Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2017, 01:56 PM

430 posts, read 335,474 times

Advertisements

Alright I'll take the advice and do some research. I'm really iffy on buying just winter tires, as winter in Minneapolis seems to be on and off right now as the snows sticking in St Cloud and Brainerd, but there's barely any here right now. Then I just have to replace them come summertime and who knows if it'll start snowing soon afterwards.

Otherwise I'll look. To the person with the alignment comment, my insurance is covering it after an accident so I see no reason to waste a trip getting it repaired when I could get the tires put on at the same time. I'm scheduled up for my body and repair work, so I figured I might as well get the tires put on then as well since it the repairs also cover a mount and balance. Ones better than none, but still.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2017, 02:11 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,810,729 times
BTW: I have used tires on my truck. They were $300 Each tires. I got them for $50 each installed. They had 60% + of the tread left. They have been great for me. I never would have bought that nice of tires at full price.

It helps we have developed a relationship with two young guys who run the shady tire store a few miles away. If they get really good used tires for one of our vehicles, they call us. By shady I mean a little dumpy place with a big broken semi trailer out back where they store used tires. They mostly get them from the pick your parts junk yard down the street. They have no assets and I suspect no insurance so if they make a mistake and you get in an accident as a result - too bad for you.

Old 11-07-2017, 02:16 PM

68,329 posts, read 54,389,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trlhiker View Post
Get yourself the best tires you can afford. Also some tire places sell used tires for much less than new. Just make sure they have decent tread left and all 4 are about the same.

It's also worth a shot looking at Craigslist, sometimes you'll get lucky and find someone who sold a car and kept the snows to sell separately or something similar.

Old 11-07-2017, 02:21 PM

3,861 posts, read 3,152,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K_Chris View Post
So after months, I finally have enough to pay my cars deductible and get it fixed. It's covering an alignment and balancing, but only one tire and I do need all four replaced cause the fronts are bald and the backs are quickly following. So will some basic Wal-Mart tires do for the time being until I can afford some good ones? It might be most of the winter too, as the holidays are coming up and that'll be when I have tons of money to spend from my holiday pay and OT. But that won't be until January due to timing.

Trust me, I'd get great tires considering this is my first time driving in winter (and I already flew into a ditch ffs) BUT I can't afford them now and I'm a bit paranoid to wait.
there is nothing wrong with Walmart tires, just like sears tires, or whatever from costco. the key to finding the right tire is to find the high mileage ones, or with a 50000 mile warranty. Sears used to have a Die Hard tire for the winter, that was superior to name brand expensive tires. well built. I dont see why Walmart would not be the same.

Old 11-07-2017, 03:10 PM

1,199 posts, read 1,553,214 times
Shop around for rebates. I got a set of Michelins for my XJ Cherokee for $250 for the entire set after rebates. Got a set of Coopers a couple of months ago for my S10. $135 after rebates. Garbage Chinese tires cost more than that.

Old 11-07-2017, 08:33 PM

2,776 posts, read 3,248,821 times
i'm running a set of solar brand tires purchased from walmart. I think they were priced similiar to the douglass brand. I've had no complaint with these tires and planning a purchase of another set of the Solar tires for my other car.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive