Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2017, 02:09 AM

193 posts, read 183,335 times

Advertisements

I've hit several. Each time I was paying attention. Two of them ran into the side of my car. We have a few signs to warn high traffic areas. They still pop out at random spots. I learned after my first hit not to swerve cause I almost lost control and made it way worse.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2017, 07:00 AM

6,824 posts, read 10,520,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellob View Post
I have a 2011 accord bought new with only 11k miles put on in 6 years. Now, I'm working nights and having to drive in deer infested areas and I encounter deer nightly. Everyone says it's just a matter of time until I hit one. I'm not sure what to do bc I feel like if my car gets totaled they will never give me the real value of the ultra low miles. If they give me 13-15k, I'm not going to get a Honda with 11k miles and no previous owners. The entire reason I kept my miles low is bc I don't want to replace it for 15 years.

Part of me was thinking maybe I should sell it before I hit the deer and buy a 5-7k tank type car that I wouldn't be so depressed if I crashed it. I'm so stressed out about this and I have to drive in the dark every night.
1. Don't speed ever. 2. Slow down at curves and other low visibility areas. 3. Keep your vision focused a bit further out looking for movement. 4. Keep your headlights in good repair. 5. Stay alert while driving. 6. Always give deer the right away even if they're slow to take it and wait a bit and start very slowly after the last deer because often there can be more cautiously waiting to cross with it, etc.

Old 11-18-2017, 07:35 AM

1,831 posts, read 3,200,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easy62 View Post
If there are deer in the middle of the road at night and they see your headlights it stuns them and they will freeze and not move. That’s why it’s aginst the law to go deer hunting at night, it’s called shining we’re a hunter would shine a bright light at the deer and then shoot it.
They call it "spotlighting" here in Kansas and it is illegal here as well. They do allow hunters to bait and feed deer and tons of them do that. There is a huge black market for mounts and that results in a lot of poaching.

Old 11-18-2017, 08:01 AM

5,674 posts, read 5,882,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rivertowntalk View Post
They call it "spotlighting" here in Kansas and it is illegal here as well. They do allow hunters to bait and feed deer and tons of them do that. There is a huge black market for mounts and that results in a lot of poaching.
"Shining" is done at night too. And its illegal!!

Old 11-18-2017, 08:25 AM

21,020 posts, read 19,383,279 times
Found deer whistles at Walmart for $6 in Automotive...I bought so many as presents for my friends that drive a lot!
Thank you again, op for maybe saving their lives...just from one post!

Old 11-18-2017, 08:57 AM

18,759 posts, read 11,796,009 times
We have deer in our neighborhood and I almost ran into one on one of my late night bike rides. They occasionally get hit on the busy street just outside of our neighborhood, but it's rare. They're pretty street smart in our town. They also like to walk on shoveled side walks vs snow filled streets. I wouldn't worry about hitting a deer. If it happens, it happens, but you're probably never going to hit one. How many do you see dead on the road?

Old 11-18-2017, 09:08 AM

9,229 posts, read 8,550,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellob View Post
I have a 2011 accord bought new with only 11k miles put on in 6 years. Now, I'm working nights and having to drive in deer infested areas and I encounter deer nightly.
Part of me was thinking maybe I should sell it before I hit the deer and buy a 5-7k tank type car that I wouldn't be so depressed if I crashed it. I'm so stressed out about this and I have to drive in the dark every night.
Maybe you should just slow down and stay alert, or move.

Old 11-18-2017, 09:15 AM

4,569 posts, read 5,672,673 times
Wink Pickup truck, cow-catcher, and a BIG chest freezer in the garage

I've had a few close calls with deer, usually during rut (mid-October through the end of November) and near dusk, when the deer are distracted and on the move. When you see one deer bound across the road during rut, assume there's a second one in close pursuit!

I deal with the deer problem by driving a non-flimsy vehicle, and having both F&G and butcher on speed dial. In most states, you can legally keep roadkill if you report it, exceptions include California and Texas where butchering roadkill is banned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NH F&G
NH State Trooper Derek Myrdek said it's almost impossible to avoid hitting a deer if it leaps in front of your car. "A lot of times hitting the animal itself isn't bad; it's what you do to avoid hitting the animal that can take a bad situation and make it worse."

It's not like hitting a moose, which can cause serious injuries to driver and animal alike, he said.

"A deer typically isn't that big," he said. "I haven't been to really any deer accidents where somebody was injured as a result of hitting the deer. It was as a result of trying to avoid it or what they did after the fact that always causes the injuries and more damage."

"Sometimes just hitting the deer is the least worst thing that can happen"
With very few exceptions (moose) , I will not swerve; if there's nobody behind me, I do slow down.

There's been a few times I've come to a dead stop for a big critter walking in the road, even had to tap the horn to get a deer, fox, etc. to "snap out of it" and move out of my way.

Old 11-18-2017, 09:57 AM

23,652 posts, read 13,992,303 times
a: I drive 10 under the posted limit at night. If someone comes up behind me, I let them pass as soon as I can, perhaps increasing to 5 under during that time.

b: My "protocol" for country driving and alcohol detox time is 10 hours.

c: Anything picked up in the night vision that can't immediately be identified, such as a dark field (shadow or body) is immediately marked as "deer".

d: Upon a deer encounter, immediately reduce speed.

e: Try to see it from the deer's standpoint and respond accordingly. Two-three weeks ago, a deer crossed the road as I came into town and then was bolting in a gully on the side of the car just infront of me. I finally said out loud, just as the fence line ended so the deer could turn away, "I'm not chasing you!". There you go, the deer probably thought I was.

Old 11-18-2017, 11:37 AM

16,393 posts, read 30,282,333 times
I missed four of them this week. I have never hit one in 40+ years in the midwest.

You slow down and watch for deer. There is little else to do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive