Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-03-2017, 05:49 PM

8,166 posts, read 8,526,811 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoHoVe View Post
<>The driving away without the fob seems to involve cars with multiple passenger s forgetting to hand off the fob when they get dropped off or starting the vehicle and leaving the fob behind for some reason.
When we got the Murano, SO and I agreed that both of us carry our keys regardless of who plans to drive.
The only issue is with the seat and mirror programming which seems to pick up whoever gets in the car first. Of course, that's the passenger. This is a fob problem, not a push button issue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2017, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by notnamed View Post
<>I don’t get how anyone can not know their car is still running between all the lights and sounds.
Double distracted people talking on cell phones, in the house fire reported locally.

Old 11-03-2017, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian_M View Post
I'm another ancient hold-over...<> and hope it'll go another decade<>
Ten Years!?
Heck, ten years from now the car will recognize you as you get in and ask "Where do you want to go today, Brian?" and when you say, "To Work." It will respond, "What, no tie today? It's not casual Friday yet, Brian."
"Ha. Ha."
"I'm sorry, Brian, I can't do that."

Old 11-03-2017, 05:59 PM

6,452 posts, read 9,814,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crashj007 View Post
You are worried about the battery in the fob? In my Murano you just put the fob in the pocket in the dash and the car detects the chip and allows a start.
The car did give a warning a day before the fob died. The battery is very simple to change. Mine lasted 4 years.
YMMV
My fob does the same thing and it is only a normal 2032 battery than can be found almost anywhere that sells batteries.

Old 11-03-2017, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by easy62 View Post
Omg why does something simple like push button start have to turn into so much technical jargon.<>
The OP was looking for reassurance that the issues discussed in the past are not a problem nowadays. Several other posters have related helpful stories. There are car guys and engineers here who love the technical bits.
"Beginning of discussion"

Old 11-03-2017, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by codergirl View Post
I hate these types of vehicles.I am old fashion.I LOVE to hold my car keys in my hand and to insert the key into the ignition.I just LOVE to do that.I recently experienced driving one of these newer vehicles for 1 weekend and it took me the whole weekend to get use to driving this way.Some things just need to be left alone.
I bet you didn't use the backup camera, either?
There are a lot of updated features in car today that are not noticeable but they are there for your safety and convenience.
I do like the mechanical feel of a key going into a slot. Thing is, there is a lot of wear and tear to do that, given the steering column and gear shift interlocks involved. My motorhome has an old GMC tumbler lock. Failure is so common that all parts store carry a display of them for the 40 years or so they were used.
Trust us, this is a real improvement.

Old 11-03-2017, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland_Collector View Post
Huh? Every combustible hydrocarbon produces at least some CO when combustion occurs. Diesel is no exception.
That is true, no CO from diesel is a myth.
In the garage suicide, death comes not from the gas but the heat of the exhaust itself. It's not a quiet, tranquil scene at all.
"Former EMT person"

Old 11-03-2017, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrick85395 View Post
Here's the problem: My wife drives a 2013 Prius with the push button, parks it in the garage and leaves the keys in the car. When the car is stopped or placed in park, the engine shuts off after a few seconds. The car "restarts" when either the gas pedal is pressed or after a few minutes pass.
In the past, we have parked the car in the garage and went into the house forgetting to shut the car off, only to discover later that the car was still running. It's a problem.
Yes and that is exactly what has been reported as an issue by others. The engine starts as juice is drawn from the batteries by the car just being alive.
Fixing it should be a SMOP = Small Matter Of Programming

Old 11-03-2017, 06:21 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,365,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
Here is my horror story involving a key fob.
My wife and I were late to catch a flight and the guy at the rental car agency was kind enough to drive us to the gate using our rental car instead of us having to wait for the shuttle bus. We were dashing to security when my wifes phone rang and guess what the key fob was in my pocket! We stopped our hustle to find the information booth to leave the fob at for the rental guy. What a pain.
That detour mixed with security that was a ridiculous packed mob of people we ended up missing our plane.

The key fobs are good and bad.
That doesn't really sound like a problem with the key fob.

Old 11-03-2017, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTLightning View Post
Can you link that? I think that would be interesting to see what make and model.
I cant stop my engine by pressing the button with it in gear. I've tried while sitting just to test it.
That was the problem when the family killed in the Toyota/Lexus with the accelerator pedal stuck under the improperly installed carpet. Neither the driver (a State Trooper) nor the 911 operator knew to press and hold for 3 seconds or more to stop the engine.
On my Murano I can also jab at it repeatedly, but I've not tried that.
Everyone do a test in a safe place this weekend.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive