Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2017, 01:09 PM

3,041 posts, read 7,932,278 times

Advertisements

I am 84 with no accidents nor tickets in 64 years of driving along with 34 years with Bell.
Out of curiosity I went to independent agent,he pulled up 14 insurers in my area and all were within $30-$60.
I have only liability,$100-300 and homeowners together,do not feel as though I am treated fairly.
No consideration for driving record past 5 years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2017, 01:19 PM

8,272 posts, read 10,983,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanBev View Post
I am 84 with no accidents nor tickets in 64 years of driving along with 34 years with Bell.
Out of curiosity I went to independent agent,he pulled up 14 insurers in my area and all were within $30-$60.
I have only liability,$100-300 and homeowners together,do not feel as though I am treated fairly.
100-300 is not nearly enough unless you have zero assets and no money in the bank.

Old 10-24-2017, 01:21 PM

8,272 posts, read 10,983,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kool Keeth View Post
By far, in my experience, Progressive is the cheapest auto insurance company there is, Geico is much more expensive at least for my quotes.

I'm wondering...is there a chance there are smaller/small/mom and pop insurance companies out there that would insure me for cheaper?
There are no mom and pop insurance companies. So forget that.

As stated multiple times above - walk into an independent agent.

And NEVER take the lowest cheapest coverage. Read up on how accident people can garnish you wages - for a lifetime.

Old 10-24-2017, 01:23 PM

5,717 posts, read 18,914,437 times
You need to ask this question in your States forum. Not all States have the same requirements, some are no fault insurance. In Texas, in my county, you'll find Safeco, Progressive, and Met to be the cheapest. State Farm and Allstate are almost double the price. My brother has State Farm and got hit by a piece of construction equipment- not his fault. He has full coverage and while they fixed the basic car, the details are still in the air after 6 months and it's been nothing but a major hassle to get this concluded. I've had claims with Safeco and the claims were handled with respect and quickly. They even have a lifetime warranty on the repairs if you use their repair shop. But you can use anybody, just not the life time warranty. My brothers auto insurance is over $2000, on 2 cars, a 2 year old Fore Runner and liability only on a 1994 Tacoma- no wrecks or tickets. For my 89 LSC liability only, 2017 Escape Titanium full coverage and my 2014 Supercrew full coverage runs just under $1000- no wrecks, no tickets. We both pay for the policy up front, no payments. We do pick up discounts with the home policies at the same company.

Old 10-24-2017, 01:29 PM

505 posts, read 847,091 times
I recently switched over to Geico after being hosed by my old insurance company for years. I used Nerd Wallet to get general quotes from several insurers.

You want to go with a reputable company, even it means paying $20 more per month. An el cheapo company will lend you an umbrella on a sunny day and then snatch it back with a quickness when it begins to rain.

Old 10-24-2017, 01:48 PM

10,098 posts, read 4,084,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rynldsbr View Post
I suggest you begin with yellow pages or an online search for independent insurance agents. When I was younger I had a horrific driving record and needed to obtain insurance but was challenged by the cost and the consequences of my own actions. An independent agent helped me out with a bare bones policy, later became a resource for me when I was in the retail auto industry, and then graduated with me as a professional with multiple properties and an umbrella liability policy in addition to (better) auto and homeowners coverage.
Abbott Insurance Agency | Independent Insurance Agency in Fridley & St. Paul MN, Auto Insurance Discounts, Homeowners Quotes and Quick, Comparative Quotes | Wiessner Insurance Agency came up in St Paul with a 30 second search.

I called that person and within the first few minutes he said what I just got quoted from Progressive (about $510 full payment for 6 months) is about as cheap as it will get.

I contacted two others who are in the process of getting back to me - I found a Yellow pages and found them in there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by unit731 View Post
There are no mom and pop insurance companies. So forget that.

As stated multiple times above - walk into an independent agent.

And NEVER take the lowest cheapest coverage. Read up on how accident people can garnish you wages - for a lifetime.
I will read up on it.

I've always been a good driver.

Just in the interest of full disclosure, I had a DWI 4 years ago (everyone I'm contacting me is telling me after 5 years my insurance situation will change).

Old 10-24-2017, 02:15 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,778,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unit731 View Post
100-300 is not nearly enough unless you have zero assets and no money in the bank.
100-300 is plenty. That is all you need to get to the umbrella/excess coverage. Umbrella/excess costs next to nothing, so there is no reason to ever buy more than 100-300 on auto.

Old 10-24-2017, 03:15 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,207,078 times
We have used Safeco for about 20 years, for all our cars and homes. We are more than satisfied with their rates and their customer service with claims.

You should look at local Insurance Agency Companies that can do the research for you regarding competitive prices. If you have friends at work or school, ask who they deal with.

https://www.usautoinsurancenow.com/welcome?

Insurance Quotes | Online Insurance Quotes | Insurance Quotes | Online Insurance Quotes | UsInsuranceOnline.com

Old 10-24-2017, 03:18 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,207,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanBev View Post
Check AARP for insurance.
The Hartford

Old 10-24-2017, 03:25 PM

7,027 posts, read 4,889,008 times
I use Geico and right now I'm paying about $26 a month. Of course, I have the bare minimum and I drive like it. If there's gonna be an accident, it's not going to be my fault if I can help it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive