Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2017, 01:12 PM

5,667 posts, read 6,593,451 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmouse View Post
One issue with the cheaper parts of the Chery, Tata, etc. product lines are that the cars are so flimsy that in a crash you have to worry about them coming apart and injuring pedestrians, other drivers, livestock in nearby fields, etc.
Surely you are joking.

Do you have any stats for the incidence of "innocent" bystanders and livestock being injured by shrapnel from "cheap car" collisions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2017, 08:23 PM

13,258 posts, read 22,833,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rruff View Post
Surely you are joking.

Do you have any stats for the incidence of "innocent" bystanders and livestock being injured by shrapnel from "cheap car" collisions?
There are some late model Chery crash test videos out on the intrawebs where bits of the car coming apart look pretty weaponized.

Old 11-05-2017, 08:55 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,254,017 times
If not for my vision problems (not percieving true depth/distance, which is not good for driving) since a few surgeries, I'd be looking for someone who knows how to fix and fix up a small stick like the datusun I had as my first new car. I loved that thing and it took plenty of abuse and bumpy roads, and it was FUN to drive when you drive stick. And I'd look for a car like that which could be fixed. Forget all the electronics. I have several items I bought for a function but which have lots more, but I'm not interested in those, just what I wanted, and like my cell, only set up the stuff I use.

The other car I loved dearly was my old toyota van. It was awesome, and once we did a weekend camping out of that with the seats moved out. It was easy to drive, the stick was easy to control, and I was wonderful to see above all the cars. Neither was full of computer controlled stuff to break down. I'd trust well maintained car machinery over a com system between master programs to drive your car. Sorry, had too much exposure in my programming days to believe computer assisted makes it all that better.

I'd love to have a vehical to get around in, even now that I don't go too many places. But then if I had a way to get there myself then I'd go out more... I'm completely tired of waiting for people who I'm getting a ride from, especially since if it was me, and there were other interesting things around I'd check them out. But not when on someone else's time.

Old 11-07-2017, 10:50 AM

2,014 posts, read 1,648,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by highlanderfil View Post
There's this whole concept called "used cars". Maybe worth looking into that...
Ive never bought a new car in my life, let someone else pay for that new car smell,sure in the old days a used car was a risk but now even a 10 year old car is in good shape as long as it was well maintained.

Old 11-07-2017, 01:53 PM

10,553 posts, read 7,750,499 times
Yes, they're called used cars, and they've never been cheaper given the quality provided IMO.

Old 11-09-2017, 06:19 AM

768 posts, read 718,502 times
"Will They Ever Make A Car Strictly For The Poor, Working Class?"

Yes. It's called a bus.

Old 11-09-2017, 02:28 PM

3,952 posts, read 2,572,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoNansea View Post
"Will They Ever Make A Car Strictly For The Poor, Working Class?"

Yes. It's called a bus.
Are you kidding me? Do you know how expensive a bus is these days? And the special license required and then everyone and their uncle expects you to drive them around town.

No thank you.

Old 11-09-2017, 04:36 PM

15,971 posts, read 9,383,751 times
Speaking of busses, you can get a used school bus for next to nothing. Some people fix up the inside and turn it into an RV.

Old 11-09-2017, 07:48 PM

4,606 posts, read 2,996,667 times
Well, if I had the wherewithal, ($$$$$$), I'd try to have such a vehicle made.... simple, dependable, no frills or gadgets, everything modular to simplify maintenance and repair.

But for a starter project, before tackling the car, I'd see if I could make a bicycle without any metal parts -- for use at the beach (so no worries about rust)... all recycled plastic, with carbon fiber at the high-stress points.

Old 11-10-2017, 06:11 AM

9,131 posts, read 20,006,903 times
Wouldn't current B segment cars fit the bill? $99 a month to lease a Buick Encore is cheaper than most households cell phone bill these days.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive