Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2017, 12:41 PM
Status: "Hate is too easy, Love takes courage." (set 18 days ago)

1,973 posts, read 3,309,390 times

Advertisements

I've always bought my vehicles brand new. Then i keep them "forever." Well, close to 300K miles, anyway.

The problem is - i'm retired now and have less money. I know they depreciate as soon as you purchase them.

What do you think are the best ways to get as close to new as possible, with the least miles on it - so you hopefully will have no problems with the vehicle.

I have a 2003 Toyota Tundra to sell (118K miles - less miles on this one because i was not working) - which i'll sell on my own, I guess. (rather than trade it in) The reason i want to sell it and get something new is that i'm going to be moving to Maine, and want to make sure i have something totally reliable and newer.

I want to buy a Tacoma. I thought they were around $20K but i see they are more. I should have about $20K cash to buy with - i know cash does not make a difference to car people.

Is buying something that was a "loaner" good, or a formerly leased truck? Is it better just to get one a couple years old than new? I know so many people that say you are just "getting someone else's problems." I dont know. I hate car dealers, that's why i've always loved just going in and buying a new one, and keeping it for so many years.

Thanks for any advice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2017, 12:45 PM

8,168 posts, read 8,478,922 times
Seems to me at your retired age , and that you keep a vehicle for 300K miles, depreciation matters only to your heirs, not you. Buy what you want. New with a long warranty, possibly even the extended factory warranty, would do it.

Old 10-26-2017, 12:54 PM

45,046 posts, read 60,086,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crashj007 View Post
Seems to me at your retired age , and that you keep a vehicle for 300K miles, depreciation matters only to your heirs, not you. Buy what you want. New with a long warranty, possibly even the extended factory warranty, would do it.
The above. Mrs. NBP will be retiring in the next couple years or so and she'll be getting a new Forester between now and then. We also keep them until the wheels fall off so that will likely be her last one, the current one will then go to one of the kids with about 175K on the odometer. In fact one of them is already asking when he can expect to get it. He's one of the ones, along with his older sister, who is starting to label what he'd like once I'm "tired of it".

I have a three year old F150 which is likely my last truck but I'd like to get one more car, will keep the truck. Maybe a Civic coupe, I'm tired of four door cars.

Old 10-26-2017, 12:58 PM
Status: "Hate is too easy, Love takes courage." (set 18 days ago)

1,973 posts, read 3,309,390 times
I don't think i can find the Tacoma new for $20K though. So maybe try to finance the rest i guess you mean?

Old 10-26-2017, 01:37 PM

2,254 posts, read 2,710,888 times
You could always just buy a certified pre-owned Tundra or Tacoma. Much better warranty than new and you are basically get a new car but with depreciation already taken out.

I also would think that Tundra has a lot of trouble free miles ahead of it. I have a 98 Land Cruiser (same powertrain) with almost 400k on it and it's still 100% reliable. It's not like Maine is on the moon or anything.

Old 10-26-2017, 01:58 PM

17,189 posts, read 12,046,139 times
Tundra maybe, but Tacoma resale is so high CPO isn't as good of a deal.

Old 10-26-2017, 02:06 PM

5,341 posts, read 6,495,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crashj007 View Post

I'd agree with this also

Find what you want and ask the dealer to see the oldest unit in stock

Something that has been sucking on the floor plan is a unit they want gone
I would also inquire about upcoming lease returns.

Old 10-26-2017, 03:49 PM

1,095 posts, read 1,045,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jellybean50 View Post
I've always bought my vehicles brand new. Then i keep them "forever." Well, close to 300K miles, anyway.

The problem is - i'm retired now and have less money. I know they depreciate as soon as you purchase them.

What do you think are the best ways to get as close to new as possible, with the least miles on it - so you hopefully will have no problems with the vehicle.

I have a 2003 Toyota Tundra to sell (118K miles - less miles on this one because i was not working) - which i'll sell on my own, I guess. (rather than trade it in) The reason i want to sell it and get something new is that i'm going to be moving to Maine, and want to make sure i have something totally reliable and newer.

I want to buy a Tacoma. I thought they were around $20K but i see they are more. I should have about $20K cash to buy with - i know cash does not make a difference to car people.

Is buying something that was a "loaner" good, or a formerly leased truck? Is it better just to get one a couple years old than new? I know so many people that say you are just "getting someone else's problems." I dont know. I hate car dealers, that's why i've always loved just going in and buying a new one, and keeping it for so many years.

Thanks for any advice.
Crash!! Clatter!!! Ouch, ouch!!

What did you do.....fall on your head!!??

Stop worrying , or even thinking, about a different reliable vehicle. : smack:

The one you own is THE best choice for years for years to come as long as you take good care of it.Good care is all a Toyota needs to last almost forever. What you're doing now is a pure waste of time wishing for something you'll never need unless you wreck it!!

Now go have some fun while you stop all this other bull manure about a different vehicle.

Old 10-26-2017, 04:23 PM

1,143 posts, read 1,377,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retired in Illinois View Post
Crash!! Clatter!!! Ouch, ouch!!

What did you do.....fall on your head!!??

Stop worrying , or even thinking, about a different reliable vehicle. : smack:

The one you own is THE best choice for years for years to come as long as you take good care of it.Good care is all a Toyota needs to last almost forever. What you're doing now is a pure waste of time wishing for something you'll never need unless you wreck it!!

Now go have some fun while you stop all this other bull manure about a different vehicle.
I agree with this. Why does your vehicle need to be so reliable? Is it really that big of a deal if your Toyota were to break down on you? It's not like you have to worry about getting fired for being late to work. $20k would buy lots of repairs and tows if needed. Also, your old truck should be much cheaper to insure than a new one would be.

Get a cell phone and AAA if you don't already have them and quit worrying so much.

Old 10-27-2017, 06:46 AM

13,652 posts, read 12,307,612 times
Tacoma? Don't bother buying used. They want about as much for one with 80K miles as a new one.

I would keep your tundra. That generation is highly desirable. Unless its in bad shape or has a history of letting you down/breaking down/expensive repairs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive