Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2017, 02:44 PM

17,302 posts, read 12,245,675 times

Advertisements

What I find more puzzling is the people who don’t turn it off and just habit of leaving the fob in the car. Garage doors with openers aren’t all that secure.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2017, 06:01 PM

9,613 posts, read 6,946,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoHoVe View Post
I don't even park in the garage, so no I am not afraid. Would I worry about someone's elderly parent with this technology...absolutely.

I don't have an issue with tech...passive restraint systems had their share of growing pains back in the day as well. The considerable difference is airbags were being developed and later tweaked to help solve a problem that actually exists...push button ignition isn't!!! Keyed ignitions weren't causing tremedous problems and had basically been the absolute standard during my entire lifetime.

GM designed a problematic keyed ignition and ignored the problem...just another example of changing a design that wasn't broken leading to problems. The GM case has nothing to do with the general integrity of keyed ignitions.

Push button start is purely a gimmick and cost saver for manufacturers.

People keep mentioning the vehicles unlock upon their approach with the fob in their pocket or purse...not new technology at all and not related in any meaningful way to push button start. My Corvette had this feature back in 1994 and it certainly did have a keyed ignition.

I have no problem with tech and am looking forward to a few of the updated features that will be in my next vehicle (mainly the backup camera because I will likely be replacing my SUV with another and navigation would also prove useful I think). Two features of modern vehicles that provide indisputable utility.
Before push button start you turned a key. Now you push a button. I would hope the elderly or anybody else are at least in the habit of shutting off the car regardless of technology.

It’s more than a gimmick. They’re replacing keys because that’s what people want and are willing to pay for.

Old 11-05-2017, 09:29 PM

7,448 posts, read 7,586,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaynarie View Post
Another upside to push start- you can heat up your car in the winter and safely lock it. Keys do not have to be in the ignition. When I lived in an apartment, this was great. I'd run out, start my car, lock it. If someone were to break in, they couldn't go anywhere without the key fob.

You don't need the fob to drive away. You just need it to start the car again. So if a thief wants a fob-started car, it's his. Lots of people have been dropped off at the airport and the person leaving has the fob and the other drives off.

Old 11-05-2017, 09:31 PM

7,448 posts, read 7,586,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy100 View Post
Before push button start you turned a key. Now you push a button. I would hope the elderly or anybody else are at least in the habit of shutting off the car regardless of technology.

It’s more than a gimmick. They’re replacing keys because that’s what people want and are willing to pay for.

I'm sure there are people on this forum who would go back to hand cranked cars if they could. It's amazing how resistant to technology some people are.

Old 11-05-2017, 09:32 PM

8,166 posts, read 8,525,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaErik View Post
<>Lots of people have been dropped off at the airport and the person leaving has the fob and the other drives off.
Yews, as reported in the thread. But most cars beep and complain in that instance.
Since we seem to be going thru the same stuff again, I'm leaving. With my fob in my pocket.

Old 11-06-2017, 05:38 AM

2,628 posts, read 4,298,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bfrabel View Post
Where did you hear this? To the best of my knowledge ANY internal combustion engine is at best 25-50% efficient, which means that when it's running, 50-75% of the fuel that it burns does nothing but fill your garage with smoke and carbon monoxide.
The engine efficiency refers to the amount of fuel energy that is converted into work, not the percentage of the fuel that is fully oxidized to carbon dioxide. The vast majority of the potential energy in the fuel that is not converted into work is lost as heat. The overwhelming majority of the carbon in the fuel ends up as carbon dioxide.

Old 11-06-2017, 06:27 AM

Location: Removing a snake out of the neighbor's washing machine
3,095 posts, read 2,040,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoHoVe View Post
I've just heard/read so many horror stories between the tragic carbon monoxide poisonings or people be coming stranded miles from home after they realized they didn't have the fob when they tried to restart the vehicle. I know some vehicles have features to minimize stuff like this happening others not so much. I also think the feature is just rather pointless to be honest....you still have to keep track of the fob, still have to push the button ect.

I guess I just never considered using a key particularly burdensome.

Anyone have any issues driving off without the fob, leaving their car running ect?

To me it's 'reinventing the wheel' as that old expression goes, but it has one advantage, at least on the Sonata Limited I drove last year: It won't let you crank an engine that's already running! I know. I tried. lol

Old 11-06-2017, 09:13 AM

2,516 posts, read 1,696,132 times
I prefer carrying around my keys. Only 1 of my 4 vehicles have the fob/push start

Old 11-06-2017, 09:29 AM

9,130 posts, read 20,012,483 times
My wife and I have owned a few push button start cars now, and I cannot say we have ever had an issue with any of them. Compared to having ignition key cylinders fail, keys break, etc (Ok, I owned too many old GM's back in the day), the push buttons honestly seem great to me!

Old 11-06-2017, 10:53 AM

13,713 posts, read 12,431,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
Just more to break and charge a crap load to repair or replace.
Well, maybe, but I've had trouble with mechanical keys, locks and ignitions wearing out too, or simply wearing down until you could use a screwdriver or a pocket knife.

Everyone is afraid of technology in cars, and sometimes I agree. But sometimes I have to look objectively and think that they do sometimes build a better mousetrap. How often do you see switches or buttons break? Electric motors break and wear out in time, even relays can decay but that's less common. An actual switch malfunctioning is somewhat rare IME...

Quote:
Originally Posted by superk View Post
I'm not sure I get your concern.

I leave the fob in the car (inside the garage). When I head out in the morning, I just push the button and go. The doors can't be locked with the fob inside, so I stick it in my pocket when I leave the car and lock the doors. The fob is with my other keys, so I don't know why I wouldn't have it with me anytime.
Are you sure? I have locked my keys inside my car Prius III with a smartkey with a dog inside before. Not sure if the dog hit the lock or the key or what, but the car was off as I was getting gas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive