Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2017, 05:56 PM

2,594 posts, read 2,286,432 times

Advertisements

They don't call them stealerships for no reason.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2017, 06:31 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,525,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
You saw a check engine light and you bought the car anyway?
That was my first thought. That to me is the first clue to RUN....do not walk. Why buy a used Mercedes at an Audi dealership? Why not just go to a Mercedes dealership and seeing what was in their used lot?

Old 11-21-2017, 06:33 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,525,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiruko View Post

As an update, I am going to the Mercedes-Benz dealership tomorrow. I have a service appointment with them. I will demand a copy of that inspection report. If they don't give it to me after having already told me what is in it and who ordered it, I am going to make a scene. This is costing me too much money and angst to let it go without a fight. This car cost far too much money to be going through this nonsense.
There's a problem demanding a copy of the inspection report the Audi dealership had done. Technically, it belongs to the Audi dealership not you. You didn't pay for it. You weren't the customer. So I can see the dealership not giving you a copy.

Old 11-21-2017, 07:07 PM

811 posts, read 615,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post
There's a problem demanding a copy of the inspection report the Audi dealership had done. Technically, it belongs to the Audi dealership not you. You didn't pay for it. You weren't the customer. So I can see the dealership not giving you a copy.
+++
Yahtzee.

During the due diligence period is not the time to cheap out. A pre-purchase inspection HAS to be objective and serve the buyer; in this case the only way that would happen is if you paid for it. The MB dealer had/has absolutely no fiduciary duty to convey its findings to you.

I won't tell you it serves you right because the dealer sounds beyond slimy but you made your bed.

Honest question: Why didn't you contract to have your own inspection done?

Old 11-21-2017, 07:12 PM

3,631 posts, read 7,627,964 times
I would contact a lemon law attorney (yes, they exist) practicing in your state. Yeah, this wouldn't fall under lemon law protection being that used car sales are basically "as is" but if there is proof that fraud occurred that's a whole different situation and you may very well have a case. You can probably just give them info over the phone and they should be able to tell you if they could be of help. Basically they will cover all kinds of consumer protection issues but specializing in automotive related stuff will get you fast answers.

Best of luck with this I HATE people getting ripped off.

Old 11-21-2017, 07:16 PM

6,864 posts, read 12,015,410 times
If I got in a car to test drive and noticed the 'cel' on, asked why it was on and got an answer that 'the cold weather made it come on' I'd laugh in the guys face, park the car and walk away.
The Audi dealer probably bought the car at an auction thinking they got a deal and would sell it at a big profit until they got it to the dealership and saw the 'cel'. Then the big discussion in the managers office 'how do we get rid of this lemon without fixing it.'

Old 11-21-2017, 07:46 PM

6,429 posts, read 6,968,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiruko View Post
Mancuso has a mixed reputation. I have read some horror stories about them that are similar to what I am currently experiencing. I avoid used car lots, because they are not backed up by a franchise. Many auto lenders will only approve loans for cars purchased at franchised dealerships for the very reason that used car lots are viewed as more unscrupulous. I really empathize with your experience with Mancuso.

Unfortunately, doing your due diligence on pre-owned car purchases is much more easier said than done. Very often dealers will refuse inspections. I have had this happen a number of times before. Alternatively, they might demand that the inspection be done on-site (almost no one allows their mechanics to work in someone else's shop).

As an update, I am going to the Mercedes-Benz dealership tomorrow. I have a service appointment with them. I will demand a copy of that inspection report. If they don't give it to me after having already told me what is in it and who ordered it, I am going to make a scene. This is costing me too much money and angst to let it go without a fight. This car cost far too much money to be going through this nonsense.

Also, Exotic Motors is so awful that I have requested the media look into them. They have so many complaints I do not understand how they continue to operate.
One of many things that broke within 6 months of ownership was drivers window wasn’t tinted, where all others were. Wtf??? How???

One small important thing, if you didn’t order the PPI, there’s no way the MB dealer is going to show it to you. That’s what I’ve learned from my good buddy who’s my current service advisor at Porsche. Dealers won’t share these reports unless you bought the PPI yourself.

Old 11-21-2017, 09:28 PM

10,393 posts, read 5,524,127 times
What does your contract say?

Old 11-21-2017, 09:33 PM

3,205 posts, read 3,482,609 times
Quote:
That was my first thought. That to me is the first clue to RUN....do not walk. Why buy a used Mercedes at an Audi dealership? Why not just go to a Mercedes dealership and seeing what was in their used lot?
Buying pre-owned cars at franchised dealerships of competitors is a common strategy for getting better pricing. Audi dealers do not like having Mercedes-Benzes on their lots and vice versa.

Again, the CEL was out when I went back to see it. I agree that I should have been more unsettled by the salesman's comment. Unfortunately, some emotion probably got the better of me during the purchase of this car. This car with these options is exceptionally rare. Hence, when I made an anonymous complaint about both the Audi dealership and Mercedes-Benz dealership, the Mercedes-Benz dealership quickly pinpointed the buyer and got on the phone with me having received my contact information through vehicle history records.

Quote:
Keyword being technically. I have gotten service records on pre-owned vehicles from numerous dealerships where a car was services. A simple phone call, and some verification of ownership will persuade most of them to share the information they have, usually with the customer information redacted.

The Mercedes-Benz dealership is going to use information from that inspection to service my vehicle. If they utilize that history, they ought to share that report with me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elna Rae View Post
During the due diligence period is not the time to cheap out. A pre-purchase inspection HAS to be objective and serve the buyer; in this case the only way that would happen is if you paid for it. The MB dealer had/has absolutely no fiduciary duty to convey its findings to you.

I won't tell you it serves you right because the dealer sounds beyond slimy but you made your bed.

Honest question: Why didn't you contract to have your own inspection done?
I don't think I "cheap[ed] out." Apparently, I wrongly trusted that an Audi dealership would be honest in the inspection that it produced for me. Like most dealerships I've encountered in my area, they refused an off-site inspection. They always cite insurance issues.

Quote:
Originally Posted by d4g4m View Post
The Audi dealer probably bought the car at an auction thinking they got a deal and would sell it at a big profit until they got it to the dealership and saw the 'cel'. Then the big discussion in the managers office 'how do we get rid of this lemon without fixing it.'
My understanding is that it was a local trade, and that is corroborated by the vehicle history. It never sold at auction.

Old 11-22-2017, 03:41 AM

13,395 posts, read 13,420,258 times
OP, I reread your first post. You seem to have fallen for the whole "luxury" marketing thing. A car is a car and a dealer is a dealer. You falsely assumed a different reality because certain brands cost more. For a 6 year old car, I would have at least used my personal OBD2 scanner. Yes, I have one.

Escalate as much as you want. I hope it works out for you. Used cars are usually sold as-is and it's up to the buyer to do their due diligence before finalizing the sale.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive