Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2017, 07:06 PM

35,067 posts, read 17,014,369 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drago45 View Post
My car overheated the other night and I had it towed. I had my dad look at it first and we could see that one of the hoses was leaking after adding coolant. He thought that both the thermostat and hose needed to be replaced and even told that to the guy at the counter when I dropped the car off.

They called later and told me it would cost 400 to fix. I went back the next day to pick up the car. A few miles up the road, I could hear something leaking when I was stopped at a light. The same damn hose was leaking. I took it back over there and they kept it for another night.

When I picked it up today, I was told that they replaced the thermostadt and housing but not the hose originally....so they replaced the hose and tested charged me another $250.
I figured it was all good and wanted my car back so I went ahead and paid it.

I got the car home and it seemed to run ok. When I went to start it back up, I noticed that it was idling a littme rough and it felt like the car shaking a little bit and the check engine light was on. I couldnt get back to the shop today due to work so I
called over there and the guy played stupid and said to bring it back when I can.

I am a bit leery about taking it back there after I paid almost $700 and they still could not get it right. Thought about going back to the dealer but I know they will rake me (which is why I did not go originally....but perhaps that is the lesser of two evils? Or maybe find a different shop?

It is upsetting that I paid this shop so much money and not only was it a hassle to fix the original issue but they might have caused a different issue which I will have to pay for. Any suggestions?
If you paid by credit card you should be able to reverse the charges. Then take the car to a dealer of that make of car.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2017, 08:15 PM

6,980 posts, read 5,421,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
If you paid by credit card you should be able to reverse the charges. Then take the car to a dealer of that make of car.
If you reverse the charges be prepared to be sued by the repair shop.

Old 11-30-2017, 10:01 PM

739 posts, read 843,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easy62 View Post
So you would recommend suing them instead? They are the ones that ripped me off.

Old 12-01-2017, 04:47 AM

Quote:
They may or may not sue for such a small amount of money.
Quote:
So you would recommend suing them instead? They are the ones that ripped me off.
I can't give formal legal advice outside of New York. Suing people though often turns out to be very disappointing. It's often hard to collect a judgment against thieves. If you reverse the credit card charges you stand a good chance of not being out the money.

Old 12-01-2017, 05:22 AM

6,980 posts, read 5,421,309 times
[quote=Drago45;50273156]So you would recommend suing them instead? They are the ones that ripped me off.[/QUOT

Yes but get legal consultation first, most lawyers the first visit is free, and have you ever seen the people’s court people are suing repair shops all the time in small claims court. Even for a few hundred dollars, and repair shops will sue for a small amount also because to them it’s their reputation on the line. And a few hundred dollars is allot to a small repair shop. Just do not half hazerdly say I’m going to stop payment because you could be breaking the law also, get legal advice. Also if you do take them to small claims court you better have paper work to back up your claim, better yet a licensed mechanic as a witness who will testify under oath. Also you can’t stop payment on a credit card you have to call the credit card holder and dispute the charges only they can stop the transaction after they investigate the charges not you.

Last edited by easy62; 12-01-2017 at 05:52 AM..

Old 12-01-2017, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Yes but get legal consultation first, most lawyers the first visit is free, and have you ever seen the people’s court people are suing repair shops all the time in small claims court. Even for a few hundred dollars, and repair shops will sue for a small amount also because to them it’s their reputation on the line. And a few hundred dollars is allot to a small repair shop. Just do not half hazerdly say I’m going to stop payment because you could be breaking the law also, get legal advice. Also if you do take them to small claims court you better have paper work to back up your claim, better yet a licensed mechanic as a witness who will testify under oath. Also you can’t stop payment on a credit card you have to call the credit card holder and dispute the charges only they can stop the transaction after they investigate the charges not you.
It's the Fair Credit Billing Act I believe. Be aware of tight deadlines. And I think you meant the issuer, not holder.

I used it successfully back in June against a part of a hotel bill. I stayed at a leading luxury hotel in Washington for an American Jewish Committee convention. The food was catered by a Kosher affiliate of the hotel. The Sunday night dinner was rancid and returned by wight of the 12 people sitting at my table. The breakfast buffet the next morning was virtually out of food 20 minutes after the start of a 90 minute buffet. I disputed $50 of the $320 or so hotel charge. I won.

More recently a restaurant in Port Chester added about $10 to the bill and I disputed the charge. I won.

I parked at a muni-meter in New York City. It would only bill the maximum six hours. I was going to theater and only needed four hours. Again I successfully disputed the charge and was only billed for the elapsed time.

And last and least, my wife filled up at a Valero station in New Jersey. The attendant pumped Premium Unleaded rather than Regular Unleaded, a $0.60 difference. Again I won.

So this act is a powerful tool.

Old 12-01-2017, 08:25 AM

17,587 posts, read 15,259,939 times
Quote:
That is a fair assessment. Any chance they reimburse me some of that if I threaten not to return? I have also considered contacting my credit card company to reverse the charge or report them as a previous posted suggested if they are not willing to budge.

I am okay with the first visit charge and paying for the part only on the second visit. They did not even call me to tell me how much they would charge me the second time...did not find out until I went to pick up my car.

Debating whether to 1) Go back to the shop and let them install the pcv valve and then see if they are willing to budge on the cost (if not then try to recoup some of that through the other channels mentioned) or 2) No show my appointment to have the pcv valve installed and go to a different shop. Then try to recoup some of that via the other channels without further negotiatons with the shop. They wouldn't cave in when I politely protested the cost of the second visit so why would they now?

No chance. I hold by my "Lesson learned, don't go back" from before.

I disagree with the whole contest the charge. You have to give a reason for that, and "Their prices are too high" isn't a reason. You can do it.. Just.. Be prepared to lose.

Old 12-01-2017, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
No chance. I hold by my "Lesson learned, don't go back" from before.

I disagree with the whole contest the charge. You have to give a reason for that, and "Their prices are too high" isn't a reason. You can do it.. Just.. Be prepared to lose.
Poor quality repairs, though, may be a reason.

Old 12-01-2017, 09:55 AM

6,915 posts, read 3,951,965 times
Quote:
My car overheated the other night and I had it towed. I had my dad look at it first and we could see that one of the hoses was leaking after adding coolant. He thought that both the thermostat and hose needed to be replaced and even told that to the guy at the counter when I dropped the car off.

They called later and told me it would cost 400 to fix. I went back the next day to pick up the car. A few miles up the road, I could hear something leaking when I was stopped at a light. The same damn hose was leaking. I took it back over there and they kept it for another night.

When I picked it up today, I was told that they replaced the thermostadt and housing but not the hose originally....so they replaced the hose and tested charged me another $250.
I figured it was all good and wanted my car back so I went ahead and paid it.

I got the car home and it seemed to run ok. When I went to start it back up, I noticed that it was idling a littme rough and it felt like the car shaking a little bit and the check engine light was on. I couldnt get back to the shop today due to work so I
called over there and the guy played stupid and said to bring it back when I can.

I am a bit leery about taking it back there after I paid almost $700 and they still could not get it right. Thought about going back to the dealer but I know they will rake me (which is why I did not go originally....but perhaps that is the lesser of two evils? Or maybe find a different shop?

It is upsetting that I paid this shop so much money and not only was it a hassle to fix the original issue but they might have caused a different issue which I will have to pay for. Any suggestions?
Why did you knuckle under and pay out more money beyond the original repair? I would have gone back in after the first repair and told them in no uncertain terms to fix my car CORRECTLY and that they would be getting no further monetary compensation, since the problem should have been diagnosed and repaired the first time you brought the car to them. They either do a correct re-diagnosis and repair FOR NOTHING or the state DMV will be notified.

Old 12-01-2017, 10:04 AM

6,915 posts, read 3,951,965 times
Quote:
Wow....I was ripped off. We told them what the problem was (thermostat and hose) and they decided to do it their way (only replaced the thermostat originally) and charge me more for their screw up when they should have covered it.

I am leery about driving the car but I guess it should be ok.
Don't mess with coolant system issues, or you will ruin your car. I lost my first car due to TWO different dealerships screwing up the diagnosis (1st time thermostat, 2nd time heater core, neither which was the actual problem), and I wasn't the "takes no excrement" type of person in those days, so I didn't go back and confront either one. By the time I did get the problem taken care of, the damage had been done, and one of the cylinder heads cracked, so that was the end of that car. I sold it to a junk yard and went out and bought my present car.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive