Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2017, 01:59 PM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,553,503 times

Advertisements

Its fine as long as you get replacement tires put on every Sunday also.

Seriously - is this an OCD thing?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2017, 02:14 PM

17,208 posts, read 57,035,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YourWakeUpCall View Post
Other than being a colossal waste of money, frequent oil changes can damage the engine. After an oil change, there's a short period of time while the oil system is filling/pressurizing the system that internal parts are unprotected. It's no big deal if its only a couple of times a year, but its possible that very frequent draining of the system could eventually lead to damage.
This is less true if, like me, you fill the oil filter with oil before you install it. After an oil change, my rigs build pressure about as fast as any other cold start.

Changing oil on a 2004 vehicle every month IMHO would be borderline OCD type behavior, but that's about the owner/driver, not the car.

What I would be worried about, if these monthly oil changes were at a typical "Stupid Lube" joint, would be damage to the oil drain plug, from cross-threading. That and they were probably using the cheapest oil they could find.

Old 10-02-2017, 04:26 PM

3,782 posts, read 4,243,908 times
I would recommend a Fumoto oil change drain valve so you don't wear out the existing drain plug.

Old 10-02-2017, 04:35 PM

844 posts, read 1,440,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Whats the logic behind this course of action?,Why would you want to change your oil every month?
I don't get an oil change once a month, but I've seen a few posters here act as if oil changes was damaging to your car, and I wanted to know how.

Old 10-02-2017, 05:01 PM

6,980 posts, read 5,409,278 times
Some people are very ignorant when it comes to cars and love to throw away good money.

Old 10-03-2017, 07:46 PM

9,394 posts, read 11,143,637 times
Do you drive 5000 miles per month? Otherwise, just send me the money. I'll send you a little sticker to put in your windshield that "confirms" that the oil was changed. Everybody goes home happy!

Old 10-03-2017, 10:12 PM

15,945 posts, read 12,275,010 times
Send the oil into Blackstone labs for a small fee to put your mind at ease. When I did my change at 5k and sent the sample in they told me to wait until 6k and send another sample which I just did on Monday
https://www.blackstone-labs.com/

All the evidence you need on when to change your oil for 10 bucks or so per sample. Will also test for coolant in the oil among other things.

Old 10-05-2017, 05:59 AM

3,205 posts, read 2,620,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stockwiz View Post
Send the oil into Blackstone labs for a small fee to put your mind at ease. When I did my change at 5k and sent the sample in they told me to wait until 6k and send another sample which I just did on Monday

All the evidence you need on when to change your oil for 10 bucks or so per sample. Will also test for coolant in the oil among other things.
Sounds like they branched out from chiropractic.

Job #1 is to get you used to coming back for more.

Did they offer to do the 2nd test for free? Or for another fee? Did they tell you why they wanted to test your oil 1k after your oil change, like did they detect coolant leaking into the oil?

Old 10-05-2017, 08:17 AM

16,541 posts, read 19,668,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
The people you see being critical, and I'm one of them, of some who do frequent changes are criticizing those who are still operating under 1950s oil change recommendations. You know, back when you had to do 10000 mile tuneups and tires had tubes.
Like this guy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Im Lost View Post
Doesn't hurt anything, but not necessary..... once every 3000-5000 miles is sufficient, but check your oil level for engine oil consumption every 500 miles or so. Older cars will tend to use a little oil past the valve seals or rings and may need a quart added on occasion.
I cringe every time I see someone say 3,000 miles. Not that there's anything wrong with that, but have me made NO technological progress since, as North Beach, said, 1950?
There is zero reason to change any oil at 3,000 miles. Well, maybe if you drive your car less then 3 miles every day so it never warms up. Otherwise, 5,000 is the new 3,000.

Old 10-05-2017, 10:51 AM

3,981 posts, read 6,732,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stockwiz View Post

I did send a sample of mine from a 2002 VW to Blackstone for the standard analysis plus TBN(total base number). Before I was changing every 3.5k and one year, but according to their recommendation I can still wait until 5k to change it. Apparently it is the mileage and not the time interval that is more important.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive