Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2017, 07:22 PM

924 posts, read 1,022,218 times

Advertisements

Hey all, i hope this is the right place to put my question (i guess its a vehicle in a way ha ha) Anyhow,
I have a small trailer (4.5 x 9ft) when I load up my ATV, this thing starts swaying mildly left and right when I start hitting 60 MPH +

I was thinking of buying one of those trailer stabilizers; would it work for a small trailers? Also would getting bigger tires help?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2017, 08:00 PM

5,717 posts, read 18,935,079 times
The tongue of the trailer must be level for it to tow correctly. If you have a pickup, most of the little trailers use too small of tires to match the height of the truck or hitch. You'll need a drop hitch to level the tongue. If the tongue is level, then the issue is most likely that you are not putting enough weight on the tongue/hitch. It should be right at 10% of the towed weight and should be the tongue weight. If the tongue is level, I'd suggest moving the ATV more forward to shift the weight forward. Also, make sure the tires are aired up to the pressure indicated on the side of the tire.

Example of tongue weight. If the trailer weighs 500lbs and the ATV weighs 500lbs
500lbs + 500lbs = 1000lbs @ 10% = 100lbs tongue weight.
If you can easily pick up the tongue of the trailer by hand, it's way too light on tongue weight.

Drop Hitch

Old 09-12-2017, 08:04 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,523,229 times
This makes me think of the old joke - Doctor, it only hurts when I laugh. Then don't laugh. LOL.

So, don't drive over 60mph?

That said, I hauled a U-Haul trailer - 4x 8 with my little 93 Nissan 4 cyl 2WD pickup, and had no problems. I bought a good trailer hitch. I mostly drove around 60mph, but had no problems when I drove faster than that. So, maybe it's your hitch?

Old 09-12-2017, 08:28 PM

7,448 posts, read 7,593,446 times
Weight distribution hitches are not designed for small trailers like yours. Make sure your tires are balanced and at the correct psi. Also make sure you have enough tongue weight. 10 to 15 percent is optimal.

Old 09-12-2017, 09:38 PM

15,421 posts, read 9,092,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by willc86 View Post
Hey all, i hope this is the right place to put my question (i guess its a vehicle in a way ha ha) Anyhow,
I have a small trailer (4.5 x 9ft) when I load up my ATV, this thing starts swaying mildly left and right when I start hitting 60 MPH +

I was thinking of buying one of those trailer stabilizers; would it work for a small trailers? Also would getting bigger tires help?
That's pretty normal. That's why you should keep your speed to 55 mph when towing a trailer. It's the law in many states.

Old 09-12-2017, 10:20 PM

11,556 posts, read 53,199,057 times
the small tires on many of this size trailer are not rated for speeds faster than 55-60 mph, so the tires are deforming while going down the road.

as well, the construction of the trailers may not be sturdy enough to eliminate flexing of the frame allowing the trailer to sway.

I've seen a lot of trailers where the tires are not pointing in the same direction; one toe'd in, one toe'd out, or both toe'd out. The alignment of the axle to the frame and the stub axles alignment is a critical factor to true straight-line tracking.

proper tongue weight is a big factor, too, but will not correct for inadequate tires/frame/alignment of the trailer. Swaying may be an inherent characteristic on many small trailers at highway speeds.

in addition to checking for correct tire pressure (and especially, not over-inflated), you may want to check on the sidewall for the tire speed rating code. Loose wheel bearings (or worn out/damaged) will also be a contributing factor to a swaying small trailer.

Last edited by sunsprit; 09-12-2017 at 10:29 PM..

Old 09-13-2017, 04:30 AM

33,387 posts, read 34,858,743 times
as has been noted, tongue weight is important. too much and the car has handling issues, too little and the trailer has handling issues.

i have built trailers and tow tested them up to 80 mph with no issues. but there again i got the tongue weight right, i got the trailer level when hooked up to the car at ride height. i also got my tire pressures right.

in your case OP i would suggest moving the load on the trailer forward a few inches to get more load on the tongue.

Old 09-13-2017, 06:40 AM

9,694 posts, read 7,398,193 times
too much weight on the tail

Old 09-13-2017, 08:40 AM

19,719 posts, read 16,854,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brownbagg View Post
too much weight on the tail

Yep, that is it in a nutshell. Move the load further forward so there is more weight on the front than on the back, and it will go away.

I hauled a Mustang body to the scrap yard one time on my little utility trailer, and I had too much weight on the backside. It was white knuckle time the whole trip because it would suddenly start violently swaying from side to side with no warning. Only slowing down to a crawl got rid of it. I never prayed so much in my life.

You simply have too much weight on the back end of the trailer and not enough on the front.

Old 09-13-2017, 08:51 AM

4,663 posts, read 4,552,412 times
If you search for "trailer weight distribution" on YouTube, there are some great demos that show what happens.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive