Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2017, 11:47 AM

12,918 posts, read 16,854,254 times

Advertisements

I wonder if all drivers are aware of an "unwritten" rule which traffic cops will honor is that it is okay to go the speed of everyone else if they are speeding.

Yesterday I drove through a speed trap driving 15 miles above the limit. Technically, the cop sitting there could have stopped anyone he chose to. But the fact that everyone is driving the same speed implies that it is safe. And for one slow driver to try to slow others down, the cop sees that "legal" driver as being disruptive in that scenario.

I was told this "unwritten" rule by a traffic cop speaking to a class in school a few years before I began driving. If they take this kind of action to tell young people this, I think it must be a serious issue.

Has anyone else heard anything like this?

Thanks for any info.

Mod note added Nov 3, 2017: People, this thread devolved into yet another bitter argument about people hogging the left/passing lane. That topic is OFF LIMITS in this forum and numerous posts have been deleted. If the thread returns to the topic of left-lane drivers it will be permanently closed.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 11-03-2017 at 08:29 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2017, 12:05 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,764,742 times
Yes, I was driving with the flow of traffic in the middle of a group of about 15 cars. . About 15 MPH over the speed limit. I got pulled over for speeding. As he handed me the ticket, I asked him why he picked me out over all the other cars that were with me going the same speed. He said it was because I was in a Red Camaro. Then he revised the ticket to 5 mph over (rather than 10) "To be fair since you were just going with the flow."

At least I qualified for traffic school.

Old 10-25-2017, 12:10 PM

6,446 posts, read 9,803,501 times
lol nope

Old 10-25-2017, 12:15 PM

12,918 posts, read 16,854,254 times
I admit it's not something I have seen every day. But this road's limit lowers by about 10 MPH during certain stretches. Of course the cop will choose that spot to sit in waiting.

Old 10-25-2017, 12:18 PM

6,980 posts, read 5,409,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
I wonder if all drivers are aware of an "unwritten" rule which traffic cops will honor is that it is okay to go the speed of everyone else if they are speeding.

Yesterday I drove through a speed trap driving 15 miles above the limit. Technically, the cop sitting there could have stopped anyone he chose to. But the fact that everyone is driving the same speed implies that it is safe. And for one slow driver to try to slow others down, the cop sees that "legal" driver as being disruptive in that scenario.

I was told this "unwritten" rule by a traffic cop speaking to a class in school a few years before I began driving. If they take this kind of action to tell young people this, I think it must be a serious issue.

Thanks for any info.
Never herd such a thing and I’ve been since 1971.

Old 10-25-2017, 12:26 PM

3,444 posts, read 2,813,797 times
Not true. My sister was driving on a 2 lane with the flow of traffic. The cop pulled the entire line of cars over and ticketed all of them because they were all speeding.

Personally, I let the flow of traffic fly by me and set my cruise at a speed that I know won't get me pulled over.

Old 10-25-2017, 12:54 PM

23,766 posts, read 29,034,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post

Thanks for any info.
It is an unwritten rule but they will be hesitant to admit so in an open court room. If you ever get stopped while going the speed of flow it's probably because of an overzealous rookie cop trying to make an impression. Don't argue with him but do get his name and badge number. When you go before the court, ask for a "Pre-Hearing with the Judge" and show them the universal "bird fluttering" sign with your two thumbs interlocked while making the fluttering noise. Tell the judge you were going the speed of flow and that rookie cop needs to chillax a bit. It's likely that not only will the judge and you have a good laugh about it but he'll also probably offer you a beer and a chance to shoot pigeons off his window ledge with him.

Old 10-25-2017, 12:59 PM

4,690 posts, read 10,411,984 times
I'm with goldenlove, speeding just holds no appeal for me so my cruise is set at the speed limit. I don't flinch when I see an LEO, don't worry about speed traps, and am happier while in the car since making that change.

Don't care what the "unwritten rule" is, it's illegal, and depending on the speed/state, criminal. Thanks, but no.

Old 10-25-2017, 01:50 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,764,742 times
Now, I typically drive 2 mph slower than the fastest car on the freeway with me, unless they are going some crazy speed (too fast or too slow). Doing that, and more recently coupled with using waze and a Valentine at times, I have not been pulled over for speeding on a freeway in decades.

Old 10-25-2017, 02:01 PM

1,218 posts, read 3,466,413 times
I go with the flow of traffic , usually 10-15 mph over but know that won't protect me if I get pulled over. But, it is better than speeding alone - if a cop wants to pull someone over, rather it be a 10% chance it's me than 100%
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive