Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2017, 01:09 AM

3,006 posts, read 1,491,852 times

Advertisements

I searched for wagons first every time I bought a car, but wagons are not common enough in the used car market. Now I buy small pickups, but those are also becoming harder to find cheap, driveable, and reasonably sized. If I drive enough that I need over 20 mpg, then I would probably get a sedan again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2017, 04:23 AM

24,396 posts, read 23,053,611 times
I would. I like the old bench front seats and went looking for a used Impala when our car was totaled. All they had were 2013 5 seat models so I gave up and got a much smaller car that still had 5 person seating.. a 2014 Kia Soul. Column shifters are just more ergonomic than console shifters.
If they made a bench seat sedan again I might spring for one. I miss the leg room and the convenience of having that extra space beside you and the option of accommodating a sixth passenger for short trips.

Old 10-03-2017, 06:33 AM

7,182 posts, read 9,313,073 times
Sedans weigh less than CUVs, have a smaller frontal area, and a lower aerodynamic drag.

They're less expensive than the CUV and due to the lower weight and drag, they also get better mileage.

Furthermore, as one person mentioned, they are far cheaper used.

Old 10-03-2017, 06:45 AM

2,668 posts, read 4,495,418 times
1. CUV's don't come with a stick.
2. CUV's cannot handle the same as a similar model sedan.
3. Most of the AWD systems in CUV's are a joke and could barely get you out of your driveway. They use "intelligent" systems that slip and slide their way around town instead of a dedicated 4WD with a real differential like say a Jeep.
4. Better mileage, you won't see a 2.0T Tiguan getting 36-38mpg on the highway
5. Price premium for a CUV that is a lifted version of said sedan is astonishing.

Now I'm not saying I would never look to purchase one but none of them peek my interested whatsoever right now. If I'm going there I'll go full SUV and get a Grand Cherokee or something similar. Maybe I'm biased because my wife has a 2005 Jeep Liberty. It's not fast, it lumbers around, has a high COG, and is definitely "rough" around the edge but I love it. In what today would be called the CUV market it was a true 4WD, something you need to stick with bigger model Jeeps or a Toyota 4 Runner to still get today. So again my bias shows but if I am buying something that is made to be taller and more SUV like then I am getting an SUV.

Old 10-03-2017, 06:47 AM

22,327 posts, read 29,417,031 times
I have the Lexus GS and bf has the Lexus GX. We have best of both worlds..

Old 10-03-2017, 06:52 AM

41,937 posts, read 36,948,491 times
gas mileage, price, and I hate driving when being higher up off the ground

Old 10-03-2017, 08:14 AM

4,206 posts, read 3,757,431 times
If I am going to buy a utility vehicle, I want something that call haul the family and all of our gear, tow if needed, drive out of a ditch, ford through some water, and drive over debris.

If I want something economical, I would buy a sedan. Something much different from my SUV. Something that gets good mpg, something that handles well, and that I can zip around town in and something that is offered with a manual transmission.

I don't like CUV's because to me they are lifted sedans that dont have much more capability than a sedan. They have basically stripped all of the truck like components out of them. I am very black and white when it comes to vehicles. If I want a truck, I want it to look and feel like one whereas if I want a car I want it to offer everything a car should.

If I were to not by an SUV for some reason, but wanted the cargo space, I most definitely would buy a wagon over a CUV.

On the flip side, I know that a CUV would be a great fit for some as they like driving a car but lights bother them at night so the slight increase in lift would help nighttime visibility for them. Again, for those that prefer cars, but find them hard to get in and out of may prefer the increase in height for ease on entry and exit.

Old 10-03-2017, 09:04 AM

5,681 posts, read 5,154,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BirchBarlow View Post
While the statistics show that CUV/SUV sales have surpassed sedan sales as of late, why do so many people still choose the sedan over the more functional CUV?
My reason: zero desire for a heavier vehicle with a higher center of gravity, poor handling and "utility" that will never be utilized, plus the total unavailability of a manual transmission (though those are dwindling from the sedan/hatch segments, as well). I will never drive a bloated CUV for as long as I can avoid it. Then again, I wouldn't drive midsize sedans, such as the aforementioned Accord, either.

Old 10-03-2017, 09:57 AM

24,556 posts, read 18,244,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clutchrider View Post
1. CUV's don't come with a stick.
And your car doesn't come with crank windows, no A/C, and you can't get out and start the car with a crank like an old Model T. How could you drive something as unengaging too drive as that?

Quote:
3. Most of the AWD systems in CUV's are a joke and could barely get you out of your driveway. They use "intelligent" systems that slip and slide their way around town instead of a dedicated 4WD with a real differential like say a Jeep.
I'll put my Outback on a 10 degree incline with a foot of unplowed snow next to your 2wd sedan. Wanna bet who gets to the top of the hill and who doesn't? I'd take the same bet with any compact crossover assuming I can find the stooopid button to disable the traction control.

Quote:
5. Price premium for a CUV that is a lifted version of said sedan is astonishing.
A Legacy Sedan and an Outback have very similar pricing. It's about $2K extra for the wagon and the body cladding.

Old 10-03-2017, 10:51 AM

9,373 posts, read 6,972,249 times
It doesn't have to be either or... As a family you can get 1 of each and they can complement each other.

We have an SUV for my wife to drive which is good for hauling kids and general bulk items around. When we go on road trips to all the Western national parks 3 row SUV/CUV can pack everything we need and accomodate extended family. It's AWD + snow tires works well on all type of terrain including when we go skiing or snow mobiling.

For the normal commute and regular travel I far prefer to drive my Maxima.

I do plan on getting a 3rd vehicle this next spring and get a '16 ND Miata as a vert mountain sports cruiser.

So you can get 1 of each and have the best of all worlds.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive