Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2017, 12:03 PM

127 posts, read 143,633 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by trlhiker View Post
What tone? Everything you listed was your fault not the dealers. Before you drove it off the lot you should have noticed the gas and floormats. Again as for the oil, always at least check the oil to see what condition it is in. I have done that on every used car I have bought. Why didn't you get it checked by a mechanic?

You cannot treat cars like buying a TV. Once you buy it, it is yours especially used. Very rarely can people get their money back after buying a car. Usually only for major issue's that were not disclosed when bought.
Fair enough, lesson learned I suppose.

I just ran out to check the oil drain plug and it was pretty loose, so a quick tightening should do the trick there, could have been much worse.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2017, 12:22 PM

20,868 posts, read 23,558,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blinkme323 View Post
Fair enough, lesson learned I suppose.

I just ran out to check the oil drain plug and it was pretty loose, so a quick tightening should do the trick there, could have been much worse.
You need to check the filter too. And I would definitely take your car somewhere else and get the oil changed and have all the other fluids checked and get them to do a once over on the entire car.

Old 11-01-2017, 12:26 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,820,680 times
Quote:
. Usually only for major issue's that were not disclosed when bought.
Not even for that, except where the major issue was known to the seller and they lied about it to hide the problem. AS IS WHERE IS means what it says. There is no guarantee the car will even make it off the lot. The seller has no obligation to inspect test, or examine the car before selling it to you. If they do not know about a problem, or you cannot prove they knew and covered it up with intent to deceive you, you are stuck.

However with an actual dealer, you have one powerful self help remedy. You can get a permit and picket their dealership. You have to be careful you picket sign only has readily provable facts or clear opinions, or the dealer can sue you, but even something like "Be careful about buying a car here" or Talk to me before buying here" is enough to make them really want to work something out with you.

Old 11-01-2017, 12:28 PM

9,614 posts, read 21,273,013 times
I've never had a dealership offer to fill my tank. I know some do it as a matter of policy, and some will use it as a final negotiating tool, but it's not a universal thing by any means. And if a car didn't have floor mats in it when I test drove it I wouldn't expect the seller to have them stashed someplace to throw in when the car sold; their whole purpose is to protect the carpet, so not having them in there would be counter-productive. Bottom line, I wouldn't expect the vehicle to be delivered with any more in it than what was there when I said "yes" to the deal.

Batteries can die at a moment's notice, so I wouldn't expect anything there. I might ask, though.

Have you determined what the issue with the oil was? If it was completely out at the lot you probably wouldn't have made it home before it seized up, and if some mechanical problem was causing it to burn that much oil on the way home you would have noticed the smoke. My guess is that the oil filter or drain plug wasn't installed properly when it was serviced, causing the oil to leak out. It would certainly be reasonable to ask for a refund to cover whatever costs might be associated with this.

So you have at least one valid issue, and one marginal issue (battery) that might be validated due to the oil issue. Hopefully the dealer's reputation is important enough to him to work with you on these. That's your best bet, at any rate. You're not likely to get a chargeback on the card as long as the car is in your possession.

Old 11-01-2017, 12:37 PM

6,454 posts, read 9,816,761 times
Quote:
What tone? Everything you listed was your fault not the dealers. Before you drove it off the lot you should have noticed the gas and floormats. Again as for the oil, always at least check the oil to see what condition it is in. I have done that on every used car I have bought. Why didn't you get it checked by a mechanic?

You cannot treat cars like buying a TV. Once you buy it, it is yours especially used. Very rarely can people get their money back after buying a car. Usually only for major issue's that were not disclosed when bought.
I didn't sense any "tone" either.

I have never gotten a used car with much gas. why as a seller would they fill the tank?

New cars don't even come with floor mats. Its a line item you can select and pay for.

Is this what the world is coming to? people get offended or bent out of shape over gas and floor mats on a used car? lol

Old 11-01-2017, 01:14 PM

9,724 posts, read 21,237,878 times
It's not AT ALL unusual for the dealer to deliver the car with low fuel. Sometimes they'll fill it, sometimes they don't. This is not something you mention at this point.

Floor mats are not normally included in a sale. With new cars they're either purchased by the buyer or not included. Used ones? Depends on if the dealer acquired the car with floor mats or not. I don't think any dealer buys floor mats to install before the sale. Another one not to mention.

Battery going bad in a week is a shame. The dealer *might* cover that just for customer satisfaction. It's hard to predict when a battery might fail. Since you didn't bring it back to them when it happened (understandable) they don't know if it was a bad battery or a little corrosion on a terminal, but it's worth mentioning. Bring your battery sales receipt with you if you visit in person.

Oil problem. Don't exaggerate your problem, as it's bad enough. Your car didn't have zero oil in the engine; it showed no oil on the dipstick. Correct? That's a big difference. I'd be very concerned about this, and I'd mention it to the dealer asap. If the oil leaked out, the car will have an oily, gooey mess under it. If it burned it, the engine was likely shot before you bought it.

I hope this works out for you. I once bought a used car, an old IHC Scout, about 200 miles from my home. The gas mileage wasn't bad, but I added 4 quarts of oil on the way home. It still ran for me for a year or so until the company I worked for offered to buy me a new car. (I had a new car, but the Scout was my 4x4 for bopping along on back country Jeep trails.)

Last edited by WyoNewk; 11-01-2017 at 01:23 PM..

Old 11-01-2017, 03:31 PM

6,980 posts, read 5,423,158 times
I would never buy a car from a corner used car lot only dealer only because they are certified, unlike a rinkey dink dealer like those buy here and pay here, or a drive time. And always check a car out before buying get everything in writing, if you don’t know about cars take someone with you. If I’m looking at a used car I take a rag and a magnet, I wrap the magnet in the cloth and run it along the body, if any filler magnet will fall off old trick but it works.

Old 11-01-2017, 03:34 PM

127 posts, read 143,633 times
Points duly noted everyone, thank you. Part of the problem was my haste in moving through the sales process, so I need to own that one. Also, the oil mystery was definitely solved as the plug was loose to the point that I could tighten it by hand. I think I will follow up with them about that and the battery and see what happens.

Old 11-01-2017, 03:36 PM

5,051 posts, read 3,581,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blinkme323 View Post
Hello -

So last week we purchased a used car and everything seemed ok, clean carfax, title, car drove fine, etc. However, after the purchase, I noticed the following: 1) they gave me the car with no gas (unbeknown to me at the time) and I needed to stop on the way home to fill up. 2) Once I got home, the oil light came on and I found that there was ZERO oil in the car. 3) No floor mats came with the vehicle (more odd than anything) 4) Just yesterday the battery died and needed to be replaced (left me stranded in the process).

I know these could be construed as somewhat "minor" issues, but to me they are egregious for a car that was deemed as "perfect" and "not needing a thing". So what I'm thinking at this point is to call the dealer and ask for a partial refund just to cover my costs. *Also, I purchased the car on my credit card for my own protection, so I was also considering disputing the charge depending on what road this ends up going down.

Any thoughts?
Check your state's consumer protection laws. You may be able to return it within 3 days or something similar.

Old 11-01-2017, 03:54 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,820,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by duster1979 View Post
I've never had a dealership offer to fill my tank. .
I has been some time since I bought a car from a dealer except new cars, but I never seen them offer a tank of gas, not even on a new car. I negotiate a price, then I tell them to make the deal work I want a full tank of gas, an oil change, floor mats with the Dodge Ram on them (or the Chevy Bowtie, or the Toyota - whatever toyota has), and three spare keys/fobs, and a can of fix a flat, and. . . .

I get dirty looks, but I also get some portion of my want list. The oil change is just in there to trade off, I do not really want them to do an oil change, especially since they might now be mad at me. Except for new cars, with new cars you can always get at least three free oil changes thrown into the deal. They always agree to the gas, and usually to at least one spare Key/Fob. the other stuff is iffy sometimes I get it, sometimes not. Sometimes you have to leave and then they come running after you with a spare key fob in hand. or a coupon or whatever. one place offered me sports tickets instead of floor mats. the tickets were actually worth more than the floor mats, although I would have preferred the floor mats.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive