Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2017, 03:24 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,623,485 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pruzhany View Post
Revenue from fines.
Some towns would go bankrupt without those fines!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2017, 04:06 PM

9,437 posts, read 7,369,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reed067 View Post
Which means that people will end up driving around 90-95. Too many people on their cellphone while driving to raise the speed limit if you ask me.
Wrong. The speed limit is already 80 mph on I-84 in Idaho and most people do not do 90-95. Studies have shown that increasing the speed limit has little impact on average speeds because people don't drive "speed limits" they drive the speed they feel comfortable.

Old 11-25-2017, 04:35 PM

9,507 posts, read 4,342,349 times
Quote:
Which means that people will end up driving around 90-95. Too many people on their cellphone while driving to raise the speed limit if you ask me.
When Maryland proposed raising the speed limit from 55 mph years ago, opponents predicted a corresponding rise in average speeds and increased accidents. It didn't happen. Average speeds barely increased and the difference between mean speed and the posted speed limit - a much more important data point in terms of safety - decreased dramatically. At 55, the mean speed over the limit was 8 mph. At 65, it was only 1.7 mph.

Most people will drive the speed they're comfortable with, regardless of a sign on the side of the road emblazoned with an arbitrary number commanding otherwise.

However, I agree that the dramatic rise in distracted driving, a big part of which is cell phone usage, makes the issue more complex than in years past.

Old 11-25-2017, 04:39 PM

7,072 posts, read 9,619,168 times
Quote:
Doesn't seem to be a problem in states where the speed limit is 80mph now.

Old 11-25-2017, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by survivingearth View Post
Alright folks, with all the bell and whistles modern cars have what do you think the speed limit should be. I vote for 130KM/h or 80 miles per hour. Most people travel that speed anyways
Speed limits are supposed to be set by traffic engineers based on 85th percentile measured vehicle speeds. Instead, in the U.S., speed limits are set by politicians for revenue generation purposes.

Old 11-25-2017, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoNative34 View Post
I vote for 80 as well.

As added benefit, people who think they're so smart and everyone else isn't get upset, leave the country and move to Germany. I've been told it takes a year to get a license there and you have to be super smart to get one.

Win win.
These countries also have 130 km/hr (81 mph) speed limits:

Austria
Italy
France

Old 11-25-2017, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post

There are interstates in PA that are 65, but have areas with numerous warning signs to go down to 45 because of the bends around the mountains. You won't make it around those turns doing 80 in the average car. You'd roll in an SUV....down the side of a mountain. Yeah no thanks!

What's your hurry?
Don't people driving 65 on the Pa Turnpike slow down to 45 when they approach these curves? Why couldn't they slow down from 80?

Hate to tell you, even in Germany there are curves on the Autobahn where drivers need to slow down. They do not have an issue doing that.

The speed limit on the Kansas Turnpike was 80mph before the 55 nonsense started in 1974. Nevada and Montana had no set speed limit prior to 1974.

Old 11-25-2017, 05:14 PM

35,064 posts, read 17,014,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redraven View Post
Montana raised the speed limit on limited access highways (freeways) to 80 MPH.
Of course, we only have three freeways: I-15 North and south, I-90 from the Idaho border to Wyoming, and I-94 from near Billings to North Dakota.
Many years ago we had a "Reasonable and Prudent" speed limit on all major highways. That is, until some Easterner sued the state.
Then the Feds declared we had to have the "Double Nickel" (55 MPH) speed limit, that accomplished exactly nothing.
Not what happened. You had "reasonable and prudent" until 1974 when the NMSL of "double nickle" clicked in. In 1987 or 1988 (I forget which) the Feds allowed 65 mph on "rural" highways. On December 1, 1995 the Feds repealed the federal speed limits. Montana went back to "reasonable and prudent." Governor Racicot encouraged someone to sue on the grounds that "reasonable and prudent" was vague. Then the legislature reinstituted a numerical limit, at 75 mph. Some roads were just raised to 80 mph.

And by the way, in my state, New York, I favor 75 in rural areas, 60 in urban and suburban areas, differing elsewhere where appropriate.

Old 11-25-2017, 05:26 PM

5,772 posts, read 3,223,143 times
Default Take heed from this old fart. Slow down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by survivingearth View Post
Alright folks, with all the bell and whistles modern cars have what do you think the speed limit should be. I vote for 130KM/h or 80 miles per hour. Most people travel that speed anyways
Absolutely not.
Personal injury attorneys will tell you to avoid serious injury or death you must get the car down below 40 MPH. It is harder to get down below 40 at 80 than from 70.

I had a lead foot and a powerful car when I was in my twenties. DMV sent me to a class for speeders. It stuck. Time is the most important factor in an emergency. Excess speed deprives you of time.

Take heed from this old fart. Slow down.

Old 11-25-2017, 06:46 PM

19,029 posts, read 27,599,679 times
Donno. Does it really matter that much? What's the rush? Traffic will negate any speed limits to what's physically possible. Crappy roads will tear suspension on "modern cars" in heartbeat at high speeds.
And either way, what's the rush? So you go 10mph faster than you did before. So you - maybe - get to your destination a minute faster. What have you gained? Threatened your life? others lives? For what? Death will catch you anyway, why hasten the date?
See dude with walker?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fk2YRpLnmdU

Doesn't matter, what speed limit is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive