Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2017, 10:59 PM

256 posts, read 453,112 times

Advertisements

I loathed my 2014 Chevy Cruze. It was base with manual and had no power. That vehicle had the worst manual transmission ever. You had to pause between gear shifts for some reason. Sold it at a $2k loss, that is how much I hated it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2017, 11:05 PM

8,166 posts, read 8,525,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peester View Post
Ever buy a car, new or used and regretted it almost before you even got it home? I thought I was going to love it. I sold it and hope I never have that feeling again.
We like the 2014 car we bought BUT. . .
We were on an out of town trip and the 2003 same model died, or at least gave out a death rattle. We had decided to upgrade at some point but that was not the time for us, but no choice!
We liked the car but hated the deal because they padded on the typical extras and said they had already been done.
It's tough being out of town and out of time with no negotiating power.

Old 11-26-2017, 06:26 AM

6,554 posts, read 7,133,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtt99 View Post
Man, you're a slow learner. It took you a bunch of European junk to learn that it's all junk.
Yeah, there’s these small miniscule facts. American cars dominate the list as all European stuff is junk.

https://newatlas.com/100-most-expens...ll-time/32237/

Old 11-26-2017, 08:06 AM

8,340 posts, read 6,785,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peester View Post
Ever buy a car, new or used and regretted it almost before you even got it home?
I thought I was going to love it. I sold it and hope I never have that feeling again.
Yeah, three days after I bought it, the transmission went out..... Otherwise I never regretted buying vehicles. I either liked the looks, 96 Grand Am or the power Chev 66 1/2 ton....or 78 Chev Van or that 65 Dodge Dart with the push button transmission...My sister LOVED that. Paid $150 for it.

Old 11-26-2017, 08:50 AM

17,619 posts, read 17,665,401 times
Not quite the way you described. First car was a junker as was normal for 1980s middle to lower income family high school students of the time. I knew about most of the problems when I picked the car but with the tight budget, you get what you pay for. The next car I had issues with was a 2003 Chevy Malibu. Loved it for about 3 years and then a series of expensive repairs made me regret my choice. I enjoyed the interior &exterior styling, smooth comfortable ride, and it cornered well for a budget family sedan. Engine had a linear torque curve for smooth power delivery. The intake gasket leak and warped brake rotors were fixed but the AC control regularly broke even with new parts, usually after the one year parts warranty expired. Also, the anti-theft system was going to fail again in another few years for another $400 visit to the dealership. Other than these two reoccurring problems, I was happy with the car.

I’ve never bought a car I wasn’t happy with for appearance and drive g dynamics. I knew I wasn’t driving a sports car nor a luxury sedan and the vehicles I picked had the ride I was looking for in compromise to it’s price. My current car is my first new car purchase. I cross shopped and researched all compact class FWD sedans and hatchbacks. I eliminated those with appearances I absolutely didn’t like and narrowed the field from there. The dealership recently offered for me to trade in my Elantra for the new Elantra with only a slight bump in monthly payment amount. Though better looking inside and out and much better riding I turned down the offer. I have the car I picked and I’m keeping my promise to drive it until I have to push it. Have had the car going on three years and I’m still happy with my choice.

Old 11-26-2017, 08:54 AM

11,555 posts, read 53,177,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtt99 View Post
Man, you're a slow learner. It took you a bunch of European junk to learn that it's all junk.
NOT QUITE:

this thread was about the cars that I regretted buying ...

But there were also a hundred or so that were "winners" ... 'benz 220/240 D's, 300TD wagons, 300Dturbo 123 chassis sedans, many 450SL's 1972-1974 years, 280SE/L's 1972-1973, and a host of 450SE/L's. Along the way, a couple 250C's and 280C's ... my favorite was a '71 250C with a manual transmission bought from the original owner who had me maintain the car for 20 years before he got tired of it. A real sweetheart as a daily driver but like all of my cars for sale "at the right price".

I even scored some pretty good deals on Peugeot Diesels ... after the original owners took big hits on them, I was buying these cars for around $500-1,000 each. With proper tuning, I turned most of them for a couple grand profit. Favorite was a euro spec '82 504 Station wagon diesel with a manual trans. It didn't have A/C, but otherwise was a pleasure to drive and it consistently turned in 36-38 mpg with adequate performance to cruise 75-ish mph. It started readily at my mountain house at 9,000' elevation in freezing weather, too.

One of our shop parts runners/loaner was a VW diesel Pick-Up. I bought it with a blown head gasket and after modest repairs, that truck went 150,000 miles with nothing more than routine servicing. I had less than $1,000 in that truck. Sold it for $1,700 after all that service. Pretty bare bones utility for cheap.

I had a 'benz client with a car dealer license approach me once about taking on a lot full of USA cars since I had the lot space and a high traffic count storefront location. He had a connection with a bank repo department. Foolishly, I said "Yes" to his proposal to stock me with a few late model cars. The next day, his runners brought me 30 cars, all 1-3 years old ... Fords, Chevy's (lots of Monte Carlo's, I recall), a couple of Caddy's, and a few Chrysler line cars. I did my best to get into the happy mode with these lumps ... and just couldn't do it. Probably half of them would've qualified for "lemon law" buy-backs if the buyers had been better informed about their rights to do so while they owned the cars. ALL of them were disappointing to drive ... the handling/brakes/drivability/seating & ergonomics/steering feedback/road feel were uniformly terrible compared to the euro cars I was driving at the time. After a week of trying to "like" any of these cars, I called the guy up and told him to get these POS's outta' here.

Had I been a buyer of any of them, they would have been "buyer's remorse" cars. Fortunately, neither my client or I had spent any money on them. We'd invested some time but that was all. Reluctantly, the bank picked them all up and I was happy to see them all gone from my place.

PS: you missed in my post that the BMW 2002 model was a consistent winner for me to buy/resell and I enjoyed driving them, too. To the point that I still have my '72 that I bought NEW, one of the few cars I've ever bought new.

Old 11-26-2017, 09:02 AM

344 posts, read 245,054 times
I've been fortunate to have never been stuck with a lemon and always had my cars for many years. The only car that I was disappointed in was a Corvette - think it was an 81. I had wanted one for as long as I can remember. Finally got one - thought it drove like a truck. Hated it. Recently gave up my little Chevy (too little - didn't feel it was safe enough) and got a Mazda 6, which I am loving.

Old 11-26-2017, 09:30 AM

3,648 posts, read 3,784,210 times
A Pontiac Sunbird. Gutless. Worthless on snow. Would at least move forward on dry roads. Heater barely worked. Hard to get kids into and out of.

The only time I've had "buyer's remorse."

Old 11-26-2017, 09:55 AM

20,868 posts, read 23,550,845 times
Yes but only once. I bought a 1987 Dodge Daytona new. Paid too much for it and it turned out to be a piece of junk. I had so many issues with it that in the 3 years I owned it the service manager got to know me by name.

Old 11-26-2017, 10:15 AM

17,307 posts, read 22,039,209 times
Had a BMW M3 (hard top) and the car was great. Ordered a new 2002 M3 convertible (new model, almost 100 HP more, convertible)........put $15000 down to keep the payment reasonable ($960 month/48 months). Leaving the dealership, top down racing through a tunnel and it hit me.......I liked the old car better! I kept the car about 22 months and sold it. Loved the way it looked, hated the engine/exhaust sounds.

Car simply wasn't worth the money (to me)......one cool story with the car though:

Went to Palm Beach with my cousin and leaving the Breakers hotel I did a traffic light drag race with a Mercedes S430........Paris Hilton was driving! Sadly the big S class had the torque to jump off the line and after we got near 100 mph I quickly backed off as she would probably get a pass and I would probably get arrested.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive