Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-22-2017, 10:15 AM

309 posts, read 246,300 times

Advertisements

Hey All,

I took my 2008 Acura rdx for oil change and when came back home noticed that oil was leaking from drain plug. Took it back and they said that by mistake they used smaller drain plug which was causing the leak.
They put longer drain plugs and also applied some honda bond and the issue is fixed. No oil leak since past 1 week.

My question:
1. Will Honda bond cause any problem in future oil changes?
2. Would using smaller drain plug have caused any permanent damage to drain pan threads?

The shop i go to is fairly reliable and seems like they had a new guy work on my car which caused the issue in first place.

Thanks,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2017, 10:32 AM

9,880 posts, read 7,209,711 times
It's a silicone gasketing material. It should not be an issue in the future.

I don't think using a smaller drain plug caused any permanent damage but I'm surprised they made an error. They should have used your old plug and the crush washer that comes with every Honda filter.

Old 11-22-2017, 10:39 AM

5,444 posts, read 6,992,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Panda_Puck View Post
Hey All,

I took my 2008 Acura rdx for oil change and when came back home noticed that oil was leaking from drain plug. Took it back and they said that by mistake they used smaller drain plug which was causing the leak.
They put longer drain plugs and also applied some honda bond and the issue is fixed. No oil leak since past 1 week.

My question:
1. Will Honda bond cause any problem in future oil changes?
2. Would using smaller drain plug have caused any permanent damage to drain pan threads?

The shop i go to is fairly reliable and seems like they had a new guy work on my car which caused the issue in first place.

Thanks,
The question I have is why are they swapping out the drain plug itself? The drain plugs that Honda uses do not have the crush washer attached and the washer is the only thing you need to replace.

Now, to answer your questions, I've never had to use any sort of bonding agent when putting the drain plug back in so I'm not sure if this would cause a problem or not. Knowing how much of an idiot they were to use the wrong plug to begin with, I wouldn't trust them at this point and no telling how much Honda Bond they used. Knowing your luck, they gooped it on and now some oozed out the back and mixed with the oil. As for the threads, there is a good change they gouged up some of the threads with the wrong bolt, but unfortunately you won't know until you change the oil again. If it were my car, I would do this sooner rather than later.

Old 11-22-2017, 12:32 PM

5,672 posts, read 5,879,977 times
Sounds like Jiffy Lube! I wouldn't hesitate to make them change the oil pan, since they obviously messed up the threads on the original.

Old 11-22-2017, 03:57 PM

6,980 posts, read 5,419,493 times
Never take your car to a fast oil change, dealer only for me because it’s just as cheap and if anything goes wrong it’s on them. You should never have to put a sealant on a drain plug, someone stripped out your oil pan. Never heard of Honda bond.

Old 11-22-2017, 03:57 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,530,989 times
Wtf is Honda bond p. Probably the glue keeping a Honda together these days

AFAIK from 30 years of changing oil the only thing I ever did was install a new crush washer when I changed the oil. I have never n my life stripped a oil drain plug nor have I ever used any type of sealant on the threads

What most likely happened is one of the “mechanics “ stripped your oil drain plug threads. They shoved the old one back in and it leaked. You went back and they replaced it with a self tapping style replacement drain plug. They silicones it as a safety measure.
The chances of them cleaning out the threads of all the oil so the silicone has a surface to bind to, waiting the required time to let it set them add oil I bet it’s close to zero.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive