Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2017, 06:47 PM

21,678 posts, read 24,828,364 times

Advertisements

Nope. One of my tickets was going 80 in a 65 along with everyone else. My problem? I wasn't tailgating enough. The fisherman on the side of the road was just waiting to catch one of the fish going by at 80 mph. I just happened to leave a nice gap between me and the car in front of me he could get in, so he pulled me over instead of the car in front of me. That probably had more to do with what I was driving than anything but the point was he was just sitting there waiting for a gap to get into. You just have a very low change of getting pulled over if you're in heavy traffic speeding. They can't get in to pull anyone over. Even if traffic isn't heavy enough that they can't get in to pull someone over, you've got good odds as you're one of the herd even if they're filling the quota they don't have rather than looking for that car doing 95 weaving through traffic.

Nowadays I sit in one of the slower lanes and do the socially acceptable 5 mph over and don't worry about it. The only time speeding is really tempting is when I'm running late. Speeding rarely helps there, maybe get there a couple minutes sooner if you don't hit traffic. It's less stressful to just not run late both because you don't have to worry about speed traps and more importantly don't need to worry about being late.

Last edited by Malloric; 10-25-2017 at 06:56 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2017, 08:16 PM

12,918 posts, read 16,778,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
It's less stressful to just not run late both because you don't have to worry about speed traps and more importantly don't need to worry about being late.
That's my philosophy. When I get to work (early) I have a few minutes to relax and check the internet or whatever I would do at home anyway. I don't understand people who are always pushing the limits of their schedule and nearly being late everyday. It's really stupid.

Old 10-25-2017, 11:13 PM

6,429 posts, read 6,968,478 times
Those signs with numbers mentioning speed are just suggestions

Old 10-26-2017, 04:39 AM

12,918 posts, read 16,778,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wamer27 View Post
Those signs with numbers mentioning speed are just suggestions
Yes, but I don't believe the people who say they always obey them.

Old 10-26-2017, 05:41 AM

14,394 posts, read 11,115,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenlove View Post
I have to be honest, the speed I set my cruise at that I know I won't get pulled over for is probably 7 above the speed limit. Around here, they are crazy and drive 15-20 above. 7 above doesn't even get a glance from law enforcement.
The simplest solution. Works just about everywhere except strict enforcement areas where they set the bar at 6 over.

If I want to drive faster and risk a ticket I use my radar detector. Even then I limit it to 15 over.

Old 10-26-2017, 06:00 AM

8,452 posts, read 4,715,619 times
I figure there's about 10mph baked in to the speed limits to account for people speeding so at least when you are in areas you are familiar with you're pretty safe staying within that 10mph cushion, weather permitting. Areas you are really familiar with you should know how much more above that 10mph you can get away with or you feel comfortable with. Areas you don't know very well should be approached with more caution both because of speed traps you don't know about and conditions beyond that next curve that you are not familiar with.

In other words, use common sense. You can usually get away with pushing the limits to an extent but the more you push them the greater your chances are of getting in trouble over it. Also remember it is up to law enforcement to decide how much drivers can get away with, it's not your job as a driver to decide for others.

Old 10-26-2017, 06:09 AM

11,754 posts, read 14,579,066 times
Any police officer can make a statement that they don't ticket drivers unless they're driving more than a certain margin over the speed limit, and I believe that is generally true. Unfortunately, even if you have a recording of that very officer cued up and ready to play when he pulls you over, it still isn't binding. The law is what it is, and if you violate it by even one mile per hour you can be caught, cited, and fined.

Having read these forums for some years now, I think for every story of police saying they give drivers a certain amount of leeway you can find another one of a police officer using the "going fishing" analogy for speeders.

Old 10-26-2017, 08:59 AM

10,931 posts, read 11,669,651 times
Don't do it.

Old 10-26-2017, 09:10 AM

15,967 posts, read 20,946,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Bully View Post
Also remember it is up to law enforcement to decide how much drivers can get away with, it's not your job as a driver to decide for others.
Could you repeat that for the yahoos who think it's ok to tailgate because you aren't doing 15mph over?

Old 10-26-2017, 10:27 AM

8,452 posts, read 4,715,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
Could you repeat that for the yahoos who think it's ok to tailgate because you aren't doing 15mph over?

Just get out of the way, then you can both go the speed you want to go.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive