Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2017, 09:02 AM

16,569 posts, read 15,298,392 times

Advertisements

Hertz has always been known as "cut above" in terms of service but more and more all car rentals are situated off site, including Hertz. If I have to shuttle past Payless to get to Hertz I might as well get off now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2017, 09:53 AM

3,754 posts, read 4,249,122 times
I haven't used Hertz in years. I like Enterprise much better, started using them because they had a better selection of cars where I travel. Most of the time, they are much quicker to get me in/out of a car too. Hertz used to take forever.

Old 09-01-2017, 10:29 AM

9,891 posts, read 7,236,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRider View Post
Hertz has always been known as "cut above" in terms of service but more and more all car rentals are situated off site, including Hertz. If I have to shuttle past Payless to get to Hertz I might as well get off now.
They are all situated off site because that is what the airports want. I typically use Avis, Enterprise, or Sixt and avoid the Payless' of the industry.

Old 09-01-2017, 10:55 AM

3,177 posts, read 6,833,396 times
I've always used Enterprise because I get a corporate discount. I've always had good service from them.

Old 09-01-2017, 11:36 AM

170 posts, read 316,789 times
Hertz...yuck. I had an issue with the toll pass that I didn't pay but I had my personal transponder (and didn't work) I got charged $36 because they would charge you the fees everyday you have the rental even though I went pass the bridge only once.

I called and filed a claim and they still haven't refunded my money, its been months so I just moved on. Not wasting another hour trying to get back $36. In return I'll never use them EVER

Old 09-01-2017, 11:51 AM

127 posts, read 147,318 times
Hertz has been plagued with a revolving door of leadership (third CEO in four years), corporate relocation, proxy battle from Carl Icahn, and overall weak morale.

Over the years Hertz was long seen as a leader, innovator and premium travel brand with a superior reputation but in my management consulting circles most of us stick with Avis or National (unit of privately held Enterprise Holdings, largest rental car company). Hertz has changed hands many times including being majority owned by airlines (TWA and UAL) and the Ford Motor Company.

Corporate issues aside their service delivery generally isn't great and of late their cars are older and tend to be messier than National or Avis.

Last edited by jewban; 09-01-2017 at 11:59 AM..

Old 09-01-2017, 11:52 AM

11,762 posts, read 14,669,155 times
Cars are pretty fungible, so I can't see paying extra for much of anything.

Old 09-01-2017, 11:53 AM

9,376 posts, read 6,991,616 times
I interviewed about 3-5 years for a corporate job with Hertz. The entire leadership staff that I interviewed with were greasy slimeballs. I rejected the offer and never looked back.

Old 09-01-2017, 12:07 PM

13,715 posts, read 12,459,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmccullough View Post
Cars are pretty fungible, so I can't see paying extra for much of anything.
I always felt that way UNTIL...I rented from a discount outfit. I don't remember the name, but the car was junky and clunky, the wait was horrendous, the check in was awful and they gouged me for extra fees...

Hertz, Avis, Enterprise, and National have all been fine for me. I haven't seen much difference in them. Even renting a car that was three or four years old from Enterprise, it was clean and smooth, etc...

As far as product goes, I much prefer National's "pick any car" and go. That way I don't have to debate about why I don't want x car or y car, I know I get one that fits.

Old 09-01-2017, 03:19 PM

9,891 posts, read 7,236,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JONOV View Post
I always felt that way UNTIL...I rented from a discount outfit. I don't remember the name, but the car was junky and clunky, the wait was horrendous, the check in was awful and they gouged me for extra fees...

Hertz, Avis, Enterprise, and National have all been fine for me. I haven't seen much difference in them. Even renting a car that was three or four years old from Enterprise, it was clean and smooth, etc...

As far as product goes, I much prefer National's "pick any car" and go. That way I don't have to debate about why I don't want x car or y car, I know I get one that fits.
Same here. I rented once from Payless and had reserved a Dodge Intrepid. When we arrived they didn't have one available and offered me a Grand Caravan. I was fine with that until they told me it would be a substantial amount more per day. I was like but they said that was all they could do. After a little while of going back and forth, they offered me a Chrysler Concord for only a few dollars more. Although I tried to argue it's the same car as an Intrepid, they insisted it was a premium car. I just took it as I had my wife, a newborn, and a 3 YO with me and Gramma and Papa were waiting for us to arrive.

I also use Hotwire for rental cars and always get Hertz. But I always get a miled up Jetta or Corolla with poorly balanced tires - they must keep one around for the Hotwire customers. But for $15 a day.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive