Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2017, 11:45 AM

295 posts, read 354,200 times

Advertisements

I was on my way home yesterday during prime rush hour traffic when it happened. I was in the #1 (far left) lane and the 2 cars involved were in the HOV/carpool. I was about 2-3 cars back from them and it felt like slow motion as the rear car rolled right into the stopped car in front with no braking. Luckily it was only a 25-30mph roll so it wasn't too bad. Rear car driver was male and car in front was driven by a female.

As I rolled past I can see he was driving alone in the HOV lane staring at his phone. He glanced up after the impact and looked back down to his phone. As I looked in my rear view mirror I can see her signaling to get off the freeway and thought that was the end of it. Then I see the rear car fly past me and dart into an opening in the lane to the right. Right behind was the other car so at this point I knew he was running with the speeds they were at.

He cuts a bunch of cars off and narrowly makes the exit by cutting through the gore point. Amazingly she was able to follow him off the exit but at this point I doubt he's going to stop. I wish I could've done something to help but the car had no plates (just carmax) and no way I could have made that exit too. Hopefully she was able to pin him somehow and get him to stop or get the local authorities involved if they were in the area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2017, 11:50 AM

8,166 posts, read 8,523,637 times
When it happens call it in to 911. That's why I have dash cams in my cars.

Old 11-01-2017, 07:57 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,984,298 times
That drives me crazy. No doubt, that guy wouldn't like it if that were done to him. People are selfish. I hope she found him and got the police involved. Something that minor (presumably) could have been resolved so easily, he had to potentially make it harder by fleeing, if she caught up to him at least.

Old 11-01-2017, 09:28 PM

9,601 posts, read 31,695,251 times
[mod cut]

You should have reported what you witnessed to the proper authorities immediately but it is still not too late. Put yourself in the front driver's position as she may be searching for a witness.

Call 911 and report exactly what you have described on here . . . ASAP.

Last edited by volosong; 11-08-2017 at 12:15 PM.. Reason: Not need for "shameing". S/he came here asking for advice. (And you have given good advice.)

Old 11-01-2017, 10:36 PM

17,303 posts, read 12,242,173 times
Been there done that. Call highway patrol and report or non-emergency police number, not 911.

My witness statement for a hit and run totally reversed the case. If I hadn’t said something the innocent party was going to be at fault for a subsequent collision even though the root cause was the hit and run.

Old 11-02-2017, 07:20 AM

1,062 posts, read 980,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
That drives me crazy. No doubt, that guy wouldn't like it if that were done to him. People are selfish. I hope she found him and got the police involved. Something that minor (presumably) could have been resolved so easily, he had to potentially make it harder by fleeing, if she caught up to him at least.
I hope she didn't find him, because that would be dangerous. People who run do so for a reason. Usually hit and runs here in Texas are by illegal immigrants who don't have insurance and fear deportation.

Old 11-03-2017, 06:09 AM

8,228 posts, read 14,216,228 times
I think calling in a description of the car and plates would have been helpful

Old 11-03-2017, 07:55 AM

23,707 posts, read 30,741,790 times
Without plate information and no dash cam video your calling the Police in this situation would have done little to help the situation. Each one of my cars has a Dash Cam and a digital handheld camera in them.

Old 11-03-2017, 09:30 AM

295 posts, read 354,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pruzhany View Post
Without plate information and no dash cam video your calling the Police in this situation would have done little to help the situation. Each one of my cars has a Dash Cam and a digital handheld camera in them.
That was what I was thinking too. If there were plates on the car I would certainly call it in. Also this is Southern California and the freeway we were on goes through more than a dozen cities. I go through half a dozen just in my commute. The guy could be from anywhere.

Old 11-03-2017, 02:15 PM

23,766 posts, read 29,048,781 times
I see this happen all the time around me but I'm usually too drunk to want to get involved and I have to keep going
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive