Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2017, 02:50 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,720,029 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rugrats2001 View Post
For someone who only has a 'friend' with one, you are oddly knowledgeable about every little thing on these cars. Elon, is that you?
I am on the list for the 3. I also road tripped in an X this summer, and got to drive it quite a bit over our 2k miles. It was fun to drive and I got more than passing familiar with it. But what difference does that make?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2017, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
How do you store electricity?

My work truck has a standard 36 gallon gasoline tank and it is part of my disaster plan either for car or generator fuel.

At 35 mpg the car 15 gallon fuel tank is good for 500 miles... I have tested it... so an extra 5 gallons would max add 180 miles... and 36 gallons would be over 1200 miles.

I realize that for some running around near empty is business as usual...
In a battery. How is this a question?

Old 09-10-2017, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post
My gas tank goes 487 miles before it needs refilling. I can refill it in about 5 minutes. So let's see....a difference of about 200 miles, 25 minutes, and $46 for the gas.
Except the lines to get gas were hours long as they are in most emergencies.

Old 09-10-2017, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy100 View Post
Your friend is overhyping the car. It's standard procedure for all Tesla owners. The S and the X are the same drivetrain only the X has slightly less range due to its extra bloat.

Now let's assume everybody else is evacuating via Tesla. Everybody in South Florida would all need to charge at the same time at the same supercharger stations. You'll have an hour per car wait time, multiplied by all the Tesla's in Miami.

The guy in the video is taking advantage of the fact everybody else isn't stupid enough to evacuate via electric car.
Holy strawman!

The OP asked is anybody evacuated in a Tesla. The links I posted showed that is a simple yes. Why are we assuming everyone is suddenly owning a Tesla to evacuate in? They are a tiny niche market and clearly have more than enough chargers and superchargers to support their market. And why would everyone need to charge at the same time? Is everyone evacuating at the exact same time? Are we pretending no one had charged their cars at home? What is with all the fake scenarios?

Given that we know that some people said they couldn't evacuate at all due to lack of availability of gas it is odd that you think the electric car is somehow a dumber choice than a gas one.

Old 09-10-2017, 03:08 PM

9,613 posts, read 6,939,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
Holy strawman!

The OP asked is anybody evacuated in a Tesla. The links I posted showed that is a simple yes. Why are we assuming everyone is suddenly owning a Tesla to evacuate in? They are a tiny niche market and clearly have more than enough chargers and superchargers to support their market. And why would everyone need to charge at the same time? Is everyone evacuating at the exact same time? Are we pretending no one had charged their cars at home? What is with all the fake scenarios?

Given that we know that some people said they couldn't evacuate at all due to lack of availability of gas it is odd that you think the electric car is somehow a dumber choice than a gas one.
Then why isn't everybody evacuating in the Tesla's?
Point is this becomes more and more impractical as more people adopt EVs. EVs are for commuting to work. Nothing beats an ICE for unplanned long distance trips. I've been in massive Florida hurricane evacuations and I can assure you, you don't always have full control over your route.

Old 09-10-2017, 03:20 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,571,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
The reality is when you know a hurricane is coming one of the first things you do is fill up your gas tank and any gas cans you have available. Procrastinators wait until the last minute when it's too late.
Yep, anytime I see that a storm is entering the gulf I go ahead and fill up with gas and diesel. You don't wait until there is a hurricane warning and then say "oh, I need gas".

Old 09-10-2017, 03:30 PM

34,229 posts, read 18,561,496 times
Elon Musk would be evacuating in a Range Rover with a couple of Gerry cans of gas on the back. Laughing all the way to his next government subsidy.

Old 09-10-2017, 03:32 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,610,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
Except the lines to get gas were hours long as they are in most emergencies.
People like me evacuate before the officials order them......long before the whole state is trying to get out.

Old 09-10-2017, 04:54 PM

9,576 posts, read 7,323,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
Elon Musk would be evacuating in a Range Rover with a couple of Gerry cans of gas on the back. Laughing all the way to his next government subsidy.
Ain't that the truth, good-ole, do as I say, not as I do!

Old 09-10-2017, 04:59 PM

7,800 posts, read 4,397,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
No, Elon Musk would either be staying put and laughing at all those people on gas lines or he would be leaving in his Tesla laughing at all those people in gas lines.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive