I think what happened was the cop was behind us and noticed 4 adults in a junky looking car and perhaps thought we were teenagers up to no good. Thus, he made up an excuse to stop us.

The second time my husband got pulled over was in Nebraska. We were on a cross country trip and were on a state road in NE. My husband got a lead foot. A state trooper pulled him over and gave him a warning, then let us go.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive