Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-12-2017, 08:19 AM

34,231 posts, read 18,575,619 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinm View Post
If half the state is without power, what good are the supercharge stations if they are dead??

Good point. even if the power is out, you can pump gasoline, and diesel manually. It is still the most efficient way to power vehicles, and there is no meaningful reason to go to electric cars at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2017, 08:21 AM

2,983 posts, read 3,091,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinm View Post
If half the state is without power, what good are the supercharge stations if they are dead??

During or after a bad hurricane, you might be without power. No need to leave at this point though. So even though you are without power, you don't have to evacuate anymore. However, power is usually available up to and slightly after the hurricane arrival so evacuation is easy enough. You're given warning enough to get out easily which is what this thread was about.

In the evacuation even Leaf owners were getting out. Charging times were long, but not as long as the lines at the gas stations (the ones that still had gas, that is), according to the people who were down there getting out.

Old 09-12-2017, 08:51 AM

16,825 posts, read 17,730,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
Good point. even if the power is out, you can pump gasoline, and diesel manually. It is still the most efficient way to power vehicles, and there is no meaningful reason to go to electric cars at all.
LOL. Wow so now we are REALLY moving the goal posts. First was "did anyone evacuate?" and when that was a simple yes, now it is are the perfect post hurricane vehicle. Btw, the vast majority of gas pumps work on electricity. Some gas pumps can be powered using a generator/transfer switch (needs clean sine waves) but otoh, so can an EV.

Old 09-12-2017, 09:08 AM

28,115 posts, read 63,666,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
I don't care what your truck does. It has nothing to do with what I said or replied to. People gave up leaving because they could not get gas.
Let me try again...

I can refill my tank in minutes... can't do that with batteries.

I can transfer fuel from many sources... other vehicles, my storage, etc. and it can be done in minutes.

Maybe this will help illustrate the point?

If my Electric car runs out of power on the Freeway... it will require a tow truck to pick it up for transport to the nearest Charging Station where it will need to stay for some time.

I my gasoline car runs out of gas on the Freeway... I can walk to the nearest gas station and CARRY back enough fuel easily to take me 75 miles...

It really is not a hard concept...

People gave up leaving because for whatever reason they failed to plan or have a viable contingency plan...

Old 09-12-2017, 09:14 AM

4,833 posts, read 5,734,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
Let me try again...

I can transfer fuel from many sources... other vehicles, my storage, etc. and it can be done in minutes.

If my Electric car runs out of power on the Freeway... it will require a tow truck to pick it up for transport to the nearest Charging Station where it will need to stay for some time.

I my gasoline car runs out of gas on the Freeway... I can walk to the nearest gas station and CARRY back enough fuel easily to take me 75 miles...

People gave up leaving because for whatever reason they failed to plan or have a viable contingency plan...
On top of that transportation additional fuel in a gas container is a lot easier done than transporting additional batteries (I'm pretty sure EV car owners don't have extra batteries laying around) or electrical energy.

Just like water and food, people stock up on fuel in preparation. Hard to stock up on EV batteries.

Old 09-12-2017, 09:15 AM

28,115 posts, read 63,666,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IShootNikon View Post
On top of that transportation additional fuel in a gas container is a lot easier done than transporting additional batteries (I'm pretty sure EV car owners don't have extra batteries laying around) or electrical energy.
I'd like to see someone walking back to their Tesla carrying enough batteries to take the car 75 miles...

Old 09-12-2017, 09:53 AM

6,009 posts, read 6,665,602 times
Quote:
I'd like to see someone walking back to their Tesla carrying enough batteries to take the car 75 miles...

I believe the Tesla battery is installed in the undercarriage and requires extensive work to even replace one. Better hope one doesn't short out in water.

BTW.... one should also hope that it hasn't started losing some of its capacity because it would suck to think you had 300 miles and could only go 250.

Old 09-12-2017, 11:25 AM

2,983 posts, read 3,091,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nlambert View Post
BTW.... one should also hope that it hasn't started losing some of its capacity because it would suck to think you had 300 miles and could only go 250.

One should also hope your used car cooling system is up to snuff because it would suck to be in long lines of evacuees and overheat and be stuck on the side of the road. Or are you saying that gas powered cars never break down on the side of the road?

See, we can "what if" any scenario to make various vehicles look bad. Why stop at just EV scenarios? The point is, yet again, EV owners got out without problems.

I like gas cars AND EVs, and have had both. Some of you obviously have a chip on your shoulders put there by Big Oil.

Old 09-12-2017, 11:37 AM

16,825 posts, read 17,730,892 times
Quote:
Let me try again...

Apparently it is a hard concept....

It was taking people evacuating hours to get gas and many couldn't get gas at all. Gas lines during evacuations or emergencies are common. There were long lines and empty gas stations by mid week last week. Multiple links to multiple stories about this issue have been posted in this thread.

I get that it is fun to make up scenarios that don't exist to try to prove a point you cannot otherwise prove but it is silly to keep saying you "can fill my tank in minutes" when that was demonstrably NOT the case for the majority of people trying to evacuate.

Old 09-12-2017, 11:44 AM

4,833 posts, read 5,734,325 times
If there were gas lines during evacuations just think of how long the charging lines would be if all ICE vehicles were replaced with EV and all gas stations replaced with charging stations. It would be 100x the chaos.

Fact is you can never just "charge up in minutes". At least if you're waiting in line at a gas station the line will move. Good luck with that waiting for a freed up charging station.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive