Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2017, 08:46 AM

2,452 posts, read 2,383,376 times

Advertisements

It's hard to get , expensive and pretty pointless...It uses either a combustion engine or fuel cell to generate electricity, then store it in batteries to power an electric motor...seems pretty redundant to me...It's a overcomplicated and expensive tesla
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2017, 10:02 AM

9,613 posts, read 6,954,578 times
Are you asking a question or making a statement?

There are huge advantages to fuel cells.
1) it’s easy to make hydrogen. You can cook it up using solar panels if you want a green version.
2) it’s portable. 300-400 mile range fits in the same space your gas tank is already in and refill time is similar to conventional fuel.
3) it’s scalable. Since throwing more batteries at bigger vehicles makes them heavier and thus need more batteries. Fuel cells can keep the weight down dramatically. Space Shuttles created electricity using fuel cells. If they had used today’s lithium ion batteries it wouldn’t have gotten off the ground. As a bonus, the astronauts drank the water they created.
4) it doesn’t degrade range at low temperatures like a BEV does.

The batteries on a fuel cell are very small compared to a BEV.
For most applications like driving back and forth to work for a 20 mile round trip, a fuel cell isn’t practical nor necessary (neither is a 300 mile battery). For a semi truck or cruise ship however, fuel cells make a lot more sense.

Old 12-06-2017, 10:12 AM

33,387 posts, read 34,858,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy100 View Post
Are you asking a question or making a statement?

There are huge advantages to fuel cells.
1) it’s easy to make hydrogen. You can cook it up using solar panels if you want a green version.
2) it’s portable. 300-400 mile range fits in the same space your gas tank is already in and refill time is similar to conventional fuel.
3) it’s scalable. Since throwing more batteries at bigger vehicles makes them heavier and thus need more batteries. Fuel cells can keep the weight down dramatically. Space Shuttles created electricity using fuel cells. If they had used today’s lithium ion batteries it wouldn’t have gotten off the ground. As a bonus, the astronauts drank the water they created.
4) it doesn’t degrade range at low temperatures like a BEV does.

The batteries on a fuel cell are very small compared to a BEV.
For most applications like driving back and forth to work for a 20 mile round trip, a fuel cell isn’t practical nor necessary (neither is a 300 mile battery). For a semi truck or cruise ship however, fuel cells make a lot more sense.
^^this^^ using fuel cells to make electricity is far better than using batteries.

Old 12-06-2017, 11:08 AM

2,452 posts, read 2,383,376 times
pfff.
"The cheapest and easiest method of producing hydrogen is to extract it from methane (natural gas), though this process also produces carbon dioxide. " "A far cleaner method of manufacturing hydrogen is through the electrolysis of water, which produces hydrogen and oxygen." expensive.
" transporting hydrogen will be necessary, and transporting any fuel requires sticking it in big trucks (and potentially ships), which would once again need to be emissions-free for the process to be clean and carbon-free."
"Storing hydrogen efficiently, either on the back of a truck or underground at a service station, requires the hydrogen produced by electrolysis to be converted from a gas to a liquid, either by compressing the gas into a liquid or cooling it to liquid form. What does all this require? Yep, more energy."

Only these are enough to turn me off, and that's the tip of the iceberg

Old 12-06-2017, 11:09 AM

6,455 posts, read 9,820,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by survivingearth View Post
pfff.

So just walk where you want to go.

Old 12-06-2017, 11:15 AM

8,272 posts, read 11,000,235 times
Quote:
It's hard to get , expensive and pretty pointless..
Some forget or weren't even born when Los Angels and many other cities had constant smog.

All rivers were polluted with human waste and toxic chemicals too.

Times have changed haven't they?

China is filthy. China still dumps waste into rivesr and China still produces smog.
BUT China is working fast and furious toward alternative energy sources.
China is way ahead of the USA on solar panels and more.

We can all live in filth or we can chose to not to live in filth. Easy, ain't it.

Old 12-06-2017, 12:07 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,858,743 times
OP, technology constantly moves forward, and while right now it is expensive to produce hydrogen from water, a breakthrough in technology could make it mush less expensive.

Old 12-06-2017, 04:36 PM

9,613 posts, read 6,954,578 times
Quote:
pfff.
"The cheapest and easiest method of producing hydrogen is to extract it from methane (natural gas), though this process also produces carbon dioxide. " "A far cleaner method of manufacturing hydrogen is through the electrolysis of water, which produces hydrogen and oxygen." expensive.
" transporting hydrogen will be necessary, and transporting any fuel requires sticking it in big trucks (and potentially ships), which would once again need to be emissions-free for the process to be clean and carbon-free."
"Storing hydrogen efficiently, either on the back of a truck or underground at a service station, requires the hydrogen produced by electrolysis to be converted from a gas to a liquid, either by compressing the gas into a liquid or cooling it to liquid form. What does all this require? Yep, more energy."

All that is still true of BEVs or any other alternative fuel source. You’re simply focused on attacking one instead of the other.
Batteries are not a fuel source. Fuel cells create power. Hydrogen is the storage and as a storage medium it’s superior to batteries in terms of energy density, weight, portability, and refuel times.
You cannot wholesale replace every carbon emissions source with just a bunch batteries and solar panels and expect everything to work like it did before but without the carbon. The best can hope for is either make energy consumption more efficient and live with lower emissions, or live like a caveman. You can have it both ways.

Last edited by Ziggy100; 12-06-2017 at 04:57 PM..

Old 12-06-2017, 04:52 PM

4,540 posts, read 2,770,924 times
Quote:
It's hard to get , expensive and pretty pointless...It uses either a combustion engine or fuel cell to generate electricity, then store it in batteries to power an electric motor...seems pretty redundant to me...It's a overcomplicated and expensive tesla
But it seems like a cool idea to people who don't understand details.

Including but not limited to politicians, CEO's and marketing types.

Old 12-06-2017, 05:34 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,848,066 times
I had a client who installed fuel cells in hospitals, hotels and sometimes houses. They ran on natural gas. They produced heat, water and oxygen from the natural gas. The hot water could be used for heating the building. their big drawback is they were very large and very expensive to install and maintain.

I do not know how the fuel cell gets hydrogen from the natural gas. I do not know how the fuel cell produces electricity whether it is part of the reaction, or the heat and water is used to turn a turbine. I just do not remember.

For a while the company had a deal with a home builder. Instead of a third garage bay, a home buyer could opt for a fuel cell. I think it cost $70,000. Pretty sure that was after the government subsidy. The fuel cell produced enough power for the whole house, and at night could produce power to sell back to the utility and thereby pay for the costs of the natural gas for all of its use. The purchase cost would eventually be recaptured through savings on energy bills. However the maintenance was an added cost.

I am pretty sure the company folded up in the recession and I have not heard anything more about this program since.

I do know they had some fuel cell buses running in Chicago and a fuel cell car in California (Toyota). Suddenly I heard nothing more about the whole fuel cell thing. Possibly in large part becausee I no longer had the client feeding me links and other reports and information.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive