Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2017, 09:26 AM

6,451 posts, read 9,814,509 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoHoVe View Post
Similar problem was mentioned in a long term test wrap up I read where the start button was on the console right above the drive mode button. Tester accidentally shut off vehicle on the freeway and had to coast to the side because it needed to be in park to restart. These manufacturer safety oversights are pretty absurd.
Can you link that? I think that would be interesting to see what make and model.

I cant stop my engine by pressing the button with it in gear. I've tried while sitting just to test it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2017, 09:31 AM

17,302 posts, read 12,251,233 times
You have to hold it down, not just press.

Old 11-03-2017, 09:34 AM

8,272 posts, read 10,991,123 times
My 1950 Studebaker had push button start.

Nothing new.

Old 11-03-2017, 09:37 AM

5,444 posts, read 6,994,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by codergirl View Post
I hate these types of vehicles.I am old fashion.I LOVE to hold my car keys in my hand and to insert the key into the ignition.I just LOVE to do that.I recently experienced driving one of these newer vehicles for 1 weekend and it took me the whole weekend to get use to driving this way.Some things just need to be left alone.
What do you mean "get used to driving this way". We are talking about starting the vehicle and turning off the vehicle. What is there to get used to? Put your foot on the brake and push the button. That's all there is to it. I swear, I really think there are people out there who complain just to complain.

Old 11-03-2017, 09:41 AM

494 posts, read 501,696 times
Here's the problem: My wife drives a 2013 Prius with the push button, parks it in the garage and leaves the keys in the car. When the car is stopped or placed in park, the engine shuts off after a few seconds. The car "restarts" when either the gas pedal is pressed or after a few minutes pass.

In the past, we have parked the car in the garage and went into the house forgetting to shut the car off, only to discover later that the car was still running. It's a problem.

Old 11-03-2017, 09:49 AM

3,631 posts, read 7,671,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTLightning View Post
Can you link that? I think that would be interesting to see what make and model.

I cant stop my engine by pressing the button with it in gear. I've tried while sitting just to test it.

Sure I will find it after work and link it.
I was really surprised myself!

Old 11-03-2017, 10:02 AM

4,569 posts, read 5,672,673 times
I like push button start.

I've had more problems with keys than with the keyless entry and start button. With modern vehicles all using RFID immobilizers, there's really no reason to require inserting a physical key in the ignition except tradition.

Old 11-03-2017, 10:45 AM

1,073 posts, read 2,095,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoHoVe View Post
Sure I will find it after work and link it.
I was really surprised myself!

I once thought I had one of those "runaway" cars that had the stuck acceleration pedal problem. I panicked in traffic. It was a huge ordeal. Come to find out, it was the new sneakers I was wearing. LOL. I had my foot on the brake and accelerator at the same time. I promise, I'm not a typical "girl driver." I have never pressed the brake and accelerator at the same time. Anyway, the service guy at the dealer told me if anything like that ever happens in the future, I can shut down the engine by holding down the start button for several seconds. Not sure if this is the case for all vehicles. I'm in a 2011 G37.

Oh, and to address the OP. A few years ago, my husband somehow left home without his fob. I think the story went something like this: he got in his car, started the engine, and for whatever reason, he needed to change out of the jeans he was wearing, so he left the car running in the garage while he ran inside to change. He left the jeans in the closet with the fob in it. He and my son drove to a restaurant to have lunch. He and I were feuding at the time and weren't speaking, but he had to swallow his pride and call me once he'd sat down to order, and realized he didn't have the fob. LOL. I found the fob in the pocket of his jeans and took it to him.

Old 11-03-2017, 11:01 AM

2,983 posts, read 3,092,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs.JT View Post
Oh, and to address the OP. A few years ago, my husband somehow left home without his fob. I think the story went something like this: he got in his car, started the engine, and for whatever reason, he needed to change out of the jeans he was wearing, so he left the car running in the garage while he ran inside to change. He left the jeans in the closet with the fob in it. He and my son drove to a restaurant to have lunch. He and I were feuding at the time and weren't speaking, but he had to swallow his pride and call me once he'd sat down to order, and realized he didn't have the fob. LOL. I found the fob in the pocket of his jeans and took it to him.

You have to really try to do that as the moment you open the door with the car running it starts nagging you with bells and dash warnings, and if the fob is "out of range" it really starts nagging and doesn't let up. You have to INTENTIONALLY ignore it to do that or be pretty stupid.

This is not really a problem for adults who are even halfway awake. Sorry, but I'm in the "you get what you deserve" category at that point.

Old 11-03-2017, 11:11 AM

1,073 posts, read 2,095,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiffer E38 View Post
You have to really try to do that as the moment you open the door with the car running it starts nagging you with bells and dash warnings, and if the fob is "out of range" it really starts nagging and doesn't let up. You have to INTENTIONALLY ignore it to do that or be pretty stupid.

This is not really a problem for adults who are even halfway awake. Sorry, but I'm in the "you get what you deserve" category at that point.
I didn't' say it was EASY to leave the fob behind. I was just illustrating a point. It can happen. LOL @ pretty stupid. I ignore the warning ALL the time when the fob is in my pocket, and I have to run back into the house to get something. The warning beeps stop after a few seconds. So would it NOT be possible for a person to leave the fob in the house (the way the husband did) and run back out to the car after the warning beeps stopped and take off driving? I think so.

You took my post way too seriously with your apology. No need to apologize. Your response was hilarious to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive