Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2017, 03:01 PM

2,348 posts, read 1,741,606 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
Keep up on the oil and filter changes and make sure you drain the water separator (if it has one). You’ll most likely be replacing transmissions/clutches over time. And probably a few interiors. Most Diesel engines if mainta8ned outlast the vehicke they are surrounded by.
One thing my uncle told me is torque converters do break up internally and need to be replaced. Mine was starting to do that. He replaced it. The transmission stilll works great at 180,000.
I see these 7.3s being sold with 300-350,000 miles for average of 13,000
Yes, thanks, that is my plan.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2017, 04:08 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,724 posts, read 58,067,115 times
as mentioned...
Diesel is not needed UNLESS your service requires (heavy towing / lots of miles / HD work situation / brew your own fuel or use any of the MANY free feedstocks / waste oils (including waste engine oil and discarded heating oil and Jet A)

Diesels like...
good Maint. (annual / 10k oil and filter changes (synthetic)
DRY and fresh fuel (if fuel is getting low / after a long trip...ALWAYS refill before you park it (condensation likely due to heated 'return' fuel in tank))

Old 11-27-2017, 07:47 PM

1,876 posts, read 2,236,413 times
I've got 300K miles on a 17 year old VW Golf TDI and the only issues I've had were two broken fingers on the clutch pressure plate at 250K miles (disc actually still have 40% of friction material left) and a leaky fuel injection pump that needed new gaskets.

I also have 200K mile on a 10 year old Duramax diesel. Only issue was two bad glow plugs.

Old 11-27-2017, 09:33 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,544,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
as mentioned...
Diesel is not needed UNLESS your service requires (heavy towing / lots of miles / HD work situation / brew your own fuel or use any of the MANY free feedstocks / waste oils (including waste engine oil and discarded heating oil and Jet A)

Diesels like...
good Maint. (annual / 10k oil and filter changes (synthetic)
DRY and fresh fuel (if fuel is getting low / after a long trip...ALWAYS refill before you park it (condensation likely due to heated 'return' fuel in tank))

I can tell you right now you aren’t getting a owner of a new diesel to dump in waste enginevoil heating oil or jet A.

These new injectors and fuel systems are not going to like those fuels.

At all.

Maybe in a old 70/80s diesel but in anything built today? You’re dreaming. I wouldn’t run that in my diesel. Even my injectors aren’t exactly cheap

Old 11-28-2017, 06:13 AM

6,009 posts, read 6,668,923 times
Quote:
I can tell you right now you aren’t getting a owner of a new diesel to dump in waste enginevoil heating oil or jet A.

These new injectors and fuel systems are not going to like those fuels.

At all.

Maybe in a old 70/80s diesel but in anything built today? You’re dreaming. I wouldn’t run that in my diesel. Even my injectors aren’t exactly cheap

Agreed. I won't be dumping any kind of waste oil in my tank. A set of injectors for my Cummins is around $3k so it isn't worth the risk. Good fuel with a cetane additive is all you need.

I don't get why people try to scare others away from diesels by talking about the added cost of operation. I did the math for a long time prior to making the leap and the expense isn't much more than my gas burner. There is a potential for added cost if a catastrophic event occurs (injectors, injection pump, etc..) were to fail but a strict preventative maintenance schedule keeps most of those events from occurring. Or if they do, it's once in a few hundred thousand miles.

Old 11-28-2017, 09:24 AM

8,224 posts, read 3,498,932 times
Ditch the emissions crap and they'll all go 1 million or more

Old 11-28-2017, 09:34 AM

2,798 posts, read 2,677,613 times
Maintenance is the key, no matter what the vehicle.
But 200K miles is a good median for the engine. after around 100K, a lot of ancillary items will begin to wear down, but a properly maintained Engine (Gas or Diesel) and Tranny should last for 200-350K with no problem.

Old 11-28-2017, 08:16 PM

256 posts, read 453,283 times
A diesel truck in good condition with roughly 200k miles is between 10-20k (sometimes more!) depending on options and year. I would like something that is able to tow and get decent mileage, but refuse to pay big money a new truck costs. Especially since truck will actually be used for truck purposes.

Old 11-28-2017, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MillerThyme View Post
A diesel truck in good condition with roughly 200k miles is between 10-20k (sometimes more!) depending on options and year. I would like something that is able to tow and get decent mileage, but refuse to pay big money a new truck costs. Especially since truck will actually be used for truck purposes.
Please provide some data:
1) how much weight are you gonna tow? (I tow 30,000# daily (gcvw) with my <$5k used 4x4 dually diesels, all purchased with under 150k miles)
2) what is decent mileage? I get 18-20 empty and 12mpg at 30k gcvw. That may not be ‘decent’ in you requirements.
3) what is ‘big money’? Wide range of prices and available options under $20k
4) consider a Truck... for ‘truck purposes’, you can buy ‘real’ trucks for under $10k - $100k, and they will haul 80,000# gcvw every day, all day.
5) how many miles / yr will you be utilizing ‘truck working mode’?

Last edited by StealthRabbit; 11-28-2017 at 09:10 PM..

Old 11-28-2017, 09:08 PM

Quote:
As always, please use your brain. (And a superior commercial filter pre treatment, and drier)

1) some people will never consider this
2) many will / and have been successful doing this.

With the correct pretreatment, Jet A and heating oil is not gonna harm your new fragile diesels.

You can always brew your own fuels to the necessary specs, and use the correct feedstocks (which would not include the crappy USA standard of soybean oil

Be sure to pay road tax
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive