Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2019, 06:22 PM

Location: Removing a snake out of the neighbor's washing machine
3,095 posts, read 2,040,736 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by camaro69 View Post
I for one have ordered a car and will continue to do so, with no sunroof.
Well I hope that your current vehicle - without sunroof - is still running economically by the mid-'20s. Because by that time, the only way to replace it, at least wih sedans & SUVs, will be with an older used or certified preowned that does not have a sunroof or pano.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2019, 09:06 PM

2,660 posts, read 1,556,212 times
I seriously doubt they will become a standard feature, hardly anyone who has them ever opens them. Stupid idea in the first place.

Old 05-03-2019, 09:32 PM

496 posts, read 445,845 times
I doubt it either. My current car I bought used and I wasn't looking for a sunroof, but it had one, and I liked the car overall, so bought it. I do like to have the shade open, but I've rarely tilted or slid it open. It's pretty quiet with it just tilted up.

I like how the car looks with it though either way. Also on my car it wasn't part of any package, it was a standalone option.

I highly doubt they would ever become standard. Although panoramic roofs have often been portrayed in cars of the future for decades.

Old 05-03-2019, 09:44 PM

2,258 posts, read 1,137,597 times
Ive always liked a moonroof.
I have always liked moonroofs, and after 20 years, I finally was able to get a new car with a moonroof. I leave the shade open all the time, and whenever its nice out, I open the moonroof all the way.
But whats crazy, I looked for my car for a couple months before I went to a lot to get it. Most of the cars that I looked at didnt have a moonroof. Go figure. Took a while to get what I wanted without waiting 4 weeks for an order.

Old 05-04-2019, 02:59 AM

9,613 posts, read 6,946,692 times
I think this sunroof thing is slowly becoming pretty standard by now. I’ve spent the last three years car shopping, and either the sunroof seems to be standard, or you end up with it as soon as you move up a trim level. I haven’t seen any car that offers it as a stand-alone option. It seems like bundling options into trim levels is the name of the game now.

I’m kinda surprised how even adaptive cruise and all the driving aid nanny’s seem to becoming more standard now. I’ve yet to see a car without an aux jack so far.

Old 05-04-2019, 03:09 AM

9,613 posts, read 6,946,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easy62 View Post
When I lived in Florida people hardly used their sunroof because it gets to dam hot. Even people with convertables hardly used them. The sun tears up a convertable top. And if you have a panormac sunroof its like a huge magnifying glass. So your sugestion that they wink become standard is not true. And with them having problems with them exploding is not going to make them very popular.
I’m in Florida now and everybody has a sunroof or convertible. It’s hot in the summer but gorgeous the rest of the year. Even in summer, driving around warm summer nights with the top down is awesome. Convertible tops have come a long way since a few decades ago. They’re just as quiet as hardtops and seem to hold up really well.
As far as the magnifying glass effect, that’s mitigated by a sunshade that essentially every panoroof comes with. The glass itself is also heavily tinted. After riding in SUV’s with panoroofs, everything else feels like riding in a cave.

Old 05-04-2019, 04:20 AM

Location: Removing a snake out of the neighbor's washing machine
3,095 posts, read 2,040,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Hemi View Post
Ive always liked a moonroof.
I have always liked moonroofs, and after 20 years, I finally was able to get a new car with a moonroof. I leave the shade open all the time, and whenever its nice out, I open the moonroof all the way.
But whats crazy, I looked for my car for a couple months before I went to a lot to get it. Most of the cars that I looked at didnt have a moonroof. Go figure. Took a while to get what I wanted without waiting 4 weeks for an order.
Patience pays off!

I was wrecked out of my sunroof 2008 Kia 3 years ago, the other drivers fault, and I got a decent payment for my totalled. I rushed to replace the car with the insurance payment at Enterprise, which I was recommended becaaue they handled my insurance rental. I blew it on a 2013 Sonata Limited, even though it had the moonroof, it had a reputation as the worst steering car of the last ten years!

I needed a car that drove safely and was tight on funds by then, so my only option was to trade it for something that drove securely but lacked the moonroof.

I should have just gone to a regular dealership and picked out a 2010 Accord with a moonroof: 4/5 Accords of any year come with one.

Live & learn!

Old 05-04-2019, 08:40 AM

6,980 posts, read 5,419,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy100 View Post
I’m in Florida now and everybody has a sunroof or convertible. It’s hot in the summer but gorgeous the rest of the year. Even in summer, driving around warm summer nights with the top down is awesome. Convertible tops have come a long way since a few decades ago. They’re just as quiet as hardtops and seem to hold up really well.
As far as the magnifying glass effect, that’s mitigated by a sunshade that essentially every panoroof comes with. The glass itself is also heavily tinted. After riding in SUV’s with panoroofs, everything else feels like riding in a cave.
I lived in Florida never had a sunroof, and the U-verse from the hot sun in Florida is a killer for convertible roofs. I’ll never have a sun roof or one of those panoramic sunroof not worth the extra expense imo.

Old 05-04-2019, 09:17 AM

10,609 posts, read 5,647,123 times
Daytime heat in the summer in Las Vegas makes them impractical. I don't like them - I don't want even more thermal gain in the interior from solar radiation coming through roof glass.

What I find truly dislike and won't consider is a vehicle with a "Panoramic Roof."

Actually, I wish there were an option for an upgraded AC with even more energy extraction capacity. They typically are not designed for 115-in-the-shade-but-there-is-no-shade environments.

Old 05-04-2019, 09:21 AM

6,451 posts, read 9,812,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RationalExpectations View Post
Daytime heat in the summer in Las Vegas makes them impractical. I don't like them - I don't want even more thermal gain in the interior from solar radiation coming through roof glass.

What I find truly dislike and won't consider is a vehicle with a "Panoramic Roof."

Actually, I wish there were an option for an upgraded AC with even more energy extraction capacity. They typically are not designed for 115-in-the-shade-but-there-is-no-shade environments.
I haven't seen that option but from my experience you can't beat Ford for AC. For some reason all the Fords I ever had were always colder than anything else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive