Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2017, 04:39 PM

1,275 posts, read 1,247,805 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tickyul View Post
I have had good luck with the Walmart cheapos, 49 bucks and it was still running strong when I scrapped my last vehicle after 4 years.
All batteries, including Walmart batteries, have gone up in price in the last five years or so. The Everstart Maxx 94R that I paid $75 back in 2009 (I think) is now $149 for the comparable battery today (now called an H7). They are pretty good batteries, though, and I like the fact that there are more Walmart stores in the country in case you need to get one replaced under warranty.

As was pointed out, there are really only two or three battery manufacturers in the country, that sell batteries to Sears and Walmart and O'Reillys and NAPA and Autozone and Interstate and Pep Boys and most of the rest.

Probably the best thing to do is figure out which battery you need, that has the Cold Cranking Amps and the best warranty for the best price.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2017, 07:54 PM

171 posts, read 190,172 times
At one point this year I owned 4 cars, 2 of them needed batteries

I'm in the auto parts business for 15 years and did my due diligence/research on batteries cause the cars were to "Flip" and I'm CHEAP lol

O'reilly's and Autozone had the BEST warrants and at the time had a $20 Gift card promo deal going on !!

Long story short, AutoZone got my $$ since their batteries are made by Johnson Control and I was able get 2 Gold batteries BOTH with 5 year warranties for $150 after rebates !!!

And DO NOT GET EXIDE batteries those are 100% JUNK !!!

Old 11-13-2017, 01:30 PM

17,574 posts, read 15,243,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsprit View Post
interesting to see all the commentary above about "cold" climate for a decent battery.

most battery failures happen in hot weather.

cold weather cranking amps are the issue for a cold climate with your vehicle. Las Vegas doesn't get that cold in the winter months compared to Northern and Rocky Mountain region climate zones.
I'd tend to disagree.. the DAMAGE usually happens in hot weather, but the problems don't manifest until colder. At least, that's what I've always seen.

I used to swear by the Interstate batteries.. But I wound up having problems out of them repeatedly.. Not massive, but they'd kinda develop a memory on me.. This is the non-green top ones, the recycled ones.

I run a SiriusXM radio and would leave it on all the time.. The battery was fine for about 6 months, then I'd have to jump it.

The little bit of a draw that thing pulls shouldn't have been doing that. I replaced it with a.. I don't know, but it is whatever the house brand of O'Reilly's is, and it's been good for 3 or 4 years now.

Old 11-15-2017, 11:37 AM

1,009 posts, read 1,989,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tickyul View Post
I have had good luck with the Walmart cheapos, 49 bucks and it was still running strong when I scrapped my last vehicle after 4 years.
Thats what I'm using in my 79 T-Bird. Almost 4 years old and still in good shape. Of course my car doesn't put much demand electrically on a battery. And I do keep it watered. And I live in Texas with it's heat. I've noticed it doesn't seem to need to be topped off much more often than more expensive battery's so they must be using good plates.

Old 11-15-2017, 11:42 AM

1,009 posts, read 1,989,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KC6ZLV View Post
Diehard (Sears) is still good battery, but they run about $20 more expensive than other brands.

Here in California's climate, I've been able to get about 7 to 9 years out of Motorcraft batteries. I've never had one fail outright. I've just noticed they start to drop voltage if I sit in the truck and run the ham radio equipment for an extended period of time. At that point I replace them. I've paid about $89 to $99 for my Ford Ranger. Larger sizes run about $130 (or maybe the warranty is longer).

Just my experience: I've only been able to get about 4 years out of some of retail house brands. The worst battery I've owned was an Engergizer. I don't know who makes their batteries, but I mistakenly thought they would sell a car battery that is as good as their A/AA/AAA/C/D type batteries.

https://owner.ford.com/maintenance/s...nd-offers.html
Yes. My folks Motorcraft in their 97 F150 lasted just under 10 years here in Texas. And it also didn't die outright, it was just cranking slowly even after a highway trip. They are good, but I have a hard time spending $150 for a battery for my $900 T-Bird, so I don't have one. Maybe someday.

Old 11-15-2017, 02:26 PM

5,641 posts, read 24,951,486 times
I just bought a Maxx 124-r at walmart for 98.00. Good specs, warranty, and price.

Old 06-25-2019, 07:23 AM

3,981 posts, read 6,735,213 times
I was surprised to find that the replacement battery for a Scion FRS from costco was a mere $77.

Old 06-25-2019, 10:32 AM

15,794 posts, read 20,487,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagodude84 View Post
Long story short, AutoZone got my $$ since their batteries are made by Johnson Control and I was able get 2 Gold batteries BOTH with 5 year warranties for $150 after rebates !!!

Autozone, Motorcraft, Sears Die hard, and a few others are all made by Johnson Controls.

Just get the one with the best warranty, which I've also found to be Autozone. 5 year warranty on the gold (3 full, 2 prorated).

Old 06-25-2019, 03:05 PM

16,569 posts, read 15,268,500 times
I like brands that are household names. They just look cool but can't find them anywhere.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&rct=...61583053025120

https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&rct=...61583184235569

Old 06-25-2019, 09:32 PM

802 posts, read 1,366,489 times
last time i needed a battery for 2016 camry i paid $62
but i know people in auto parts business
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive