Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2017, 08:20 AM

3,754 posts, read 4,237,056 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by artillery77 View Post
However, if you need to go from A to B and not have it pop up somewhere, that's the only time when it would make sense to be worried about it. Now, that vehicle may pop up on everyone else's sensors, but once in awhile, you may want a bit of privacy.
Why don't you just come out and say that you are looking for a vehicle that can't be tracked during whatever clandestine activity you're looking to engage in?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2017, 09:12 AM

8,166 posts, read 8,522,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justanokie View Post
Most all cars are traceable now days. Through services like onstar, which can track you regardless of your subscription status.<>
Goofy as it sounds, that is actually true. 90 year old FIL got lost in his Saturn Vue and we contacted police. Police contacted OnStar* and they told police where the car was and spoke to dad on voice channel. That's the only involuntary tracking method I have ever heard about.
So to answer the OP request for information, select a car that does not have OnStar* type equipment installed. As an aside, do not carry a cell phone, and just possibly, do not use a car that has a remote or a push button start that detects a key fob. It might be possible to interface with a car with a built in garage door activator or Bluetooth. The tests for taking over a car by remote control all used an interface that had to be added to the OBDII receptacle.

Old 11-07-2017, 09:13 AM

7,646 posts, read 4,594,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katana49 View Post
Why don't you just come out and say that you are looking for a vehicle that can't be tracked during whatever clandestine activity you're looking to engage in?
I am looking for vehicles that cannot be tracked, because I believe it will be part of a solid alternative investment. I'm not looking for a clandestine activity. If I were, I wouldn't post it from a computer that can certainly be traced back to me. My initial objective is complete.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/thomasb.../#3174c2122ef8

As the board has turned to think that their vehicles do not collect information on them and/or cannot be used to transmit information about them, I'm just surprised at this thought. Of course your vehicles are collecting said information and of course that information can be collected. The link is for government cases, but the reality is that companies are far less scrupulous than the government. As one of my groomsman who was some sort of uber clearance once told me...it's not that the government doesn't have the information, it's that anyone who needs the information needs to have a reason to access said information from each agency, which has privacy safeguards in place. Companies don't have this same concern for your privacy.

In 20 years, when 99% of the rides being taken are through self-driving taxis that are definitely tracked and your company will always be able to know where you are...I think you'll want an option to escape off the grid...if just for awhile. Or, if you're worried about being killed...perhaps a bit longer.

I think that will be a service of value in the future that people will pay for. It may never pan out, but luckily the inputs are very cheap.

Old 11-07-2017, 09:17 AM

Quote:
<>In 20 years, when 99% of the rides being taken are through self-driving taxis that are definitely tracked and your company will always be able to know where you are...<>
They will track that little chip in your hand or in your head, so they won't need to track the car.

Old 11-07-2017, 09:26 AM

5,922 posts, read 6,465,766 times
You don't even need a chip implanted. Just have your cell phone on you. Honestly, unless you're into some sneaky, illegal stuff, what does it really matter if you are traceable?

Old 11-07-2017, 09:35 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,793,239 times
Bicycles cannot be tracked if you leave your cell phone at home and avoid security cameras.

Old 11-07-2017, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
Bicycles cannot be tracked if you<>avoid security cameras.
Good luck with that one.

Old 11-07-2017, 12:53 PM

3,440 posts, read 2,526,111 times
Quote:
Cars have had GPS units on them for a long time...I think since the 90's...where they could be located by someone. As we go more electric and driverless, I'm sure driving privileges are going to be easier to be taken away.

At some point, I'd imagine old cars that could be rented by people who want to get away and be off the grid might become a luxury again. Plus, old cars are pretty cheap, so having a fleet of nice fixed up ones just waiting and having a few miles to keep them in check might be a decent alternative investment to make.

But, does anyone know how old they'd have to be....or what were some really nice cars to drive that are that old?

All the best
Why are you so interested in a non traceable car? They say, "If you see something, say something". Perhaps Homeland Security should have a conversation with you.

Old 11-07-2017, 07:53 PM

1,380 posts, read 1,449,133 times
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tin_foil_hat

Old 11-07-2017, 09:13 PM

3,631 posts, read 7,669,562 times
It amuses me greatly to think of someone thinking they are able to fly more under the radar in something like a tracking device free 80s SAAB 900 or Cadillac Fleetwood than a late model Camry or Corolla. Heck insert ANY late model car under 50k in a common color.

Older cars are less common and more conspicuous.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive