Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2017, 04:06 AM

15,183 posts, read 8,768,739 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Some how i cant foresee you being happy in your SVT Lightning and being totally controlled by a computers idea of how you should drive,kinda eliminates the need for a muscle vehicle as all cars will go the same speed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P1tfOeChenQ
"The idea first appeared in the 1930s".

And we are still waiting. Enough said.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2017, 04:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
They are building an autonomous car test center at willow run, so I expect they believe they will have something to test when it is done.
Building a test track, does not equal real world driving conditions. It's just a first step. A baby step at that.

Old 10-07-2017, 04:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy100 View Post
The technology is already here and you really don't need infrastructure upgrades.
Watch this Bolt navigate downtown San Francisco:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88k7P3EmRis

Note the construction, pedestrians, and one point even gets around a stalled moving truck.
San Francisco doesn't get snow. The Michigan test track will be designed to overcome that obstacle. The car in that video is not even close to ready to drive in snow in real world traffic conditions. Also notice that the video is edited. Which makes it nothing but propaganda. I want to see some real unedited video of that car driving around that circuit. So we can see how any times the driver needs to take over.

Old 10-07-2017, 06:17 AM

9,613 posts, read 6,843,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artillery77 View Post
This is totally happening and soon. Safety will increase and so will control. Imagine Clearcab co taking people wherever they want at a subsidized price. To access, simply hail with your phone and press your finger to prove it's you to get in. Oh, is there a warrant out for your arrest....we'll be having an unplanned stop. Once the cars can fly it could literally be your only way in/out. In the meantime, if you're doing the cheap plan, expect commercials and sharing your seats on your way. All vehicle maintenance and inspection could be done at large to scale shops.

Oh yeah, this is coming. The young kids don't even want to learn how to drive in anticipation of its coming.

I don't think they can ban private owned fossil fuel cars, but as the % of cars go to electric, the economies of scale will reverse for gas stations. Keep you're car but I'm not too sure where you'll be able to fill up at. That's already happening as all of the cars become more efficient. The stations that make it need car washes or big convenience areas.
You're mixing electric cars with autonomous cars. A car can be both gas powered and autonomous. The two aren't mutually exclusive.

It would be in our best interest for fossil fuels to be continued to be produced for decades to come as those financed multibillion dollar oil operations would go bankrupt all at once and collapse global banking systems, crash the stock market and destroy the global economy. Environmental regulations would be the first to go as a countries have a priority to feed their people first and worry about the environment later.

Old 10-07-2017, 06:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
San Francisco doesn't get snow. The Michigan test track will be designed to overcome that obstacle. The car in that video is not even close to ready to drive in snow in real world traffic conditions. Also notice that the video is edited. Which makes it nothing but propaganda. I want to see some real unedited video of that car driving around that circuit. So we can see how any times the driver needs to take over.
If that's your only defense then you're grasping at straws. That Bolt is doing far more already than most people on this thread think won't be able to happen in 20 years.

About half the country doesn't see snow. If it does snow, then drive it yourself.
Cruise control doesn't work well in the city, but I still have it on my car.

Old 10-07-2017, 12:50 PM

335 posts, read 352,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Wouldnt the autonomous car be driving you?
I would miss the hands on driving experience when cars go full autonomous but with people wanting every electronic convenience built into todays cars its only a matter of time before computers take over the actual driving of the car ,just hop in enter/dictate your desired coordinates and the car does the rest, in fact i wonder at that point the need for a personal vehicle just call up a pod car and get taken to your destination like an over ground elevator.
This. I worked in automotive for years. None of us will own an autonomous car, we will use a Uber/Lyft like service and it will take us to where we want to go. Lyft and Uber have already partnered with OEMs.

And, FYI, the technology is already there for level 5 autonomy, the problem is regulation and rules around it and how it interacts with self-operated cars, which have human error and non-computerized judgement.

Old 10-07-2017, 01:53 PM

1,646 posts, read 2,762,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ima30something View Post
This. I worked in automotive for years. None of us will own an autonomous car, we will use a Uber/Lyft like service and it will take us to where we want to go. Lyft and Uber have already partnered with OEMs.

And, FYI, the technology is already there for level 5 autonomy, the problem is regulation and rules around it and how it interacts with self-operated cars, which have human error and non-computerized judgement.
All the police ticket revenue lost, but then again police will be robots, right? Or mother nature could throw us a curve ball and set us back a few hundred years or longer. All speculation.

Old 10-07-2017, 02:15 PM

Quote:
If that's your only defense then you're grasping at straws. That Bolt is doing far more already than most people on this thread think won't be able to happen in 20 years.

About half the country doesn't see snow. If it does snow, then drive it yourself.
Cruise control doesn't work well in the city, but I still have it on my car.
OK, half the country doesn't see snow. That means driverless cars are unsuitable for half the country, and I don't think they can overcome the snow problem. Which means that driverless cars will never be common in half the country.

On the subject of cruise control, intown is where I use it the most. LOL. It's the only way to keep from getting speeding tickets with our stupid 20 mph speed limits around here. I set the cruise control at 25 mph.

Old 10-07-2017, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
OK, half the country doesn't see snow. That means driverless cars are unsuitable for half the country, and I don't think they can overcome the snow problem. Which means that driverless cars will never be common in half the country.

On the subject of cruise control, intown is where I use it the most. LOL. It's the only way to keep from getting speeding tickets with our stupid 20 mph speed limits around here. I set the cruise control at 25 mph.
Glass half empty kinda guy I see.
Let me rephrase, half the world doesn’t see snow. The half that does see it only sees it half the year.
So why not make something because half the world can’t use it for half of the year? They still have convertible sports cars don’t they?
Either way, where there is money, technology finds a way...https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.wir...te-in-snow/amp

Old 10-07-2017, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Glass half empty kinda guy I see.
Let me rephrase, half the world doesn’t see snow. The half that does see it only sees it half the year.
So why not make something because half the world can’t use it for half of the year? They still have convertible sports cars don’t they?
Either way, where there is money, technology finds a way...https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.wir...te-in-snow/amp
Not even half empty. More like three-quarters empty, or if you prefer one-quarter full. Because even in the areas where driverless cars are suitable, many of us still don't want them and will continue driving our own cars.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive