Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2017, 09:33 AM

295 posts, read 354,617 times

Advertisements

Note I don't do or condone any of these, some which are illegal. Just having some fun by listing what I've personally seen of drivers trying to "cheat" the system.

1. Always try to use the carpool/HOV lanes. Even if you're driving alone or don't have a qualifying car.
2. Use every exit lane to pass as many cars as possible and merge back in at the last moment. If you can't find an opening before the lane ends feel free to continue on the shoulder until you do.
3. Don't feel like waiting behind all those cars to get on the on-ramp? Pass them all and signal in at the entrance. There's always a nice sucker that will let you in.
4. Long lines at the redlight got you down? Don't worry just drive down the right shoulder like you're making a right turn. Be sure to get the jump once the light turns green. Enjoy the open road ahead of you.
5. Don't want to wait til the light turns green? Make the turn and quickly make a U and a right back onto your route.
6. Gas stations aren't commonly placed at corners for convenience. It's so you can cut through to bypass that stoplight.
7. Tired of waiting on drivers taking forever on their turn at a 4way stop? Immediately follow the car ahead of you when it's their turn.
8. Shoulders are your own personal lanes. Make the best of your tax dollars by utilizing them.

What have you seen?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2017, 09:43 AM

2,058 posts, read 1,668,141 times
Up here, running red lights is almost a sport. Watch any major intersection and every change of the lights at least one car will clearly blow through a red light.

Old 11-16-2017, 09:45 AM

2,211 posts, read 1,575,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtvaj125 View Post
Note I don't do or condone any of these, some which are illegal. Just having some fun by listing what I've personally seen of drivers trying to "cheat" the system.

1. Always try to use the carpool/HOV lanes. Even if you're driving alone or don't have a qualifying car.
2. Use every exit lane to pass as many cars as possible and merge back in at the last moment. If you can't find an opening before the lane ends feel free to continue on the shoulder until you do.
3. Don't feel like waiting behind all those cars to get on the on-ramp? Pass them all and signal in at the entrance. There's always a nice sucker that will let you in.
4. Long lines at the redlight got you down? Don't worry just drive down the right shoulder like you're making a right turn. Be sure to get the jump once the light turns green. Enjoy the open road ahead of you.
5. Don't want to wait til the light turns green? Make the turn and quickly make a U and a right back onto your route.
6. Gas stations aren't commonly placed at corners for convenience. It's so you can cut through to bypass that stoplight.
7. Tired of waiting on drivers taking forever on their turn at a 4way stop? Immediately follow the car ahead of you when it's their turn.
8. Shoulders are your own personal lanes. Make the best of your tax dollars by utilizing them.

What have you seen?
Number 4 is a dead-on description of Culver Ave, right by the Honda dealership, Rt 440, Jersey City NJ, heading TOWARDS Hudson mall, Secaucus, etc.

The red light is also optional there.

Old 11-16-2017, 09:52 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,547,409 times
Most of these will induce road rage in others and will leave the person with many others wanting to hurt/kill them.

Old 11-16-2017, 10:36 AM

7,032 posts, read 14,490,241 times
The only thing in my area that'll save you on your commute and is legal is to zipper merge.

Old 11-16-2017, 12:29 PM

6,455 posts, read 9,822,257 times
Good way to get a ticket or a trip to jail with most of those.

Old 11-16-2017, 12:41 PM

2,684 posts, read 2,403,544 times
Self-driving cars can't come soon enough...

Old 11-16-2017, 12:46 PM

2,668 posts, read 4,500,218 times
Good luck on the HOV lane. In CT we have a small one that runs from Hartford up towards Windsor, it's pretty useless IMO and would be better as just another lane and shoulder but there are ALWAYS cops sitting at the end waiting to tag offenders. You will see people dodge over the big dip divide to get back in line with traffic, it's amusing when I take that route.

Old 11-16-2017, 10:21 PM

17,629 posts, read 17,703,968 times
More legal methods include
1. Leave home earlier
2. Avoid driving during peak traffic times
3. The shortest path isn’t always the fastest nor most fuel efficient. Plan your route for the least amount of stops and traffic
4. Patience and remaining calm will improve your safety, travel time, and fuel economy.

Old 11-17-2017, 04:55 AM

2,706 posts, read 3,384,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtvaj125 View Post

What have you seen?
My 83 y/o Father in Law performs everyone of these, and gets mad if I'm driving, stuck in a line of cars, and do not follow his direction. He grew up driving in NYC.....tells me, "You'd never make it in the city"....like I really care.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive