Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2017, 07:38 AM

4,176 posts, read 2,580,215 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dc1538 View Post
It should have a sticker on the window if the recall repair was done.At least my 2009 did. It was a pretty big deal so I'm sure there's any extremly small chance of buying one that wasn't repaired.
Thanks dc1538, that's very good to know. That would give more to choose from. Right now I'm just window shopping, but they sure go fast.

I had found a little 2007 Toyota something or other for just under $5000 (can't remember exactly) at the same place online as the truck above with 86,000 (?) miles on it. Then after checking out it's info on carfax, etc, and coming back it was gone. I guess when I get the money I'll have to jump on it fast, or else, lol. I snooze I lose. But then more expensive ones were substituted for it. Maybe a bait, and switch, or not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2017, 10:33 AM

14,394 posts, read 11,274,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
A cream puff like this is what to look for...
https://www.ebay.com/itm/2008-Buick-...5aHIyY&vxp=mtr
Looks very clean, I wonder if you can get the old person smell out of it though.

For a car like this I'd worry if the engine was ever revved above 2k RPM, and if it's still on original tires and battery.

Old 12-02-2017, 12:59 PM

4,747 posts, read 2,353,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAAN View Post
Im looking more at 2007-2012ish cars now, just to have a tad more safety features like stability control and side airbags standard.

I had a 1995 Ford Taurus I bought in 2000 with 50K miles on it and 2 years later when I had to get rid of it at 75K I had already, replaced the leaking radiator, had a blown head gasket, cv joints were starting to fail, the AC compressor went bad, the transmission was starting to shift rough, and the engine would kinda rattle going uphill, unleaded I used Mid-grade or Premium. Surprisingly, my 2000 Taurus w/Duratec I bought in 2002 w/75K is now up to 263K, with minor issues along the way, but nothing major until 175K and up like the spark plug blew out the socket, but other than that everything else is more wear items now.
My 23 year old Accord (123,000 miles) has never been in the shop other than for regular maintenance (replaced the timing belt). I replaced the brake pads myself at 65,000 miles, and I change my own oil and spark plugs. My brother's 2000 Accord is pushing 400,000 miles and that V-6 still runs as smooth as silk. It is on it's second automatic transmission however. The superior build quality of Honda's and Toyota's is no urban legend.

Old 12-03-2017, 08:07 AM

2,211 posts, read 1,577,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easy62 View Post
Get what you want and can afford, I’m sick and tired of this Japanese vs American cars, get what you want. Every automaker has had problems, hell they get their parts from the same suppliers.
Some have less problems than others, and no they frequently don't get from the same suppliers. Could be regional.. could be many factors.

Old 12-03-2017, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tired of the Nonsense View Post
My 23 year old Accord (123,000 miles) has never been in the shop other than for regular maintenance (replaced the timing belt). I replaced the brake pads myself at 65,000 miles, and I change my own oil and spark plugs. My brother's 2000 Accord is pushing 400,000 miles and that V-6 still runs as smooth as silk. It is on it's second automatic transmission however. The superior build quality of Honda's and Toyota's is no urban legend.
At what mileage do you advise changing the timing belt/chain? Thanks ahead of time.

Old 12-03-2017, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlulu23 View Post
At what mileage do you advise changing the timing belt/chain? Thanks ahead of time.
Honda recommends changing the belt every ten years. It's more of an aging problem than wear. I am past due for a second change. That's because when I inspected my first belt it was still in perfect condition. A broken timing belt can potentially result in catastrophic engine failure however. So it becomes a bit of a game of Russian roulette to stretch it out too far. I am currently at 123,000 miles, and have been intending to change that belt again when I get to 130,000. I have a friend who has an Accord just like mine with over 200,000 miles, and she has never changed the timing belt.

Old 12-03-2017, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tired of the Nonsense View Post
Honda recommends changing the belt every ten years. It's more of an aging problem than wear. I am past due for a second change. That's because when I inspected my first belt it was still in perfect condition. A broken timing belt can potentially result in catastrophic engine failure however. So it becomes a bit of a game of Russian roulette to stretch it out too far. I am currently at 123,000 miles, and have been intending to change that belt again when I get to 130,000. I have a friend who has an Accord just like mine with over 200,000 miles, and she has never changed the timing belt.
Thanks Tired, In an earlier post I explained how I had two break in two different kinds of cars which ruined them, at least for me since I didn't have the money for an engine. I'm now a little skittish about them. I guess if I buy an older honda, or toyota I should just assume it hasn't been changed, unless carfax says it has, and plan on changing it. Aprox how much does that run? Probably a lot, but cheaper than a new engine, lol.

Old 12-03-2017, 12:46 PM

1,275 posts, read 1,252,408 times
Here's an excellent resource for determining the timing belt change interval for most cars sold in the US and Canada.

https://www.gates.com/~/media/files/...uide.pdf?la=en

In most cases there are other parts that should or must be replaced at the same time, such as the roller/idlers, tensioner and water pump. There's no reason to replace only the belt itself, because the other parts are relatively cheap compared to the labor cost. And if the other parts fail, it does not matter how new the belt is -- it could still result in smashed valves that mean a full rebuild of the cylinder head.

As for timing chains, there's no fixed mileage number; but they all wear out gradually. Sometimes there are symptoms that the chain is stretching, and you never want to wait until it breaks.

If you buy a used car without service records, and you don't know if the timing belt has been replaced or the timing chain has been serviced, then you really do need to take preventive action. Do not wait for them to fail.

Old 12-03-2017, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Baustian View Post
Here's an excellent resource for determining the timing belt change interval for most cars sold in the US and Canada.

https://www.gates.com/~/media/files/...uide.pdf?la=en

In most cases there are other parts that should or must be replaced at the same time, such as the roller/idlers, tensioner and water pump. There's no reason to replace only the belt itself, because the other parts are relatively cheap compared to the labor cost. And if the other parts fail, it does not matter how new the belt is -- it could still result in smashed valves that mean a full rebuild of the cylinder head.

As for timing chains, there's no fixed mileage number; but they all wear out gradually. Sometimes there are symptoms that the chain is stretching, and you never want to wait until it breaks.

If you buy a used car without service records, and you don't know if the timing belt has been replaced or the timing chain has been serviced, then you really do need to take preventive action. Do not wait for them to fail.
This is wonderful info J, thank you very much. I'm saving what you guys tell me for future reference. Now something that I've wondered forever. What is the difference between a timing chain, and a timing belt? I guess I could look it up online, but since I have you cornered I'll ask now . Much appreciated. This is probably my last question.

Old 12-03-2017, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlulu23 View Post
Thanks Tired, In an earlier post I explained how I had two break in two different kinds of cars which ruined them, at least for me since I didn't have the money for an engine. I'm now a little skittish about them. I guess if I buy an older honda, or toyota I should just assume it hasn't been changed, unless carfax says it has, and plan on changing it. Aprox how much does that run? Probably a lot, but cheaper than a new engine, lol.
That would be the best plan. If you take care of a Honda it can last you for years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive