Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2017, 07:10 AM

8,793 posts, read 8,157,503 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by YourWakeUpCall View Post
Motorcycle vs Telsa is about as fair as pitting the one-trick-pony novelty Telsa against a bunch of real cars. I'd feel the same way if the Dodge Demon had been included in this test. The Tesla was clearly engineered to be able to pull off 1 quick run down the track to appease magazine racers. Here's a challenge. Let me use each of these cars to commute to work for 1 week. No refueling allowed. On Friday evening, we'll hit the dragstrip and see how the Tesla fares on a 5% charge. That's the real world. Next time, why not just include a Top Fuel car? Its even less useful than the Tesla in the real world, but actual usability doesn't appear to mean anything to some posters in this thread.
That's the real world? Do people actually drag race when they know they are near empty on fuel? I'm not sure I follow your complaint.

Quote:
I rest my case. The Tesla is a one trick pony and shouldn't have been included in this comparison.

https://blog.caranddriver.com/killed...er-files-suit/

How does insertion (and then removal) of drive train protection software make it a 1 trick pony? Is you issue that the car need to cool and time to recover? Isn't this the same for may cars? (I see them icing down the manifolds between races to get optimum performance).

Also, Tesla has announced their new Roadster, It is expected to get 625_ miles out of a tank of electricity and hit 60 in 1.9 seconds. That's pretty impressive in my book.

Here is a vid of a Tesla racing "all day". I don't know what happened between races, but I am guessing there is no charging station at the drag strip. Even if there is, I doubt the Tesla is sitting on the charger for hours.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I00Q04I0zNk

Last edited by blktoptrvl; 11-17-2017 at 07:39 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2017, 10:24 AM

9,501 posts, read 4,332,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blktoptrvl View Post
That's the real world? Do people actually drag race when they know they are near empty on fuel? I'm not sure I follow your complaint.

People intentionally drag race when the tank is empty. Less weight = better times. I'm not a fan of these types of hacks, but I take my car to the track to get an idea of its performance in its everyday configuration. Pulling a quick time in a configuration that doesn't translate to the real world tells me nothing. Hence, my complaint about the Tesla. I want to know that full power is available whenever I need it - not under a constrained set of circumstances.

How does insertion (and then removal) of drive train protection software make it a 1 trick pony? Is you issue that the car need to cool and time to recover? Isn't this the same for may cars? (I see them icing down the manifolds between races to get optimum performance).

Also, Tesla has announced their new Roadster, It is expected to get 625_ miles out of a tank of electricity and hit 60 in 1.9 seconds. That's pretty impressive in my book.

Here is a vid of a Tesla racing "all day". I don't know what happened between races, but I am guessing there is no charging station at the drag strip. Even if there is, I doubt the Tesla is sitting on the charger for hours.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I00Q04I0zNk
The insertion of power train protection makes the Tesla a 1 trick pony because full power isn't available all of the time. I have no use for a car whose power level varies so dramatically.

A 625 mile range and 0-60 in 1.9 seconds is impressive - if the Tesla could do it more than a couple of times before depleting the battery.

And yes, Tesla owners have been known to bring charging stations to the track.

The fact that Tesla has been the subject of lawsuits over the car's inability to maintain consistent performance is precisely why it's a 1 trick pony. I admire that Tesla is pushing this technology forward, but they're just not ready for the real world. Right now, their cars are just very elaborate magic tricks. Read the article I posted a link to. There are some seriously PO'd Tesla owners out there.

Old 11-17-2017, 07:51 PM

17,717 posts, read 13,524,115 times
Cool video other then it seems that the 911Turbo hit it's brakes at 5:25.

Old 11-18-2017, 12:17 AM

24,508 posts, read 33,295,278 times
Quote:
Nope. Off the showroom floor, the vast majority of old muscle cars couldn't break mid-13s in the 1/4 and they had equally dismal trap speeds, so it's more than a traction issue. Only purpose built drag cars went any quicker. Today's cars are much, much quicker in a straight line. There's tons of data out there that proves it.

Here's one of many, many sources:

DRAG TESTS 1960 - 1972

12.2 isn't a big deal these days.
Actually, quite a few old muscle cars could run in the 13s. A partial list:

1968-'71 Dodge Charger R/T with Hemi
1968-'70 Dodge Coronet with Hemi and 440-6 pack
1970-'71 Plymouth 'Cuda with Hemi and 440-6 pack
1970-'71 Dodge Challenger with Hemi and 440-6 pack
1968-'71 Plymouth Road Runner with Hemi and 440-6 pack

1968-71 Ford Mustang with 428 or 429
1970-'72 Ford Mustang with Boss 351 engine and 3.91 or 4.30 gears
1970-'71 Ford Torino with 429 engine and 4.30 gears
1969-'71 Mercury Cougar with 429

1970-'71 Chevrolet Chevelle SS 454
1969 Chevrolet Camaro with 396/375 hp engine and 4.56 or 4.88 gears
1970 Buick GS 455 Stage 1
1970-'71 Oldsmobile 455 W-30
1969 Pontiac GTO Judge

Also, the '62 409 Chevy, '64 Ford Thunderbolt and '62 Max Wedge 426 Dodge and Plymouth could run 12s.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive