Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2017, 01:45 PM

1,095 posts, read 1,055,110 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
It’s built to handle that kind of speed, but only if it is sloppy. Additional wear to the drive systems will result if the pavement is smooth but just icy, and 4WD won’t help you stop. I have that problem this morning, 27F and freezing fog, which means black ice here and there, but I won’t use 4WD on my F150, just go slow especially around curves, and drop to 2nd going down steep hills. You have good tires for it, but it still helps to put 3-4 sand bags in the bed over the rear tires.
Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpio516 View Post
What does the user manual say?

I'd wager no problems at all. DCX said Jeep Libertys could live in 4WD Hi
Both are good advice for any long distance use of any 4 WD system.

There is a need for some slippage under the tires to compensate for the slight difference in wheel speed normal between the axles which is why it's a very bad idea to operate 4WD on DRY ground/pavement.

Best thing to remember is ............4WD will only help at slow speed when your tires grab the best. All the other forces that affect every vehicle on the road still apply.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2017, 02:23 PM

1,062 posts, read 979,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaErik View Post
Your post is a perfect example of false information. I have extensive experience with 4WD vehicles and winter conditions and your assertion is patently false.
No it's not false. You are false

Old 12-05-2017, 02:25 PM

1,062 posts, read 979,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JONOV View Post
If that were the case, why would they make it with a 4 High? I acknowledge that it isn't to be used on dry pavement, like the 4A settings you see on some trucks (4 Automatic.)

The purpose of the 4 Hi is to let you travel at speed with subpar road conditions, be it mud, snow, ice, etc...
Hi and Lo refer to the gear ratios not whether there's a center differential (there isn't)

Old 12-05-2017, 02:59 PM

13,705 posts, read 12,413,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by earthisle View Post
Hi and Lo refer to the gear ratios not whether there's a center differential (there isn't)
But your premise is that you don't use it except to unstick yourself. Why would you need a gear ratio allowing you to travel at normal speeds and normal RPM's if all your trying to do is get yourself unstuck, which presumably means your stopped?

Last edited by JONOV; 12-05-2017 at 03:08 PM..

Old 12-05-2017, 03:13 PM

24,557 posts, read 18,230,382 times
I've driven 100+ highway miles in an old school 4wd system many times during snow storms. It's been a really long time since I've owned a car like that but it's no big deal other than really ugly fuel economy. If the tires are on black pavement tracks with white in between, I'd take it out of 4WD. Back in the dark ages in a Willys, you'd have to stop and go flip the Warn hubs on the front wheels. You'd have to put it in reverse briefly to get it out of 4wd.

If I had a 40 mile each way commute, I'd consider doing it in a used FWD Japanese econobox with good snow tires unless I needed the pickup for work. The depreciation and fuel burn on a full size pickup would be enormous. I had Blizzak WSx0 tires once. They went into the dumpster at 12,000 miles when the outer layer wore off and that superb ice grip vanished. I'd probably run the Nokian WR winter-rated all seasons if I had a big commute like that.

My personal experience with heavy SUVs is that they're frightening on black ice. They want to go straight no matter what you do with steering, braking, and accelerator inputs. I always ran studded Nokians on them. They drove like farm equipment but they'd actually corner and stop when you needed them to.

Old 12-05-2017, 03:30 PM

2,458 posts, read 2,473,619 times
Driving a pickup truck in snow requires weight in the back, good tires, and most importantly, driving experience. If you still can't make a go of it, just stay at home and drink beer.

Old 12-05-2017, 04:27 PM
KCZ

4,662 posts, read 3,658,309 times
Quote:
I have no idea why people go on forums and give false information. 4WD with the axles locked together is DANGEROUS on ice and snow. It's ONLY to be used to get unstuck. The lack of ability for the axles to spin at different speeds causes traction to be lost
Then I have no idea why my 3 Xterras' owners manuals say that 4 High can be used on "rocky, sandy, and snowy roads" and why I've been successfully using them that way for years. 4 Low is useful for getting unstuck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by branDcalf View Post
I've recently had to start driving 40 miles on an interstate highway several times a week. With snow and ice it would be handy to use the 4WD. Not sure about leaving it engaged for several miles. Used to on dirt and off road (when covered in snow and ice), but now I'm going about 40-45 mph. That's new for me. I drive a Ram 1500 and my winter tires are Blizzaks.

I would appreciate opinions.
Yes, it's OK to leave your 4WD in 4 High as long as the pavement is slippery. I live in snow country and do this all the time. Don't try it on dry pavement, and it's not useful for merely wet pavement. Your owners manual probably gives some upper speed limit for 4 High, but 45 mph is likely well below their recommendation.

Old 12-05-2017, 06:17 PM

3,647 posts, read 3,781,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaErik View Post
We know you have a half ton, but what year and what trim level? A picture of your transfer case shifter, if it's on the dash, would also be helpful. If your transfer case shifter is on the floor, we just need to know that...no picture needed.
4WD for distances-2013_ram_1500_dashboard.jpg

No F/T 4 WD.

Old 12-05-2017, 06:24 PM

2,022 posts, read 1,650,286 times
Quote:
No it's not false. You are false
Says the guy from Austin.

AlaskaErik is right. There are plenty of times you want to be in 4wd at speed. Going up a steep hill on ice is one. Having to cross the ridge of snow that accumulates between lanes when passing is another.

My truck is part time 4wd with manual hubs and a transfer case shift lever on the hump between the seats. I will typically lock the hubs sometime in October or November and leave them locked until April. I switch in and out of 4wd using the lever as conditions dictate. I drive thousands of miles a year on snow and ice pulling a trailer. I routinely do a 240 mile round trip entirely in 4wd at speeds up to 70 mph.

If the road is snowy or icy you want to be in 4wd BEFORE you get stuck.

Old 12-05-2017, 06:32 PM

2,025 posts, read 4,172,754 times
Quote:
I have no idea why people go on forums and give false information. 4WD with the axles locked together is DANGEROUS on ice and snow. It's ONLY to be used to get unstuck. The lack of ability for the axles to spin at different speeds causes traction to be lost
As other folks have mentioned this is absolutely false. I drove many years in AK and now in north MI and 4wd helps you travel both straight and around corners, and will also help with braking (ABS has negated this advantage) . You do have to have the sense to disengage the system when road conditions go back to normal, 4wd is a tool, it won't drive for you.

If you forget, usually what happens is that your drivetrain will wind up and will get to the point of not moving. When you experience this, you may have to back up until the drive line relaxes enough to get it out of 4wd
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive