Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2017, 05:21 PM

739 posts, read 843,760 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
Seems to me she has a legitimate dispute. She took the car in to be fixed, and the car was not fixed. If the car was not performing any better after the replaced thermostat then there's no clear evidence the thermostat even needed replacing. Or that it was even replaced! Wouldn't be the first time a shop charged for a service that wasn't even performed. After all, if they had replaced the thermostat properly that would have included testing which would have revealed the leaking. Let them prove it.

The caveat though is that in most if not all states exists the "mechanic's lien" which might allow them to file a lien against your title and possibly repor for unpaid repairs.
Any reason why you would assume I am a woman? This is the second poster that assumed that. Do only women get ripped off by mechanics?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2017, 05:23 PM

35,075 posts, read 17,024,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
Seems to me she has a legitimate dispute. She took the car in to be fixed, and the car was not fixed. If the car was not performing any better after the replaced thermostat then there's no clear evidence the thermostat even needed replacing. Or that it was even replaced! Wouldn't be the first time a shop charged for a service that wasn't even performed. After all, if they had replaced the thermostat properly that would have included testing which would have revealed the leaking. Let them prove it.

The caveat though is that in most if not all states exists the "mechanic's lien" which might allow them to file a lien against your title and possibly repor for unpaid repairs.
In NY it's called a "garageman's lien" and is possessory. If they released the car they released the lien, unless attached to the car by Court order, typically that of a bankruptcy court. A mechanic's lien is for an improvement to real property or for the rental or sale of real property.

I don't know other state's laws but that's New York.

Old 12-02-2017, 06:43 AM

22,146 posts, read 33,544,925 times
Screw yelp. That’s like pissing in the wind as far as actually getting results

Go find your states bureau of automotive repairs. Ask them to look into the repair.

And when you take a car in and you tell them the upper radiator hose is leaking that’s what they should replace first. Unfortunately there are a lot of these dishonest shops all over the place and you’re not going to know it until after the job is done.

I wouldn’t go back there for repairs but I would want a explanation

Did they do a pressure test of the system to determine the actual leak.

If they did why was not THAT specific area repaired?

What was replaced for the initial $400 and why it was replaced when the leak was coming from the hose

Why was the thermostat and housing replaced the second time but not the upper radiator hose.

Since your car is running rough and a CEL is on I would have it checked as you could of overheated it and possibly damaged something since it was ran low on coolant repeatedly. If you used a credit card I would dispute the charges as the vehicke was not fixed correctly and it’s now in worse shape than before. IMO the guy is not guessing but he is definitely overcharging you by adding possibly unneeded work.. The initial repair of the upper hose should be about 80-100 bucks. That’s shop rate.
Why didn’t your dad diy it? Hell its two clamps and a little coolant.

Old 12-02-2017, 08:16 AM

739 posts, read 843,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
Screw yelp. That’s like pissing in the wind as far as actually getting results

Go find your states bureau of automotive repairs. Ask them to look into the repair.
Good idea.

Quote:
And when you take a car in and you tell them the upper radiator hose is leaking that’s what they should replace first. Unfortunately there are a lot of these dishonest shops all over the place and you’re not going to know it until after the job is done.
Perhaps the guy at the counter failed to communicate that to the mechanic. Perhaps he was offended that he was being told how to do his job and told them not to do it out of spite. Difficult to tell. He was very polite and friendly but that could just be an act. The mechanic that picked me up and dropped me off was also friendly. I am leaning toward incompetence but they could have been intentionally deceptive. Difficult to tell.

Quote:
I wouldn’t go back there for repairs but I would want a explanation

Did they do a pressure test of the system to determine the actual leak.

If they did why was not THAT specific area repaired?

What was replaced for the initial $400 and why it was replaced when the leak was coming from the hose
Not sure that this included a pressure test as it does not say that on the invoice.

This is what is listed for the first visit:

Diagnostic
Remove and replace thermostat and gasket
Cooling System Flush

Quote:
Why was the thermostat and housing replaced the second time but not the upper radiator hose.
That was replaced the first time. They should have replaced the hose as well. When I went back the second time, they charged me again for removing the intake and then replaced the hose. His explanation was that they did not want to charge me for a hose (which was only $25) if I didn't need it. I would have been more than willing to pay the $25 which would have eliminated the need for the $250 on the next visit!

Quote:
Since your car is running rough and a CEL is on I would have it checked as you could of overheated it and possibly damaged something since it was ran low on coolant repeatedly. If you used a credit card I would dispute the charges as the vehicke was not fixed correctly and it’s now in worse shape than before. IMO the guy is not guessing but he is definitely overcharging you by adding possibly unneeded work.. The initial repair of the upper hose should be about 80-100 bucks. That’s shop rate.
Why didn’t your dad diy it? Hell its two clamps and a little coolant.
I pulled over immediately when the light came on. It has had coolant ever since unless the mechanic ran it without coolant. I wouldn't think they would be that stupid though.

I did use a credit card. I have no problem paying the $400 as that was what I was originally quoted (even if a bit high). I do have a problem paying $250 as I should not have to pay for them having to remove the intake again (which was $160 and then another $30 for more coolant). They should also pay the $250+ bill at the second shop but I seriously doubt they would be willing to do that as they told me to bring it back there and I just did not trust them at that point.

We didn't have time to DIY as this happened Monday morning and we both had to work all week and I needed the car to drive. I ended up not being able to drive the car most of the week anyway! I borrowed a vehicle for a few days and rented a vehicle while my car is at the second shop as I could not get a ride at the time. That's another $50 down the drain.

Last edited by Drago45; 12-02-2017 at 08:24 AM..

Old 12-02-2017, 10:33 AM

7,934 posts, read 8,593,400 times
Most auto repair shops are professional rip off artists in my experience.

Either buy a new car with warranty or learn how to fix your old clunker yourself.

Old 12-02-2017, 02:54 PM

35,075 posts, read 17,024,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drago45 View Post
I did use a credit card. I have no problem paying the $400 as that was what I was originally quoted (even if a bit high). I do have a problem paying $250 as I should not have to pay for them having to remove the intake again (which was $160 and then another $30 for more coolant). They should also pay the $250+ bill at the second shop but I seriously doubt they would be willing to do that as they told me to bring it back there and I just did not trust them at that point.
Thisi s not legal advice but it seems that the expenses at the second shop were the result of the incompetence or dishonesty of the mechanics at the first shop. I am thinking you should dispute the credit card charge.

Old 12-04-2017, 12:14 PM

4,019 posts, read 3,953,588 times
Always read Yelp reviews before having work done at any auto shop.

Personally I would only go to AAA certified shop. A bad shop will overcharge you and still not do the repair right and possibly make the problem even worse. I would never go to a dealer either. The vast majority are crooks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive