Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-04-2017, 11:56 AM

3,133 posts, read 2,256,609 times

Advertisements

I don’t understand the concern. I keep the fob in my pocket along with my other keys. I push the button and go. No issues. Are you saying you drive off without the fob on your person? If so,why would you do that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2017, 12:06 PM

1,095 posts, read 1,056,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crashj007 View Post
In this thread we are NOT discussing the ignition system. We are discussing the push button control of the main power in a car formerly controlled by a mechanical key switch. That key was often called the ignition, but actually it was just a switch. See "Ignition switch".
This describes the "ignition system":
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ignition_system

"Words have meanings, to an engineer too.
I always try to discuss topics in a way that does not exclude the average non tech posters. That said, the "ignition system" IS the entire engine only electrical system.

Old 11-04-2017, 12:06 PM

5,051 posts, read 3,579,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron61 View Post
I don’t understand the concern. I keep the fob in my pocket along with my other keys. I push the button and go. No issues. Are you saying you drive off without the fob on your person? If so,why would you do that?
Took me about 18 months before I completely adapted to the push-button go route. Mostly fine now but occasionally need to restart to close windows and the one push cause the car to beep and beep even after another push to cancel it - something I am missing there.

Also getting out of the car with it running (and the key in your pocket) causes a double beep - like I don't know it's running - totally unnecessary feature.

Old 11-04-2017, 12:08 PM

1,095 posts, read 1,056,059 times
Quote:
I don’t understand the concern. I keep the fob in my pocket along with my other keys. I push the button and go. No issues. Are you saying you drive off without the fob on your person? If so,why would you do that??
Some people take forgetfulness beyond reason to a whole new level.

Old 11-04-2017, 03:14 PM

8,166 posts, read 8,525,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vacanegro View Post
<>Also getting out of the car with it running (and the key in your pocket) causes a double beep - like I don't know it's running - totally unnecessary feature.
Have you not been reading the thread from the beginning? That feature is very necessary for most people. With hybrids it is a particular problem because it is possible to leave the car powered up with the ICE not running and walk away. After a few minutes the ICE starts up, fills the house with CO and everybody dies.

Old 11-04-2017, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Read the thread. Here's my scenario:
Our rule is both of us are supposed to carry our fobs because the seats and mirrors are programmed to the individual fob. If something goes awry and only one of us has their fob there could be a problem, eh?
It has happened that the driver forgets to pick up their fob and we head out to the car which starts just fine since the passenger has a fob "on their person". So my passenger gets dropped off at the door of where they are going shopping or whatever, and then I go to some other store miles away and park. When the door refuses to lock . . . "Swearing occurs"

That's why you need the warning.

Old 11-04-2017, 03:37 PM

Default Glad to have several safety features

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
Exactly. I'm not concerned about the safety aspect, but when car manufacturers add fancy useless gadgets to vehicles, repair costs skyrocket. I had a 2011 Mazda CX-7 & that had to take the synthetic oil and had the TPMS sensors and a bunch of other fancy crap on the car that I didn't need or want.<>
Wiki:
"The Firestone recall in the late 1990s (which was linked to more than 100 deaths
from rollovers following tire tread-separation),
pushed the United States Congress to legislate the TREAD Act. The Act mandated
the use of a suitable TPMS technology in all light motor vehicles"
"This act affects all light motor vehicles sold after September 1, 2007"

That seems to be something that does not fall under the heading of "fancy crap on the car that I didn't need" Maybe you personally check your tire pressure before every trip, but all I do is glance at the profile as I walk around the car. Most people don't even do that until one goes flat.
As for the synthetic oil, I don't understand your problem. On a Mazda forum I found a post relating that the actual oil analysis showed the oil was good for 7,500 miles? So, what's the problem with synthetics?

Old 11-04-2017, 03:51 PM

17,156 posts, read 12,957,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crashj007 View Post
Wiki:
"The Firestone recall in the late 1990s (which was linked to more than 100 deaths
from rollovers following tire tread-separation),
pushed the United States Congress to legislate the TREAD Act. The Act mandated
the use of a suitable TPMS technology in all light motor vehicles"
"This act affects all light motor vehicles sold after September 1, 2007"

That seems to be something that does not fall under the heading of "fancy crap on the car that I didn't need" Maybe you personally check your tire pressure before every trip, but all I do is glance at the profile as I walk around the car. Most people don't even do that until one goes flat.
As for the synthetic oil, I don't understand your problem. On a Mazda forum I found a post relating that the actual oil analysis showed the oil was good for 7,500 miles? So, what's the problem with synthetics?
The problem is every oil change is more expensive because of synthetic oil. And I don't know who was posting on the Mazda forum, but my Mazda needed an oil change MORE often than my older Toyota that uses conventional, not less.

As for the TPMS sensors, it wasn't the existence of the sensors themselves that was the problem, it was the fact that Discount Tire charged me more for tire replacement because of a TPMS lock fee or some such nonsense. Then there are backup cameras, Bluetooth connections, and all sorts of other technology that really isn't necessary when driving a car. If people want the technology, it's a free country, but it costs more in the long run, not only to buy, but also to repair when it subsequently breaks down.

Old 11-04-2017, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
The problem is <>then there are backup cameras, Bluetooth connections, and all sorts of other technology that really isn't necessary when driving a car.<>
Yes, that is one way to look at it. People seem to want a lot of home technology in the car. A lot of the additions have been mandated by the governing bodies, world wide and do add to the cost of vehicles. The working theory is these things save lives.
The Tire stores do bust you for the TPMS. They also overcharge for Run flat tire changes.
But back to the original discussion of the push button start switch, a button versus a mechanical switch, give the complex electronics in our cars today. I think the push button is less expensive and less likely to fail in the long run.

Old 11-04-2017, 04:21 PM

3,829 posts, read 6,731,744 times
I've had a push start vehicle for 6 years now. It is one of the reasons I haven't traded it in. (My dad is retired from GM, so I get am employee discount. GM doesn't seem to use this feature much, at least not on any models I'm interested in. I used to work for a Dodge dealer. My current car is a Dodge, bought with that employee discount.)

It would be very hard for me to go back to a regular key-start ignition. I dread it. It would definitely influence the next SUV I buy.

My keys are always in my purse. I don't have to take them out for anything between the garage door opener and the push start. I never need a key. It is wonderful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoHoVe View Post
Do the doors automatically lock when you put it in drive?

Can you sit in a parking lot and make a call or eat lunch with the engine off AND the doors locked? I do both frequently due to my job and schedule. I had mever considered this could even potentially be an issue!

The driving away without the fob seems to involve cars with multiple passenger s forgetting to hand off the fob when they get dropped off or starting the vehicle and leaving the fob behind for some reason.
I'm not sure if anyone answered these questions fully, since I stopped reading on page 2.

Doors automatically lock when you drive. You can always lock the keys inside from the INSIDE of the vehicle, while the doors are shut. You cannot lock the keys inside from the outside of the vehicle. Even if you push the button on the inside of the door when shutting it, it knows the door was open, so it will beep the horn and remain unlocked. Impossible to accidentally lock your keys inside. But you can lock the doors at all times while you are inside the car. (Technically you could lock the keys inside from the outside if the window was down by reaching in, but you aren't locking yourself out since the window is down.)

You cannot drive away without the fob. As soon as the fob leaves the car, it beeps nonstop. I always feel bad when I leave someone in the car when I run into a store. If I forgot to leave the keys, they listened to non-stop beeping the whole time. Plus, you cannot put the car into drive. I've never tried removing the key fob while in drive. I know it will beep, but I'm not sure if you can drive. Regardless, you cannot ignore the beeping. Even if the car moves, you will know you do not have the keys. My instrument display shows a picture of the key fob and tells you the key is not in the vehicle.

It is really idiot proof. If you manage to lock your keys inside or drive off without the key fob, you really shouldn't be driving. You lack some serious basic skills and common sense. I fear for your life. (I say that sarcastically and joking, but really, it is true!!)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive