Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2017, 10:25 AM

6,033 posts, read 6,148,398 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katana49 View Post
Porsche really needs to go back with a 918 and stickier rubber to set a better time. Can't imagine those folks who paid a $million+ are happy that a car costing 1/4-1/5 as much is faster around a track.

Impressive that they beat the Lambo by 5 seconds right out of the gate though.
911s handle spooky well, an excellent example of what top engineers can accomplish on an obsolete design given forty years to refine it. I have *not* yet been on a track with mine, to be sure, but tossing it around in cones and on the street reveals quite a bit about what I call "cult of 911." I've been in the Cult six years with no intention of leaving. I like how they handle w/AWD, but the purists are pretty clearly right that the limits are way higher w/RWD only.

A 991-series GT2 RS is the craziest factory car I've heard of yet, given what it is. 700hp? Pffffw: I'd bet money it's closer to a thousand, they can do that with boosted engines on that 3.8 liter flat six. Whoever drove that record lap must have balls of steel, there is no stopping a GT2-anything once it comes on-boost. The older 996 and 997 had few electronics to stop them, if-any. Now, who knows.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2017, 11:08 AM

604 posts, read 653,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanms3030 View Post
why do so many people obsess over performance of cars they will never drive?
Playboy built an empire on same thing...

Old 09-29-2017, 12:29 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,705,684 times
Quote:
That's not entirely true, performance cars of previous decades are affordable today or sooner when superior technology such as turbos allowed for cheaper performance cars.

You don't need a V8 or V12 to have good performance on the track. The real question is where can you use the power.

Old 09-29-2017, 12:38 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,705,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondebaerde View Post
911s handle spooky well, an excellent example of what top engineers can accomplish on an obsolete design given forty years to refine it. I have *not* yet been on a track with mine, to be sure, but tossing it around in cones and on the street reveals quite a bit about what I call "cult of 911." I've been in the Cult six years with no intention of leaving. I like how they handle w/AWD, but the purists are pretty clearly right that the limits are way higher w/RWD only.

A 991-series GT2 RS is the craziest factory car I've heard of yet, given what it is. 700hp? Pffffw: I'd bet money it's closer to a thousand, they can do that with boosted engines on that 3.8 liter flat six. Whoever drove that record lap must have balls of steel, there is no stopping a GT2-anything once it comes on-boost. The older 996 and 997 had few electronics to stop them, if-any. Now, who knows.
I don't think the design is obsolete. It's that most car makers have not opted for their rear mounted engine design which gives them superior handling without the bad weight distribution.

I think the future is still intelligent AWD systems like the Nissan GTR which so many car makers are copying. Because it has the ability to claw out of any corner and put the power down without the driver adjusting. It can detect wheel speeds between each wheel and help the car rotate so fast that not even race car drivers can keep up.

Old 10-01-2017, 02:04 AM

3,076 posts, read 5,650,035 times
Big Porsche fan. To some degree they nickel and time you for upgrades, but they also offer a lot you can do. At the same Porsche is one, if not the best, care you can get that you can take on the track and drives even better on normal roads. They always seem to be ahead of the competition, and they are always chasing Porsche.

Old 10-02-2017, 08:27 AM

8,695 posts, read 11,081,311 times
Quote:
haters will say they rather have 30 Camrys and their Camrys will last 30x longer too

Old 10-02-2017, 08:56 AM

5,649 posts, read 5,966,125 times
Quote:
Because its interesting to see who can engineer the most trackreadiness (is that a word? lol) into a performance car.

The question here should be "why do you question what we obsess over?"

Old 10-02-2017, 08:58 AM

3,754 posts, read 4,240,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondebaerde View Post

Not even Porsche agrees that RWD only is the better setup. The 918 is still the faster car, and my guess is, the better handling car at the limit. The 918 set a record on the Nurburgring over 2 years ago, with what is now obsolete tire tech, and weighing 1000 lbs more. Put the new Cup rubber on there and I would bet you'd lop off 5 seconds right there easy.

RWD is a more fun car to drive, no question. But AWD has more advantages. The 911 turbo is just as fast around a track as a GT3 RS... and it does so while weighing 4-500 lbs more and not using Cup tires. But, as any auto journalist who has driven both will tell you... The GT3 RS is the epitome of a driver's car... even with a PDK transmission. The turbo is capable, but not nearly as exciting.

The GT2 RS follows a similar philosophy, it's meant to be a racing car. The 911 turbo is meant to be a "best of both worlds" proposition.

As far as rear engine being an obsolete design... it doesn't matter. Weight distribution is about 40/60 front/rear, and that's about what mid engine supercars are. A Porsche flat 6 doesn't weigh much when compared to Ferrari and Lamborghini V8's and V12's. So having it in the back doesn't result in adverse performance when the overall weight distribution is comparable to the competition.

Old 10-02-2017, 09:04 AM

3,754 posts, read 4,240,557 times
Quote:
Speak for yourself.

I may never own a GT2 RS, but I do have a 911 turbo, with most of the suspension and aero swapped out for GT2/GT3/Cup components.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive