Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2017, 06:00 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,530,989 times

Advertisements

I don't like being cut off. I wouldn't really care but if you lose it I'll be crashing into you. If you are doing a overtaking manuver that's ok. But signal your intentions. I'm pretty mellow when driving (I gues 20 years of driving company cars mellows you out)

Old 09-07-2017, 06:13 PM

7,081 posts, read 8,943,199 times
The problem is with people who change lanes in front of you way too close, that and the left lane hogs.

20,550 posts, read 17,701,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
That right there means that you shouldn't be behind the wheel of any vehicle, no matter how "very fast" a driver you claim to be. You've just outed yourself as a tailgater and a very bad driver. (Hint: you're not sending the message you think you are with your driving - you're sending just the opposite message.)

His behavior was not good, but yours was (a) instigating his, no doubt and (b) highly dangerous, especially as you seem to think it is so normal are acceptable for ANY reason as to admit in public that you drive that way.

Also, the fact that numerous people honk and high-beam you means that you need to take a good, close look at what the common denominator is in all those instances - and another hint, it isn't just cutting them off.
Well, perhaps in Texas you have nice folks that would stay away from left lane on the highway. I often send the left lane hogger a message by getting 1/2 car distance and have my foot on the brake in case the person does a brake check. When someone is doing 60 and you're doing 75, I can easily reach someone's tailgate very close if that person doesn't speed up or move over. I find most of the time people move out before I reach one car length in the NJ highway except for entitled NY drivers especially those Uber (fake-taxi) drivers who loves driving below the speed limit on the highway.

If you think what I am doing is dangerous, being on the left lane doing below traffic flow speed is more dangerous. Anytime a drunk driver or a car chase you won't know what hit you and better be safe and move out of the way than be hit by racers or police car chases and almost all victims are folks that don't speed.

21,876 posts, read 25,139,139 times
I can't say it's ever happened. I've been cut off by slower vehicles or cars swerving around me because they want to speed in the right lane in in urban areas who then immediately take the next right-hand turn at 1 mph... that's annoying but I don't get bent out of shape over it.

Old 09-07-2017, 06:19 PM

35,309 posts, read 52,299,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
I'm typically a very fast driver. Whenever I'm on the left lane I clock 78mph avg. It's almost a regular routine for me to get around slow left lane hoggers by cutting in front of them if necessary then taking off.

However, I've bumped into a few grumpy drivers.

One situation the car was doing 60ish on the left lane, I was holding about 1/2 a car distance behind the car for about a minute and it wouldn't move. So I tried to pass right around the car and suddenly the guy started taking off and hit above 80mph and he was gone. Then after like 5 mins, I caught up to the guy as I was doing 80mph+ and he slowed back down to 60mph.

Another case, I got around the slow car 40mph car and then got in front of it due to traffic and took off doing 50mph+ the car high beamed me. Other times, I've had cars honked and high beamed me for simply getting around them and taking off.

I never brake check any car so there's no reason someone being passed by me should be offended. Their action of driving slower than avg speed is the offense here.
Sounds like you are some one who likes to play power trip games behind the wheel. Ultimately it wont end well.

Old 09-07-2017, 06:21 PM

9,613 posts, read 6,946,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
Well, perhaps in Texas you have nice folks that would stay away from left lane on the highway. I often send the left lane hogger a message by getting 1/2 car distance and have my foot on the brake in case the person does a brake check. When someone is doing 60 and you're doing 75, I can easily reach someone's tailgate very close if that person doesn't speed up or move over. I find most of the time people move out before I reach one car length in the NJ highway except for entitled NY drivers especially those Uber (fake-taxi) drivers who loves driving below the speed limit on the highway.

If you think what I am doing is dangerous, being on the left lane doing below traffic flow speed is more dangerous. Anytime a drunk driver or a car chase you won't know what hit you and better be safe and move out of the way than be hit by racers or police car chases and almost all victims are folks that don't speed.
That's what they call agressive driving. It's not your job to punish people on the road for not doing what you want them to. They can respond by punishing you back. You have no idea what people are capable of. They could be drunk, high, have a short temper and a gun, whatever. Don't push your luck. Just be cool.

Old 09-07-2017, 06:58 PM

6,300 posts, read 4,196,397 times
Are you bored or something?

Old 09-07-2017, 07:05 PM

22,661 posts, read 24,594,911 times
No problem with racecar-types zooming along.....unless their many-times illegal and stupid moves, puts me in danger.

Old 09-07-2017, 07:07 PM
KCZ

4,673 posts, read 3,665,713 times
Unbelievable. I can't believe someone would brag about tailgating, then insist that it's safe.

Old 09-07-2017, 07:38 PM

15,945 posts, read 12,285,067 times
Hahaha I had a BMW behind me today. I think I'll buy a beater car for $500, stick liability on it, wait for another one to tailgate at half car length, and slam on the brakes.

In all seriousness some of you act like you've never lived in large cities. Tailgater's and speed freaks... Its impossible for people in the left lane to move over when all lanes are congested, so take a bleeping chill pill and stop riding peoples bumpers and weaving from lane to lane aggressively. You're bleephole drivers and you have mental problems.

Everyone else... Sometimes the interstate is so congested its impossible to maintain several car lengths distance. If everyone tried, traffic would be at a standstill. Go at the flow of traffic, accept that people might follow close, and use a bit of common sense.

Of course the real problem are the drivers distracted with their phones, weaving all over the place, and not maintaining a consistent speed.

Also, speed Nazis or overly cautious drivers ultimately cause most traffic jams. If you're not going with the flow of traffic, you're part of the problem, whether you're going too fast or too slow. Sometimes speed limits are set low and people exceed them, especially during rush hour. If you have lots of semi trucks passing you or cars are flying by you 20mph faster, speed up or get off the interstate.

Last edited by sholomar; 09-07-2017 at 08:02 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive