Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2017, 12:36 PM

4,236 posts, read 8,140,233 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Baustian View Post
Can I link to a photo of the odometer on my VW Golf with 600,000 miles? Or should I wait until next spring when it rolls past 700,000?
Miles rolled don't equal miles enjoyed. One could put a million miles on anything, provided they want to keep dumping money into it or live with broken stuff.

The late model Jetta and New Beetle I owned a decade ago were money pits to try and keep in nice condition
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2017, 02:36 PM

1,275 posts, read 1,248,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fargobound View Post
Miles rolled don't equal miles enjoyed. One could put a million miles on anything, provided they want to keep dumping money into it or live with broken stuff.
Everything works -- power windows, rear wiper, sound system, and other stuff that typically conk out on older cars. Original engine and transmission. The only dent is one I put in it about 12 years ago; it was too small to worry about or fix. It has more power than when I bought it new, and better brakes, and a better suspension, and it is still fun to drive. (Gets 45+ MPG, too) So is my other car, identical in nearly all respects except only about 130k miles; I save that one for weekends and special occasions.

Most cars will last as long as you want them to. If you want it to last 100k miles, it will. If you want it to last 200k miles, it will. If you want it to last half a million miles, and you don't total it in a crash, then it will.

Old 09-30-2017, 01:29 AM

20,292 posts, read 37,174,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City Guy997S View Post
ummm have you ever been in a taxi? Usually American and 300-400K miles and still overcharges you to get to where you are going!
My 2001 Silverado with a Vortex 5.3 litters motor just reached 197,000 miles. The motor makes a little noise, probably piston slap, on cold starts. But it does not burn oil and it runs quite well. It's nice and quiet on the road, and fairly good on fuel. Everything works, even the seat heaters.

Old 09-30-2017, 06:38 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,292,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan Ashbeck View Post
Does anybody have a clue?
For some they think its at the end of its life so they sell it for a newer car, thats where i come along and buy their 100K car and then drive it another 200K usually trouble free if it Japanese and been well maintained.

Old 09-30-2017, 09:28 AM

13,258 posts, read 22,833,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fargobound View Post
If it's a VW/Audi every piece of plastic typically explodes like a milk carton that been in the sun. The check engine, ABS, traction control light has the glow of a nuclear fire.
The VW ownership experience seem to be either wonderful or utterly horrible with no ground in between. With our Passat, the check engine lights and assorted electrical gremlins started to take up permanent residence around 60K miles and it got sold off decidedly before 100K because it was such a money pit. (we did a VIN search on it later out of curiosity and it appeared to be at the scrap yard with 95K on the odometer)

The cars we do own when we hit 100K miles, we do have a talk about at that point in terms of keep or trade. For us, it's repair record, how much we like or dislike the driving experience, and general household financial status. We've liked the Outback well enough to deal with timing belt with plans to keep it indefinitely as a light use second car since it's still very useful and runs like new.

Old 09-30-2017, 10:44 AM

16,289 posts, read 32,339,531 times
I kind of laugh when someone is selling a car and it has 80,000 miles but they are freeway miles. Not sure if you live around the LA area or have been to LA any time of day. Freeway's around here are full of cars and many times it is stop and go traffic.

Another is the car being sold by the son of the Little old Lady in Pasadena. She drove the car around town. What that entails is turning the car on, driving to a store five minutes away and turning the car off. The engine has had years of turning on and barely warming up before being shut down. It may even have less than 50,000 miles on it and the car is 25 years old. Low mileage looks good but you will have a lot of stuff to replace.

The perfect conditions for a high mileage car would be that rare person that drives maybe 50 miles a trip, does not race the car, and has few stop and go trips.

Since we can not count on any of that then I would want to see receipts. How was the car maintained. Did they change the oil on regular intervals. For me if they were high mileage drivers I want to know that the oil was changed according to manufacture specifications which is seldom every 3,000 miles or 3 months. With some synthetics it can be 10,000 miles a change and one even says 25,000 miles although that for me may be pushing it. Lets say a couple oil changes a year.

With low mileage drivers I would want at least an oil change a year.

Also want to see records for other things that they have done to the car. How was it maintained.

Most people don't keep the kind of records I am looking for. I do know some that do though. My van has records on everything done to it. Our car has the same. My dad has kept records on every car he has ever owned. For me it is a log book of what has happened to the car.

Old 10-01-2017, 01:22 PM

6,486 posts, read 6,182,229 times
The engine shuts off and party balloons pop out and loft the engine into the sky.

Actually, nothing happens. The odometer rolls from 099,999 to 100,000. At least that's what my 2011 Honda Accord did on February 27.

No mechanical problems at over 109k miles. Knock on wood.

Old 10-01-2017, 01:35 PM

35,309 posts, read 52,292,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan Ashbeck View Post
Does anybody have a clue?
What do you think will happen?

Old 10-01-2017, 08:11 PM

16,569 posts, read 15,268,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bg7 View Post
Volvos go on forever.
Where are they then? Not one from the 90s. 100K is the mileage you have to get rid of the car. It is still got some life left in it to get you a few grand. Keep it longer and be prepared for those pesky check engine lights. I had to junk my perfectly good looking Explorer because no one could figure out how to fix it.

Old 10-01-2017, 08:20 PM

9,372 posts, read 6,973,951 times
Wow with my car there were balloons streamers and I even got a hummer during the ride home.

You guys need to shop around more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive