Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-10-2017, 07:32 AM

3,445 posts, read 2,824,325 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mash123 View Post
I'm driving at the maximum allowed speed limit at the left lane. I will not move, and you can honk until the next year. I'm not going to accommodate your traffic violations.
That attitude is the reason several states are enacting laws requiring drivers to move right if they are obstructing traffic in the left lane. The driver who refuses to move over can/will be ticketed, regardless of the speed limit and the speed they are driving. Nobody who is not passing needs to be in the left lane. The signs on the highway that say "slower traffic keep right" do not say "traffic going slower than the speed limit keep right". Our state has signs (not enough of them in my opinion) that say "keep left unless passing".

Old 09-10-2017, 10:13 AM

5,462 posts, read 6,069,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mash123 View Post
I'm driving at the maximum allowed speed limit at the left lane. I will not move, and you can honk until the next year. I'm not going to accommodate your traffic violations.
Says the self proclaimed traffic enforcer for his/her section of highway!

Old 09-10-2017, 10:22 AM

1,151 posts, read 2,039,358 times
I live in Maine, and routinely drive through Massachusetts. Massachusetts drivers cut in close all the time, but they generally step on it and get out of the way before you have to take any evasive action. Maine drivers are just as bad about cutting it close, but generally do not speed up to get out of the way. Given a choice between the two, Massachusetts' way is much less frustrating, and causes much less wear and tear on my brake pads. It's generally more understandable in Massachusetts, too, as there's usually a long line of traffic, so they have to take a small gap or they'll never get anywhere.

It really drives me bonkers here in Maine, where someone pulls out in front of me, makes me slam on my brakes, goes 20 miles UNDER the speed limit, especially when, unlike Massachusetts, nine times out of ten, there's not a single car behind me!They don't speed up until you get to a place you can pass them, then they're going 20 miles OVER the limit, until the next double line, then it's back to 20 under.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado^ View Post
Nope, people who block the passing lane are the problem.

"Keep left unless passing" signs are there because of selfish idiots who start road rage.
Hogwash! I follow religious lane discipline wherever I am (furthest lane to the right is the only travel lane, all other lanes are to be used only for overtaking or preparing for left turns/exits, and only for as long as necessary, returning to the right lane when safely clear whether there's anyone behind me or not). It doesn't matter, people still tailgate. Even on three lane stretches of highway where there are two nearly empty lanes to the left of me, I still have clowns drafting my rear end so close that I can't even see their headlights in the rear-view mirror at 70 miles per hour.

People who can't follow lane discipline are a nuisance, but they aren't nearly as menacing as a driver so close behind that he's going to be in your trunk if you have to stop suddenly. I don't care if you're a professional NASCAR driver, half a car length at 70 miles per hour, and you're in my trunk if a moose jumps out in front of me. There is no human being on this earth capable of reacting that quickly. You're giving yourself all of 8 feet of reaction space, when your car is going to go over 100 feet before your reaction even happens (70 miles per hour = 102.67 feet in one second), all to prove a point about lane etiquette. And don't tell me you're going to see that moose before I do, because if you're that close to my rear end, you likely can't even see around me!

Also, keep in mind folks: driving schools teach people to deal with tailgaters by slowing down to encourage them to overtake. So when you're tailgating someone, left lane or not, don't be surprised if their first reaction is to slow down, because it's the first thing many people are taught to do.

Old 09-10-2017, 10:24 AM

19,061 posts, read 12,736,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
Do you have problem if a faster car cuts you off??
Absolutely not, go ahead and pass it's not a race. I don't care as long as they do it safely.

The worst is the idiots parked in the left lane going 65 telling themselves they are at the limit and nobody has any business passing them because they would be going over 65. Troopers need to start arresting every single one of those a-holes

Old 09-10-2017, 10:43 AM

564 posts, read 449,645 times
You tailgate me at 60 and I'll spoil your whole day.

Grow up.

Old 09-10-2017, 10:51 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,434,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenlove View Post
That attitude is the reason several states are enacting laws requiring drivers to move right if they are obstructing traffic in the left lane. The driver who refuses to move over can/will be ticketed, regardless of the speed limit and the speed they are driving. Nobody who is not passing needs to be in the left lane. The signs on the highway that say "slower traffic keep right" do not say "traffic going slower than the speed limit keep right". Our state has signs (not enough of them in my opinion) that say "keep left unless passing".
I don't drive this way in the left lane (or in the left lane at all except to pass or exit left), but I do have to ask you, does your state's statute, having passed that law, also remove the speed limit law? If not, then BOTH laws apply, which is to say, "slower traffic" is legally defined as "traffic driving SLOWER THAN the speed limit that is the fastest that ANY vehicle should be traveling in ANY lane" and any traffic driving slower than the speed limit should keep right. If you do not equally support obeying the speed limit law but only support everyone else obeying the slower traffic keep right law so that you can violate the speed limit law, then you are at the very best a flaming hypocrite.

Old 09-10-2017, 10:57 AM

4,045 posts, read 4,436,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cekkk View Post

Grow up.
^^^This.

Old 09-10-2017, 11:05 AM

17,636 posts, read 17,723,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
I don't drive this way in the left lane (or in the left lane at all except to pass or exit left), but I do have to ask you, does your state's statute, having passed that law, also remove the speed limit law? If not, then BOTH laws apply, which is to say, "slower traffic" is legally defined as "traffic driving SLOWER THAN the speed limit that is the fastest that ANY vehicle should be traveling in ANY lane" and any traffic driving slower than the speed limit should keep right. If you do not equally support obeying the speed limit law but only support everyone else obeying the slower traffic keep right law so that you can violate the speed limit law, then you are at the very best a flaming hypocrite.
The way the laws are written mean if you are not passing a slower vehicle then you must stay in the right lane. Exceptions made in the case of heavy traffic congestion.

Old 09-10-2017, 12:08 PM

2,528 posts, read 1,659,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenlove View Post
It's really really simple. We are on a 70 mph freeway. I'm driving 70 on the left lane because on the other lanes the traffic is 60-65. Unless you are an emergency vehicle with your emergency lights turn on, you have no lawful possibility to pass me. So why do I need to go to the right, perform maneuvers etc? Obey the law, it's how decent people behave

Old 09-10-2017, 12:09 PM

5,462 posts, read 6,069,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cekkk View Post

Grow up.
And you see only adult vibes coming from your statement?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive