Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2017, 12:44 AM

16,215 posts, read 11,335,819 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by V8 Vega View Post
You go to hot rod car shows and 57 Chevy's are all over the place. 57 Fords and Plymouths are all but extinct.
Can't speak too much for Plymouths, but the '57 Ford, with its movie roles in Thunder Road and The Adventures of Ford Fairlane (classic retractable-roof SunLiner) still draws a lot of respect in these parts.

And just to draw a little bit more on the "reincarnation" angle in Christine, i'll mention that I'm a railroad buff, and another prominent example of "machines with a personality" (steam locomotives) were making a one-way trip to the scrapyards and steel mills all through the Fifties.

Last edited by 2nd trick op; 11-05-2017 at 12:54 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2017, 11:32 AM

1,009 posts, read 1,989,965 times
One of my car books said that "Christine" was actually not completely accurate because in 58 Fury's were only available in "Buckskin Beige" or some such color. But books have been wrong.

Old 11-05-2017, 12:20 PM

8,278 posts, read 6,275,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stilldriveem View Post
One of my car books said that "Christine" was actually not completely accurate because in 58 Fury's were only available in "Buckskin Beige" or some such color. But books have been wrong.
IIRC from the novel (and I may be wrong) Christine was a special order which explains both the color and her being a 1958 4-door (which wasn't even an option until 1959). The movie made Christine a 2 door. Also the tranny was described as Hydramatic (GM) not Torqueflite (Chrysler) and Torqueflite were push button drive, not lever.

I'm pretty sure if I watched the movie again (it's been a decade or so) I'd probably pick up a bunch more.

Old 11-05-2017, 04:16 PM

31,909 posts, read 26,979,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoHoVe View Post
Stephen King on Christine

I loved both the book and movie...prefer the book myself actually.

On my to do list is one day reading the book "Christine". Have never been able to understand just what ticked the ole girl off/how she (the car) became possessed in first place.

Old 11-05-2017, 09:51 PM

19,719 posts, read 16,842,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
On my to do list is one day reading the book "Christine". Have never been able to understand just what ticked the ole girl off/how she (the car) became possessed in first place.
That is the mystic of the movie, how Christine came to be possessed. Even in the opening scene, you see that the assembly line guy gets his hand crushed by Christine, so she was born bad. Then, in the closing scene, you see that little bit of metal spring loose, as if Christine isn't really dead and can't be killed.

We've watched that movie a bunch of times, even have the video. Just a cool premise.

Old 11-06-2017, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
That is the mystic of the movie, how Christine came to be possessed. Even in the opening scene, you see that the assembly line guy gets his hand crushed by Christine, so she was born bad. Then, in the closing scene, you see that little bit of metal spring loose, as if Christine isn't really dead and can't be killed.

We've watched that movie a bunch of times, even have the video. Just a cool premise.

Guess that's why "Bad To The Bone" is played for end credits!

To be fair if Christine was "possessed", then a mere crushing/destruction isn't going to work. Just as with vampires things have to be done in a certain way or it would simply regenerate (as Christine did several times) until back the way it was.

For a car or other object you'd likely need an exorcism.

Old 11-06-2017, 01:14 PM

6,980 posts, read 5,421,309 times
Here you go.

https://youtu.be/0I0mBOe01zI

Old 11-06-2017, 04:50 PM

9,614 posts, read 21,270,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
Does the book even give the background? "From a Buick 8" doesn't explain the origin of that car, it just show up.

Old 11-06-2017, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by duster1979 View Post
Does the book even give the background? "From a Buick 8" doesn't explain the origin of that car, it just show up.

Best explanation to date:

"Christine was named after Stephen King's first wife...a woman that made his life, and love for classic cars, a living hell. The book is revenge.....(allegedly)"

https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show...haunting-a-car

Fact that "Christine" maimed and or killed before even rolling off the assembly line mean she was no good even before her first owner.

Some trivia:

23 Facts about Christine, Cinema's Most Haunted Car: The 1958 Plymouth Fury - Carponents

Old 11-07-2017, 09:44 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,810,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by duster1979 View Post
I thik I read at one time that he picked the Fury because he didn't really want to use a well-know vehicle of that era.
Maybe because of the name.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive