Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2017, 08:24 AM

30,703 posts, read 79,429,689 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
Complaints about Porsches DCT? LOL. Only by people who don't own one. (if any)

It's a very very good transmission.

Certainly nothing like a the whine-a-matics being discussing this topic.
Yes, people who own them complaint about them. I have a friend who recently traded up and now he wants his old Porsche back - he hates the automatic. He does not care if it is faster. To him driving is about more than just how fast you can go, otherwise he would get an airplane (or maybe another airplane in his case, he has one already). Or a Tesla.

Good is subjective. There are always people who hate and complain about most things.

Driving purists hate them. They hate anything that is not manual.

Others hate them just because they are different. They feel different.

As Lingeman said in his 911 GT3 review, “… even with my penchant for lap times, I’d still pick the zero-dollar 6MT option. It. Just. Feels. Right.”

What is a Porsche PDK transmission and how does PDK work?

Read more: What is a Porsche PDK transmission and how does PDK work?

Just because something generates good statistics on paper does not mean everyone will love it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2017, 06:24 AM

5,915 posts, read 6,410,476 times
Well, I figured I'd update this thread. My father-in-law owns a 2012 Nissan Altima that just had the CVT to go out on him. Cost of repair: $4k! Only a 12 month warranty on the repair. The car didn't even have 80k miles on it. My father-in-law is a grandpa and drives like one, so I know he was never hard on the vehicle. I'm trying to get him away from Nissan, but he's looking to trade it in for a Sentra. This is the second issue with the CVT that I am familiar with. I've had a friend who owned a Nissan Murano that had his CVT to go out on him. This was a couple years back.

Whatever happened to just a plain Jane automatic transmission?

Old 11-21-2017, 06:32 AM

6,977 posts, read 5,322,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsguy37 View Post
Well, I figured I'd update this thread. My father-in-law owns a 2012 Nissan Altima that just had the CVT to go out on him. Cost of repair: $4k! Only a 12 month warranty on the repair. The car didn't even have 80k miles on it. My father-in-law is a grandpa and drives like one, so I know he was never hard on the vehicle. I'm trying to get him away from Nissan, but he's looking to trade it in for a Sentra. This is the second issue with the CVT that I am familiar with. I've had a friend who owned a Nissan Murano that had his CVT to go out on him. This was a couple years back.

I have a 2015 Sentra and love the way it drives, plenty of get up and go and great mpg, never had a problem with the cvt.

Old 11-21-2017, 06:43 AM

13,259 posts, read 22,692,629 times
Quote:

CAFE reasons- the manufacturers have figured out how to finesse a CVT to hit quite good fuel economy numbers and that lets them not have to push more expensive hybrids so heavily

Old 11-21-2017, 08:02 AM

20,867 posts, read 23,422,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post
Odd... I have a 2014 Altima and I haven't particularly taken the best of care of it. 101k miles and no issues whatsoever.

Also, your CVT has a 10-year /120,000 mile warranty. They HAD to replace it for free.
Actually only the 2003-2010 have the 10 year warranty. After 2010 they only have a 5 year warranty.

Old 11-21-2017, 11:25 AM

5,915 posts, read 6,410,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easy62 View Post
I have a 2015 Sentra and love the way it drives, plenty of get up and go and great mpg, never had a problem with the cvt.

I would hope with your car being just a couple years old that the CVT is still holding up. I would think the litmus test will be if it's still holding up well by 2020. I'm sure if my in-laws buy/lease a 2018 Nissan Sentra, they should be a good car for them for the next few years. A little bit smaller than what they're used to, however, but Sentras are much nicer than when I owned mine ('99 Sentra.)

Old 11-21-2017, 12:02 PM

6,031 posts, read 6,092,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
Yes, people who own them complaint about them. I have a friend who recently traded up and now he wants his old Porsche back - he hates the automatic. He does not care if it is faster. To him driving is about more than just how fast you can go, otherwise he would get an airplane (or maybe another airplane in his case, he has one already). Or a Tesla.

Good is subjective. There are always people who hate and complain about most things.

Driving purists hate them. They hate anything that is not manual.

Others hate them just because they are different. They feel different.

As Lingeman said in his 911 GT3 review, “… even with my penchant for lap times, I’d still pick the zero-dollar 6MT option. It. Just. Feels. Right.”

What is a Porsche PDK transmission and how does PDK work?

Read more: What is a Porsche PDK transmission and how does PDK work?

Just because something generates good statistics on paper does not mean everyone will love it.
By "DCT" are we all referring to Porsche Doppelkupplung, aka the PDK introduced (I think) in the 991.1?

What people "complain" about is PDK is not the same experience as a manual clutch. I drove manual clutches for 30 years, up to and including my 996 Turbo (that was a *hoot*) and now have a PDK in my 991.1 GTS. Manuals are fun, and old school, enhancing the driving experience. From a performance perspective, there is nothing to complain about since clearly PDK is more efficient. And they surely do feel different, but not like some piece of slag CVT or even the older version of Porsche's automatic last seen in the 997s. All that is miserable junk, IMO.

Not sure there is a bad DCT in any of the high-performance brands these days. I'm assuming that all will trickle down to pretty much every brand, eventually.

Yep, not everyone loves PDK, to your last sentence. I went with it to try something new. I miss my manual transmission sometimes, but have one in my X Runner (Toyota), the other garage queen. Been driving those so long I don't even think on it much anymore.

Old 11-21-2017, 12:37 PM

Quote:
I would hope with your car being just a couple years old that the CVT is still holding up. I would think the litmus test will be if it's still holding up well by 2020. I'm sure if my in-laws buy/lease a 2018 Nissan Sentra, they should be a good car for them for the next few years. A little bit smaller than what they're used to, however, but Sentras are much nicer than when I owned mine ('99 Sentra.)
I lease my car's after 3 years its gone and onto another be it Nissan or who ever has the best deal.

Old 11-21-2017, 12:47 PM

Quote:
I leased it.

Old 11-21-2017, 07:05 PM

3,251 posts, read 2,532,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpio516 View Post
You can pick any "class" you want, but legally a Type R, Focus RS and Focus ST are the same class as a base Civic - Compact Cars.

The base Civic with the CVT isn't the fastest Civic, even if you exclude the Type R. The Si with the manual is faster. If your "class" is Japanese 4 door compact sedans with 4 cylinder engine under 2.0L, the Civic Si with a manual is faster.

You also conveniently ignored the fact that the Focus ST gets to 60 1 second faster and runs the quarter 0.6s faster. If you ever sit in a ST, it is almost exactly the same car as every other Focus hatchback.
It's not the same class. The ST, RS and Type R have more in common with the 2.3 EB Mustang.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive