Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-09-2017, 02:29 PM

6,980 posts, read 5,415,980 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGrandK-Man View Post
There's that word again - 'regulation'. Try 'standardization'!

Regulation applies to types of glass used, airbags, corner markers, stuff like that.
Won’t happen it’s not cost effective because it cost more to put a sunroof in a car. You surmise to much and for the record you can still get crank windows so you’re statement about power windows is standard is wrong, you are paying for them as a option. And yes sunroof’s are regulated by government crash standards for roll over crashes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2017, 02:48 PM

17,298 posts, read 22,030,713 times
Quote:
Probably had to pay extra for factory delete!
Lots of cars don't have sunroofs, you specifically mentioned 3 brands that cannot be built without them and I showed you that you were wrong. Sunroofs are luxury items and luxury brands tend to have them but I don't see them being standard on every car.

I don't use a sunroof much, my last two new cars (2015/2016) do not have them but both models more frequently have them than not.

Old 11-09-2017, 03:02 PM

13,258 posts, read 22,833,444 times
Our UK rental Mercedes earlier this year was sunroof-free if folks want another data point.

Wish it made sense for my famly to buy one of those because it was such a fun little car on narrow Welsh roadways.

Old 11-09-2017, 03:39 PM

9,613 posts, read 6,944,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easy62 View Post
Won’t happen it’s not cost effective because it cost more to put a sunroof in a car. You surmise to much and for the record you can still get crank windows so you’re statement about power windows is standard is wrong, you are paying for them as a option. And yes sunroof’s are regulated by government crash standards for roll over crashes.
The cost in making cars optioned similiarly can actually offset the cost of the actual option if it’s popular enough. While it cost more to use a sunroof instead of blank steel, the fact that you can tool a factory for just one big option instead of two added to the added economies of scale benefit can possibly mean the option cost less in the end if you make it standard.

Old 11-09-2017, 03:54 PM

6,980 posts, read 5,415,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy100 View Post
The cost in making cars optioned similiarly can actually offset the cost of the actual option if it’s popular enough. While it cost more to use a sunroof instead of blank steel, the fact that you can tool a factory for just one big option instead of two added to the added economies of scale benefit can possibly mean the option cost less in the end if you make it standard.
You can’t tool a factory to put in sunroofs on different cars on one line. Assembly lines are not set up to just assemble one type of cars, if that were the case than GM or Ford would have only one plant to make all their vehicles. Vehicles are made on assembly lines especially set up for certain models. Have you ever seen a assembly plant i worked in a assembly plant and every plant is set up different to assemble different modules. Your logic to only have one plant to put sunroofs on all vehicles would not work. You can’t put a Cadillac on the same line as a Chevy Cruze.

Old 11-09-2017, 04:54 PM

Location: Removing a snake out of the neighbor's washing machine
3,095 posts, read 2,039,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City Guy997S View Post
Lots of cars don't have sunroofs, you specifically mentioned 3 brands that cannot be built without them and I showed you that you were wrong. Sunroofs are luxury items and luxury brands tend to have them but I don't see them being standard on every car.

I don't use a sunroof much, my last two new cars (2015/2016) do not have them but both models more frequently have them than not.
Here in CT and NY they are present in nearly every Camry, Rav4, Accord and CRV from the last 10 years. And those models can hardly be called 'luxury'.

Old 11-09-2017, 05:03 PM

Location: Removing a snake out of the neighbor's washing machine
3,095 posts, read 2,039,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easy62 View Post
Again, you still don't get 'regulated'. Yes, by regulation the government mandates minimum integrity standards, etc, for sunroofs, but does not mandate their installation in every motor vehicle. See the difference? Maybe?

Respondents just prior to me explained the economics of making something standard in all vehicles of a line, vs as an option. Just as power windows and keyless entry became standard in the vast majority of motor vehicles, so will sunroofs.

Old 11-09-2017, 05:46 PM

6,450 posts, read 9,810,701 times
Quote:
Just as power windows and keyless entry became standard in the vast majority of motor vehicles, so will sunroofs.

I think it was the original Flo that said " When Donkeys Fly" lol

Old 11-09-2017, 08:48 PM

5,681 posts, read 5,156,282 times
Quote:
There's that word again - 'regulation'. Try 'standardization'!

Regulation applies to types of glass used, airbags, corner markers, stuff like that.
Thanks, Cap. I was merely mocking sunroofs as safety devices, equating them in that sense to RVCs.

Old 11-09-2017, 08:53 PM

5,681 posts, read 5,156,282 times
Quote:
Just as power windows and keyless entry became standard in the vast majority of motor vehicles, so will sunroofs.
No, much like leather, dual-zone AC, navigation, wood trim and other non-essential luxury items they really will not.

Mod cut. Moonroofs and sunroofs are HUGE revenue generators for OEMs, even at the currently-low (overall) take rates. Manufacturers aren't going to give them away and a vast majority of people won't pay for them. So you've got quite the gap to bridge on your path to standardization.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 11-10-2017 at 08:36 AM.. Reason: Rude.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive