Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-30-2017, 09:43 AM

2,343 posts, read 1,739,941 times

Advertisements

Another annoying thing some people do is with U-turns — if there are other cars behind the U-turning car (e.g., the other cars may be making a left turn, not a U-turn), then if the U-turning car comes to nearly a complete stop and makes a tight U-turn when there is room to make a faster, more rolling U-turn.

The other cars get jammed up. If it’s at a left turn arrow, fewer cars get through that left turn green.

If there is room for the U-turn to be turned wider instead of unnecessarily tight (e.g., there are multiple lanes to turn into), then please roll a little faster and make that U-turn a little wider. This allows more cars through that left turn arrow.

I’ve started making decreasing-radius U-turns, starting out wider and faster, and not appreciably slowing down until I’m out of the way of the car behind me.

Let’s work together and help to keep traffic flowing!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2017, 10:23 AM

973 posts, read 915,165 times
Dump trucks taking up the entire space on a two-lane, but won't move over, as they spray their rocks, pebbles, wood chips, etc. all over the fricking road.

Old 11-30-2017, 10:28 AM

3,444 posts, read 2,818,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
It's not a couple of car lengths. I was recently in a serious traffic jam with stop and go traffic for miles. At one point all the traffic in front of me merged left and the entire lane was empty. I took advantage and hit the accelerator. In about 30 seconds I passed 30 or 40 cars, and then merged. No apologies. If they don't understand the zipper method, that's their problem.
The one that got me recently was a where there was construction coming up and the left lane would close in 2.5 miles. Traffic started getting into the right lane, which started jamming up. There was still 2 miles to the point where the left lane would end and a semi pulled into the left lane and kept pace with a semi in the right lane, essentially blocking all the traffic behind him. So that was causing an even bigger back up and he was impeding the flow of traffic. I passed him in the median and drove up about another mile or so before merging in (and not causing any additional slow down, I might add). I guess he figured it was his job to police other drivers.

Old 11-30-2017, 10:30 AM

2,211 posts, read 1,573,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
No, I don't want drivers "getting ahead of me" after I've spent ten or whatever minutes inching along to reach an exit/merge point. Why should I let someone cut the line ahead of me after I've waited?
They are more telling you than asking you when they cut in front of you. It takes Cajones.

You're talking about those that do like in NYC and take the shoulder alllll the way up, OR any turning lane to get in front of the line of cars in the designated lane, RIGHT?

Old 11-30-2017, 10:46 AM

7,293 posts, read 4,094,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soviet View Post
1. Block the right lane of a 2-lane road at a red light, preventing drivers behind them from making a right on red in states that allow it. This just drives me nuts. And most don't actually do it because they have to turn into a parking lot soon after! They just do it without thinking! Arrrrrgh!

2. Driving under the speed limit in the left lane when they could avoid that. 'nuf said.

3. Driving the wrong direction in parking lots. Why? Just why??!

4. Running the red light so late they prevent me from going forward when my light is green.

5. Squirting their windshield wiper fluid all over the place at speed so that it gets all over my car which I just washed. Just squirt your windshield wiper when you're stopped, you nincompoop!! Yes, I've had the argument made that "Gee, maybe the weather's bad & it's snowing & they NEED to squirt." Well, guess what? If it's snowing, I'd be squirting, too! Wouldn't complain at all. If it ain't snowing, keep your freaking fluid OFF MY CAR!!!!

6. Drivers that slow down to under the speed limit in the presence of a law enforcement vehicle & create a massive traffic jam for no reason. It's not my problem you've got warrants for your arrest. Drive the speed limit or get outta my bloody way. I've got places to be. Why else am I on the road behind you? For fun? Yeah, right.

What are some of your pet peeves on local roads?
Solution:

Self-driving cars.

Old 11-30-2017, 11:05 AM

4,214 posts, read 3,759,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Creamer1 View Post
They are more telling you than asking you when they cut in front of you. It takes Cajones.

You're talking about those that do like in NYC and take the shoulder alllll the way up, OR any turning lane to get in front of the line of cars in the designated lane, RIGHT?
Hah, years ago when I was driving through NYC I would not let someone cut in front of me. I had waited my turn and I wasn't going to let the "cheater" in front of me. Well, he was about an inch from me and he continued to merge over regardless if I was there or not. I tried to hold him off, but in the end I let him over. He wasn't happy that he finally got over though. He was pissed that I was trying to block him so he put his truck into park, got out and waved people past as he continued to throw random pieces of trash he had piled in his car at my SUV. It was scary at the moment, but now I can laugh at it. NYC has some crazy drivers.

Old 11-30-2017, 12:38 PM

15,419 posts, read 9,075,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mustangman66 View Post
Since when does merging over into a lane when there is ample room to do so without anyone having to touch their brakes make traffic worse? That doesn't make any sense.

Again, I know how a zipper merge works, and it works well when both lanes are full. Rushing to the merge point, however, to get ahead of everyone only makes things worse. Its no different than when I know my exit is coming up. If I see the right lane is full, I start looking for an opportunity to merge over even if it is a little early because I want to make sure I have a chance to get over. Then you have those people that refuse to merge over, even when there is an opportunity because they don't want to wait, as they approach the exit, they push their way over slowing down all of the cars that are already in the correct lane. This is what causes traffic.
Again two lanes = 2 x the capacity. If all the traffic uses only one lane the capacity is reduced by 50%.

Old 11-30-2017, 09:09 PM

31,908 posts, read 26,970,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
Again two lanes = 2 x the capacity. If all the traffic uses only one lane the capacity is reduced by 50%.

Don't know about where you are, but here in the NYC area in many instances there is only *one* lane (sometimes two) for this or that exit/merge point.

Brooklyn Bridge exit on the FDR Drive is an example. Another would be the merge/dividing point on the Gowanus Expressway either Battery Tunnel (left lanes) or Brooklyn-Queens Expressway (two right lanes).

In either case you have traffic often backed up for miles because drivers remain in the left lanes then try to pull a fast one by merging at last possible moment into right. This as others have stated this backs up traffic not just on the BQE side but Battery Tunnel as well.

At least around here authorities have somewhat addressed the issue at certain points. This by either installing dividers pretty far up so you need to make that merge when should. That or placing traffic enforcement agents to direct traffic and or a NYPD squad car right at the merge point.

Old 11-30-2017, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Creamer1 View Post

You're talking about those that do like in NYC and take the shoulder all the way up, OR any turning lane to get in front of the line of cars in the designated lane, RIGHT?

Yes, and am not having any of it.

This past Thanksgiving was more than the usual CF getting to the Lincoln Tunnel. Traffic was backed up way into the middle fifties (North) on 11th avenue because in part of lots of drivers cutting line from all directions.

Usually on holidays or other peak times the city stations several traffic enforcement agents to keep things moving, this year they must have cheapened out on the OT as there wasn't a single LE or TEA to be found. Absent that presence people did what they wanted to do.

Last edited by BugsyPal; 11-30-2017 at 09:27 PM..

Old 11-30-2017, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by echo7tango View Post
Bugsy, nobody is getting ahead of you.

You, by your action, decided to get into the slow lane. You left an emptier lane, or you chose not to take it. You made the decision to wait.

Be a man, a real man, and take responsibility for your actions. Change your behavior, start using that empty space, or at least stop being bothered at others in front of you when you’ve decided to be in the slower lane.

The choice is yours. The choice is always yours.

Sorry, but no you are incorrect. Flat out wrong, son.

Was where *I* was supposed to be; left (or right) lanes clearly marked for the exit or whatever. It is those cutting in from left (or right) that tried to push their way in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive