Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2017, 04:48 AM

14,394 posts, read 11,252,791 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
I wouldn't see neutral, but I do see people putting their car in park. At a stop light. You can tell, because when you go down from park to drive, the reverse lights on their back lights flash.

People seem to be getting dumber every day.

That’s quite possibly the worst of both worlds. Can’t respond quickly and in a panic situation could potentially throw it in reverse by mistake.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2017, 07:15 AM

2,211 posts, read 1,574,375 times
Some people get sick of standing on the gas pedal at a 4-minute light.

In that instance... shut the car off and start it when the light turns green.

Verify well beforehand that your car will start back up with ZERO issues, and is healthy there.

Old 10-23-2017, 10:09 AM

5,658 posts, read 6,277,759 times
I guess I'm the outlier. I put my 2015 Mustang V6 Automatic into neutral now and then -- when I'm on a level surface, when I'm not the front car or near the front, and when I know it's a long light. The engine seems happiest with the transmission in neutral and the AC compressor turned off, and if I know we'll be there for a bit, notching it into neutral takes a split second. I also relax from the brake (this is when I know there's no incline-induced roll and when cars are already stopped behind me).

Getting it back in "S" is instant too (though the transmission takes about a second before it starts exhibiting idle creep, at which point I start using the throttle). I never do this when I'm the first car in line -- I take off within half a second of the switch to green (because I can't stand the 2-3 second delay and tepid acceleration a lot of fellow motorists use when they're the first car in line).

Old 10-23-2017, 09:52 PM

7,448 posts, read 7,590,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Creamer1 View Post

Verify well beforehand that your car will start back up with ZERO issues, and is healthy there.
I don't know about you, but I step on the brake when I'm at a light. But the easy solution if one doesn't like to keep their foot on the brake at a light is to engage auto hold.

Old 10-24-2017, 06:56 AM

15,436 posts, read 25,818,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaErik View Post
I don't know about you, but I step on the brake when I'm at a light. But the easy solution if one doesn't like to keep their foot on the brake at a light is to engage auto hold.
What is that?

Old 10-24-2017, 09:20 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,820,680 times
My first car, the carburetor would often stick. When I came up on a light I slipped the transmission neutral so I could stop and so I woudl not have to stand ont he brake to try to hold it back while the light was red. It was a powerful car with weak brakes and when the carb stuck, it would idle at about 5500 rpm, so stopping was very difficult in drive, let alone holding it at the light.

Old 10-24-2017, 06:19 PM

13,005 posts, read 18,911,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Creamer1 View Post

There is a growing movement to eliminate idling. Needless to say, put it in neutral so you can start it.

Old 10-24-2017, 10:28 PM

7,448 posts, read 7,590,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaErik View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
What is that?
Auto hold is a feature that keeps the brakes engaged once you come to a complete stop so you can take your foot off the brake pedal. The brakes will release as soon as you press on the accelerator pedal. To activate this feature just push the "Hold" or "Auto Hold" button on your center console or dash. Personally, I don't ever use it because I don't live in an area where I'm stopped for very long.

Old 10-25-2017, 05:05 AM

6,980 posts, read 5,423,158 times
DETROIT -- General Motors is going all in on stop-start. By 2020, nearly every GM light vehicle produced globally will have at least one powertrain combination available with the fuel-saving feature, which turns off the engine when the vehicle isn't moving.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive