Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2017, 05:59 AM

2,957 posts, read 5,900,362 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAZORAC View Post
Walmart offers a headlight cleaning service for 29.88 which isn't bad....if it works. Has anybody ever had their headlights cleaned @ walmart auto?
No, but I had a mobile detailing guy come over and restore my headlights for $40. He did a good job, but they get "foggy" again after 3-4 months.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2017, 05:55 PM

30,395 posts, read 21,215,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by f5fstop View Post
One good stone from a vehicle in front will show you why they went away from glass. Replaced many headlights when they were glass due to stones/rocks. At least when they shifted to bulbs vs. sealed beams, the light still worked when the cover was broken.
I never had that prob for years driving cars with real glass headlights dwight.

Old 09-27-2017, 06:38 PM

10,345 posts, read 8,557,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crashj007 View Post
If you go onto you tube you will see many tutorials on fixing this altogether too common problem. My favorite is Farm Girl, aka Banshee Moon.
did you actually learn how to do the fix? Maybe repeated watchings and it will sink in

Old 09-27-2017, 06:46 PM

10,345 posts, read 8,557,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retired in Illinois View Post
If your headlights get badly yellowed the safest thing to do is spring for new headlight assemblies. Don't cost more than $60 odd bucks at NAPA while being a snap to install.

Headlights are not a place to cheap it.
what kind of car are you talking about. Headlight assemblies that I see can go up into the high $100s. A used Lexus headlight on EBAY is going for $500 to $700.

Old 09-27-2017, 07:20 PM

8,272 posts, read 10,979,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retired in Illinois View Post
If your headlights get badly yellowed the safest thing to do is spring for new headlight assemblies. Don't cost more than $60 odd bucks at NAPA while being a snap to install.

:
NOT all cars.

Got one set first - Made in China. Looked exactly the same as originals. But the connector was completely different. Refund

Got another sent this time Made in Taiwan. Connected right but the rubber required around light too flimsy and had to use duct tape. Junk.

On my other older car I went to a professional shop and paid $80.00 and both lens are like new.
Best to have a professional shop do it on original factory headlight lens.

Old 09-28-2017, 09:05 AM

1,166 posts, read 875,960 times
If you care about your vehicle even the tiniest bit, DO NOT GET YOUR VEHICLE SERVICED AT WALMART!!! If all you care about when servicing your vehicle is cost, you're cutting your own throat. Pay peanuts, get monkeys!!! There's a reason who those guys work at Walmart, it's because they're either hacks or wanna be techs that couldn't cut it in a real shop.

Old 09-28-2017, 09:07 AM

1,166 posts, read 875,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LKJ1988 View Post
I never had that prob for years driving cars with real glass headlights dwight.
Same, have never seen this problem on older cars with REAL glass headlights. But nowadays they make as much as they can out of plastic, including headlight lenses, so it's not surprising that foggy headlights is becoming a common problem on vehicles.

Old 09-28-2017, 09:09 AM

25,840 posts, read 16,515,156 times
I did the 3M kit for our '04 VW Passat. They turned out really good. But it was about $30 and my labor.

Old 01-10-2021, 01:52 PM

843 posts, read 562,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy12345678 View Post
Same, have never seen this problem on older cars with REAL glass headlights. But nowadays they make as much as they can out of plastic, including headlight lenses, so it's not surprising that foggy headlights is becoming a common problem on vehicles.
OK, get off your lawn. I'm old enough to remember replacing the old round and rectangle glass "sealed beam" headlamps, but that was over 30 or 40 years ago. The car companies went to plastic not to save cost, but for appearance. Todays headlamps cost WAY more than those days when you could get a generic bulb off the shelf. Appearance and performance is a quantum leap improvement. Ever notice how much brighter new car headlights are, or how intricate the designs are with integrated turn signals, daytime running lights, LED's, complex shapes of the lit elements, etc?

With that comes the problems associated with UV degradation from the sun. The sun is a worthy adversary. Very difficult to prevent sun damage. If you can avoid parking the vehicle facing the sun they will not cloud. But sealed beams are a relic of the past and any company that ever tried to keep using them would be a laughing stock.

PS: I also used the Turtle Wax kit to restore the headlights on our car and it worked well, not back to like new but back to like 90%. You really need to follow directions, use masking tape, you just buff it with the cream & use some elbow grease, wipe that off, repeat if needed, and move fast when applying the final glaze step. If you screw up the glaze by moving too slow you can buff it back off, I had to do this. Hard to mess it up.

Last edited by KO Stradivarius; 01-10-2021 at 02:55 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive