Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2017, 05:50 PM

10,818 posts, read 7,191,344 times

Advertisements

I was gonna say they already make a vehicle for the low-income. It's called a bus.
but I decided that was mean, so I won't say it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2017, 06:02 PM

6,975 posts, read 5,301,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steiconi View Post
I was gonna say they already make a vehicle for the low-income. It's called a bus.
And a taxie.

Old 11-02-2017, 08:17 PM

6,864 posts, read 12,002,123 times
Do you remember the Yugo? A car made for the masses.

Old 11-02-2017, 08:22 PM

6,975 posts, read 5,301,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by d4g4m View Post
Do you remember the Yugo? A car made for the masses.
I remember the Yugo the only option was rear defrost so you could keep your hands warm pushing that POS in the winter.

Old 11-02-2017, 10:54 PM

15,972 posts, read 9,333,121 times
The speedometer on the Yugo went to 110.

Imagine a Yugo going 110 without ragged pistons shooting through the hood.

Old 11-02-2017, 11:37 PM

23,065 posts, read 28,778,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steiconi View Post
You might be surprised who all rides a bus, takes mass transit.

I work with 2 nurses at my facility, both paid well, $20+ an hour, and they hear enough horror stories at work with people having expensive repair bills to deal with, and neither of them have any desire to own and maintain a car. They both are just a block away from a bus stop, they bus to work, and once a month, they may rent a car for heavier purchases, or getting out of town. And they're happy-happy-happy!

And to lure these 2 into car ownership, they'd want guarantees that if the car breaks down, it's not going to cost them a small fortune to have it repaired.

Old 11-03-2017, 07:54 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,082 posts, read 80,136,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
You might be surprised who all rides a bus, takes mass transit.

I work with 2 nurses at my facility, both paid well, $20+ an hour, and they hear enough horror stories at work with people having expensive repair bills to deal with, and neither of them have any desire to own and maintain a car. They both are just a block away from a bus stop, they bus to work, and once a month, they may rent a car for heavier purchases, or getting out of town. And they're happy-happy-happy!

And to lure these 2 into car ownership, they'd want guarantees that if the car breaks down, it's not going to cost them a small fortune to have it repaired.
My experience is that many commuters making 6 figures+ in our area where the median income is $160k, home price $900k have 2-3 cars, including Teslas and even an occasional Ferrari but still prefer to take the bus to work in Seattle. We just downsized from 3 to 2 cars and I take the bus most days. It's just more relaxing than fighting bumper-to-bumper traffic, it's not a financial thing. These express bus lines do not have any homeless or apparently poor riders, they go directly from downtown to the suburban eastside cities. Most of us have to drive 2-6 miles to the transit center to catch the bus, they don't have many local routes in our area.

Old 11-03-2017, 08:30 AM

10,226 posts, read 7,491,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by highlanderfil View Post
There's this whole concept called "used cars". Maybe worth looking into that...
Yes, older cars might work. But the computerized cars have been around a long time, now. So any car that pre-dates that would require a lot of money in maintenance and repairs to keep running, plus a gas guzzler.

Old 11-03-2017, 08:38 AM

2,983 posts, read 3,048,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpollen View Post
Yes, older cars might work. But the computerized cars have been around a long time, now. So any car that pre-dates that would require a lot of money in maintenance and repairs to keep running, plus a gas guzzler.

Why get that old? I find cheap used cars for friends all the time. Last one was an $800 2004 Nissan Sentra that needed a (good used) EVAP switch/canister. $12 got the car repaired to pass the emissions test, and good used tires got it to pass the safety inspection. Under a grand and my friend has a reliable daily driver that gets great fuel economy. This is the kind of used car the poorer working class have ALWAYS had, from the jalopy era to now. Easy enough to work on, cheap enough to get parts for, modern enough to be safe and economical.

Old 11-03-2017, 09:45 AM

2,671 posts, read 2,280,506 times
Its called the toyota corolla or honda civic!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive