Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2017, 07:21 AM

22,146 posts, read 33,503,954 times

Advertisements

Well the wife doesn’t want a new car. She likes hers. Ok no biggie back to square one. So I’m looking at Hondas Buick and Lexus with a 6/7k price point or around there.
Finding some cheap Honda Accords for 35-4500 100/140k. Not so sure about those as they look modified lowered etc.

Anything sports car is out after driving that vette. It was a nice car but as a daily driver it isn’t great. I guess it would be ok if you had a 5-10 mile drive but 65 miles one way it’s too uncomfortable

Looked at Northstar reviews and jeez what piles of crap. Staying away.

So it’s family type cars that are built for comfort. So Buick Lexus Ford Honda. I already discounted European brands
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2017, 09:13 AM

192 posts, read 130,988 times
If this is purely a commuter i.e. no kid hauling duties, really any sub compact will do (think Honda civic, mazda 3). Just slide the seat back. Will get much better gas mileage than all of these unreliable gaz guzzlers in your list.

Old 11-17-2017, 09:30 AM

792 posts, read 496,332 times
I got tired of a 45-60 city minute commute in an old manual transmission truck and got an Elantra that was a couple years old with like 18k miles? I drive it just about every day and still I love it 2 years later. If you consider an Elantra too small the Sonata my be worth a look.

Old 11-17-2017, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Bruce View Post
I got tired of a 45-60 city minute commute in an old manual transmission truck and got an Elantra that was a couple years old with like 18k miles? I drive it just about every day and still I love it 2 years later. If you consider an Elantra too small the Sonata my be worth a look.
Wife keeps babbling about Honda Toyota or Kia

It’s simply a to work and home car so I don’t need any special model. Ac heat automatic power doors and windows. Good mpg So I’m concentrating on Accords Camrys. I set up to see a few Accords and a Camry this weekend

Old 11-17-2017, 10:58 AM

10,915 posts, read 31,385,275 times
The 3.8L Buicks are pretty reliable, overall. The Panthers are also pretty reliable, and are generally inexpensive to fix.

WIth Honda and Toyota, look at the 4-cylinder as the V6 can have transmission issues in both cars that would likely fall in your price range. The early 00s Acura TL had the same problems, but earlier or after the 04 refresh, you should be fine -- it was the early 5-speed transmissions that had issues. The Camry doesn't have as many problems, but the V6 had some issues, and I know of more than one that had transmission failures from middle-aged women drivers who do not race, etc. Interestingly, the Lexus ES did not have the same propensity for transmission destruction, but that car is imported from Japan, not made in Kentucky, so it could have been a supply issue.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 11-17-2017, 12:21 PM

6,340 posts, read 4,892,353 times
A couple of responses included the Crown Vic.

I concur.

I had an 2008 for almost 5 years. Sold it with 171,000 miles on it. Nothing wrong with it, just wanted a few upgrades so I replaced it with a 2011 with 88,000 miles on it.

Prices run from $3000 to $5000 to be turnkey.

$2000 to $3000 you might need tires and minor repairs.

Under $2000 is a risk but you might get lucky and have one last a few years.

Many of them of the 1998 to 2011 generation (called "whales" by their fans) are retired cop cars with heavy duty components and a performance tweak.

The civilian LX models are often owned by older people and low mileage cars are available.

The Mercury Grand Marquis is the luxury cousine and you'll pay more for the name and all the bells and whistles.

Old 11-17-2017, 12:46 PM

13,644 posts, read 9,698,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JONOV View Post
Corvette would be fine, but while its delightful for a Sunday Morning drive, it isn't my first choice for a DD simply because they are so harsh and loud. Its like driving a tin-can with a rocket nder the hood.
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post
I don't really see leaving a Corvette at a park-and-ride, but that's just me. As far as daily driving one, if you like it, go for it, gas mileage is not too bad if you keep your foot out of it, tires are a bit expensive and don't last that long. I would think most Corvettes in the 3 to 5 K price range would be pretty rough though. A better car closer to 10K in price would be a better deal overall, IMHO.
A daily-driver C5 Corvette in my estimate makes reasonable sense. For long distance trips, my biggest complaint was the seats... no lumbar support. Otherwise, they're comfortable, refined, and easy to drive in traffic. I fail to see how they're regarded as being excessively loud, unless of course there's an aftermarket exhaust, or you get a convertible. Keep it stock, and it should be reasonably trouble-free. Basic maintenance on the LS1 is straightforward, and underhood space is surprisingly generous.

The big regret of daily-driving a Corvette would be wear-and-tear on such a fine machine.

Old 11-17-2017, 01:32 PM

9,131 posts, read 19,997,945 times
I'd say the best bang for the buck on your list would either be the Crown Vic or a 3800 GM product (Regal, Grand Prix, etc).

That said, I will go against the grain here and say go for the Corvette. Why not? If yur buying an older, less expensive one, and your expectation is daily driving it and not winning trophies at cruise ins, then picking up some rock chips is not a big deal. It isn't like a Corvette is an ultra rare special edition Ferrari or something that you would want to keep in a bubble. Lots of folks DD them!

Old 11-17-2017, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Checkered24 View Post
I'd say the best bang for the buck on your list would either be the Crown Vic or a 3800 GM product (Regal, Grand Prix, etc).

That said, I will go against the grain here and say go for the Corvette. Why not? If yur buying an older, less expensive one, and your expectation is daily driving it and not winning trophies at cruise ins, then picking up some rock chips is not a big deal. It isn't like a Corvette is an ultra rare special edition Ferrari or something that you would want to keep in a bubble. Lots of folks DD them!
Maybe it was just that one. It felt really rough riding. Which I get a sport suspension but I’ve driven sport cars. He said it always rode like that.
Right now it’s all up in the air. I’m trying to narrow down some options as I’m pretty discombobulated in want vs need

As far as a Corvette I don’t care. They made thousands of these things. I doubt any will be collectors and if they are it’s gonna be a long time till a late 90s early 00 vette becomes a collectible. It’s a mass produced vehicle. Sure it may be worth 20k in another 30years. I doubt I’ll even own it by then, I’m gonna put miles on whatever I get. None of the cars will ever be collectibles for me. Whatever I’m buying it’s simply designed as a tool.

Last edited by Electrician4you; 11-17-2017 at 01:44 PM..

Old 11-17-2017, 02:21 PM

17,210 posts, read 57,041,396 times
For 130 miles a day, utilitarian transport as you said in post # 19, a Honda or Toyota would probably make the most sense. Makes little sense to buy something cheaper, just to have it start showing its age as the miles rack up. A Crown Vic would do the mileage of course, but the 30+ MPG of the smaller car would add up into serious savings in a few years.

If you want to consider a Prius, a good used one would be in your price range, if it's just you in the car, or anyway no full sized people in the back seat, you can move the driver's seat back and they are not too cramped. You being in Cali I think you may get a free pass to carpool lanes with one as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive