Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2017, 12:04 PM

1,360 posts, read 1,391,212 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Why would you need AWD in the lower Hudson? You only see 40" to 50" of snow per winter. The roads are plowed and salted.
The roads are not really plowed and salted when I commute. If it starts snowing at 11 pm, you can bet the road will be all screwed up for my usual 4 am commute. So instead of leaving my house at midnight before the snow intensifies, I would much rather get a good nights sleep (at home) and leave for work 30 minutes earlier than usual with an AWD vehicle.
While my Subaru gave me all kinds of mechanical headaches, it was awesome in the snow.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2017, 04:41 AM

523 posts, read 1,680,370 times
OP - My commute is similar to yours, 100 miles r/t in the Lower Hudson Valley. Check out the Honda HR-V. It's smaller than a CR-V, but has good space inside for cargo and people; is available with all wheel drive; and the gas mileage is better than the CR-V. (I average around 32 +/-.) The technology features are good. I find it to be a comfortable daily commuting vehicle.

By the way, the HR-V replaced my trusty CR-V (which had 375k miles).

Old 12-11-2017, 05:38 AM

3,378 posts, read 9,209,035 times
My 4.5 inch ground clearance fwd Jetta did fine in Breckenridge CO for a winter....because of quality snow tires.

You don't need AWD for a highway commute. Save your dollars and wasted fuel and avoid awd

Old 12-11-2017, 06:12 AM

13,258 posts, read 22,839,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wankel7 View Post
My 4.5 inch ground clearance fwd Jetta did fine in Breckenridge CO for a winter....because of quality snow tires.

You don't need AWD for a highway commute. Save your dollars and wasted fuel and avoid awd
Our Legacy is getting 32-33 mpg in majority city use, better its the non-hybrid Camry peer. If you are worried about fuel economy, it’s more important to go sedan over SUV/CUV these days rather than to worry about AWD instead of FWD or RWD

Old 12-11-2017, 07:39 AM

3,444 posts, read 2,818,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wankel7 View Post

Not sure what your MPG is for your Jetta, but my husband's Forester averages 30 MPG.

I don't understand why people continue to feel the need to tell the OP that he/she doesn't need AWD. They want AWD for their own reasons. They didn't ask whether they should buy an AWD vehicle, they asked for advice on which AWD vehicle to get.

Old 12-11-2017, 07:40 AM

1,066 posts, read 766,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grouse789 View Post
My wife had an outback from 2002-2009. I know people love them, and I guess mine was a lemon. 7 years and over $7000 in repairs is no joke. Won't be buying Subaru again.

Meh, I see certified rav's going for 22-23,000. New out the door according to edmunds forums are $25,000.
Hit or miss with those. My sister in law bought one and had lots of trouble with it, traded in for another one hoping the first was just a lemon and again had problems. A coworker had an older 90s model and it seemed fine.

RAV or CRV, my first choice would be for the Toyota though... and I think you can find hybrid models in both of these now. Agree with other poster, the 2017 models will be marked down (but probably not by much).

Old 12-11-2017, 09:16 AM

3,378 posts, read 9,209,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenlove View Post
Not sure what your MPG is for your Jetta, but my husband's Forester averages 30 MPG.

I don't understand why people continue to feel the need to tell the OP that he/she doesn't need AWD. They want AWD for their own reasons. They didn't ask whether they should buy an AWD vehicle, they asked for advice on which AWD vehicle to get.
45mpg hand calculated with the biggest roof box Thule makes on the roof.

I offered the snow tire in lieu of awd because it is the advice I wanted to give. And because the OP didn't mention they had snow tires on their Yaris.

There is a very good chance they never even thought about it.

Old 12-11-2017, 09:46 AM

13,713 posts, read 12,435,560 times
Subaru Forester. Also, spend $400 on a set of snow tires each fall.

Old 12-11-2017, 09:52 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,305,052 times
My 08 Yaris sedan drives great in the snow,you do have snow tires on it?

Old 12-11-2017, 10:55 AM

13,713 posts, read 12,435,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
Why would you need AWD in the lower Hudson? You only see 40" to 50" of snow per winter. The roads are plowed and salted. You don't need AWD unless your driveway is really steep.
Some people have different needs than others. If you absolutely have to be there no matter what, then your "need" calculus might shift.

If you have to be there before everyone else and before the plows are likely to be out, your "need" calculus might shift.

If you work in healthcare, you will get to work if they have to send the plow truck to get you, and you will spend the night if you can't get home and back safely.

In my mom's old school district, the principle and one other person (usually the head Custodian) HAD to be at school at a certain time EVEN WHEN THEY CLOSED THE SCHOOL for snow. All the principles had an SUV/AWD car to get into the school. Oftentimes they would send the custodian home in the district's plow truck to make sure he could get back in the AM.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive